Hearing a alert tone ding when in 1st gear before shifting

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep hearing an alert tone/ding from the dash instrument panel while going through 1st gear just normal driving. I know there is a skip shift indicator, but this does it on just very little normal take off, nothing hard accelerating, do not see any light coming on. Can't seem to figure out what it is from, and it just recently started doing this, still drives normal.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do any messages pop up in the odometer?

From experience, a low tire pressure warning will make a chime, but it'll also pop up a low/flat tire warning in the odometer. TPMS light may or may not turn on depending on whether or not the bulb has burned out.

OP
OP

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From experience, a low tire pressure warning will make a chime, but it'll also pop up a low/flat tire warning in the odometer. TPMS light may or may not turn on depending on whether or not the bulb has burned out.
I have not sen one unless it is just popping up real fast and going away...will keep an eye on it. Thx!

OP
OP

2quik6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So weather has not cooperated with me for almost two months, but finally got the car out again, and YES there is a "low tire" message pops up for a split second every time it dings! If you hear the tone and look down, it will already be gone, so starring at it it does keep flashing up every 15-20 secs.
Checked air and did have a tire a little low, added air, issue is gone....never even new this car had tire sensors back in 2005, my '05 truck sure doesn't.
Thanks

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So weather has not cooperated with me for almost two months, but finally got the car out again, and YES there is a "low tire" message pops up for a split second every time it dings! If you hear the tone and look down, it will already be gone, so starring at it it does keep flashing up every 15-20 secs.
Checked air and did have a tire a little low, added air, issue is gone....never even new this car had tire sensors back in 2005, my '05 truck sure doesn't.
Thanks
You likely also have a burned out TPMS warning light bulb in the gauge cluster, but that's a job for another day.

Glad you got it sorted!

gregrowell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will probably / likely join the Gen III Club with the obligatory "Lo-Pressure" light on constantly. This year's model does NOT have TPMS sensors that learn on their own and clear the Lo-Pressure indicator in the Odometer. (Trust me here.) After finding out a certain (Dodge only) scan tool is needed to program the OEM TPMS's (if you can find them new)....AND....many dealers don't have said scan tool or tech's that know how to re-sett......Well, I gave up. (It stays on Lo-Pressure, chimes at start up (only) and I just live with it. Once I found out that this Lo-Pressure will NOT fail me on yearly inspections in Texas---well, I just live it. Small price to pay. When I see Gen III's for sale, my eyes are always drawn to the odometer and guess what ---they say Lo-Pressure. Love my Gen3. 2nd owner, owned it now for 13 years 48K miles and counting!

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
You can buy programmable sensors that you can clone to the OEM ids. That way you don't have to reprogram the car itself. The trick there is you need the OEM ids to start with. If you're lucky you can get them off the sensors themselves. They should be on a sticker on them, but at 20 years old they might have been damaged over the years and tire changes. I'm currently running two full sets of programmable ones, one in track tires and one in my street rims.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala