Heffner Twin Turbo..how much?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if you buy now you might regret it, there seems to be quite a few lower cost TT kits coming out in the near future, IMO 35K for a TT kit is just insane, What are we talking about here other that the standard Viper tax? 2 manifolds, 2 wastegates, 2 turbos, intercooler, IC pipes, Exhaust downpipes, AEM, Fuel system.. thats about it. 35K for this?? In the Supra world you can buy a HKS Twin Turbo kit for under 8 grand, and that is on the high side. I built a single turbo kit, fuel, and intercooler system for my car making over 800 HP for under $5,000.00.. I think Paolo's kit will be one to watch, for now I'm sticking with my Roe Supercharger, its the best bang for the buck going.
I would call Paolo,I called him once and left a message, he called me back and emailed me immediatly, very nice guy.

Mentioning the term Viper tax in a thread about Jason Heffner displays a near complete lack of knowledge about what's been going on with respect to high-end Viper forced induction the last few years. Jason has an established track record of doing things just as well or better than the "big names" (although I guess he's a big name too now) for a lot less money. Most of the rest of your post compares apples to oranges, as there is a big difference between engineering a system for a $20-40k car that was sold in comparatively high numbers and comes from the factory with forced induction and engineering one for a limited production $80k car that wasn't made to conveniently house turbos and all their related parts. Not to mention the fact that I have no idea where you came up wtih your $35k figure.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REDGts. I totally dissagree with you brother. Heffner's reputation is impecable and if and when I get that point I'd love to have him do the work. BUT - there is a "Viper Tax" for all TT systems on the market currently. Don't kid yourself bro. $45k and up is what I have seen for "big name" TT kits and personally I think its nuts. Its a capitalist soceity and I have NO problem with that. These guys have all the work they can muster as it is so unless work slows down or a cheaper alternative comes along.....it is what it is!

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REDGts. I totally dissagree with you brother. Heffner's reputation is impecable and if and when I get that point I'd love to have him do the work. BUT - there is a "Viper Tax" for all TT systems on the market currently. Don't kid yourself bro. $45k and up is what I have seen for "big name" TT kits and personally I think its nuts. Its a capitalist soceity and I have NO problem with that. These guys have all the work they can muster as it is so unless work slows down or a cheaper alternative comes along.....it is what it is!
RSI offers a twin turbo kit for 19,900 installed...guaranteed 800 horsepower. How's that for value?

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mentioning the term Viper tax in a thread about Jason Heffner displays a near complete lack of knowledge about what's been going on with respect to high-end Viper forced induction the last few years. Jason has an established track record of doing things just as well or better than the "big names" (although I guess he's a big name too now) for a lot less money. Most of the rest of your post compares apples to oranges, as there is a big difference between engineering a system for a $20-40k car that was sold in comparatively high numbers and comes from the factory with forced induction and engineering one for a limited production $80k car that wasn't made to conveniently house turbos and all their related parts. Not to mention the fact that I have no idea where you came up wtih your $35k figure.

I agree, Heffner is the man out there right now, but I refuse to pay over 30K for a twin turbo kit, thats just insane. I used to own a performance shop / dynojet center so I do have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to this. I know what that parts run.. Ok so maybe making the manifolds can cost as much as $1200.00 each to produce, but thats really it. A good wastegate can be had for $500.00 (Tial) a good BOV $300 (Tial) Fuel system good for 1000RWHP will run me $1200.00 (I make my own rails, still sell them today) a turbo $1400.00 from Precision, Intercooler will run $1000, AEM $2400, custom exhaust downpipe / midpipe in stainless $1000.00, and intercooler pipes $600.00. I understand you have to multiply many of these items by two but I still come in under $12,000.00 and trust me this is the high side.

a few months ago I built a 710RWHP Supra with stock longblock including stock cams for under $5,000.00. I made my own intercooler pipes / 4" exhaust for my Supra for $350.00 with mandrel bends, bought a huge bar and plate aluminum tig welded intercooler from EBAY for $200 (nice size, I beleive its the same one Paolo is using but I'm not 100% on that... looks like his though) Tial BOV Clone $100! Stainless steel header tig welded $200.00, and a HKS clone wastegate for $175.00! When I made my intercooler pipes / exhuast I just paid $300.00 to top line exhaust for mandrel bends and borrowed a friends mig welder and chop saw, it was done in a days work. There really isn't a whole lot to a turbo kit, I think 15-20K is a reasonable price to include everything mentioned. As for low production, Toyota only sold

Here is a pic of one of my customer cars

You must be registered for see images

BTW from 1993.5 - 1998 there were only 6,977 Twin Turbo Supras sold in the US, hows that for low production.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know where you guys are coming up with your prices, but you can buy Heffner's regular system for a lot less than that. Now if you want an entire engine rebuild, a better tranny and driveline parts, safety equipment, etc., obviously it costs more. As far as cheaper yet effective alternatives, I guess that would be something like a DIY TT system for under $15k, which was first developed by. . . Jason Heffner (I don't know if he's selling them yet but I know he took a car with one to the dragstrip not too long ago). My point is not to cheerlead for Jason; there are several very competent tuners out there. My point is that Jason has always been known as much for value as quality.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pic of one of my customer cars

Nice looking engine but who is that old fart in the driver's seat? :D

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha.. yea man.. you can see that car on the new "Meet the Hogans" show on VH1. I think under 20K with AEM, Intercooler, Fuel, and of course twin turbos would be a fair price for everyone involved, but there may be other costs I'm not seeing as I don't have much expieriance working on Vipers other than installing headers a few other items that I did recently on my GTS. My plan is to have fun with the Roe blower at 800RWHP with N20 and wait for all of these TT kits to play out, then pick one.