Helmet Recommendation?

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use full face. I know there is debate about the issue but I'd rather have the protection than not. My face is too pretty to get scarred.:D

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the local dirt track most of the racers are wearing a full face helmet.

The biggest advantage I would think would be less trauma to your face and jaw. The sinuses will fracture and when they do it does tend to dissipate the forces a little, but I'd rather the helmet does it instead.

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a debate here...but, a full face WITH a Hans device appeals to me.

Many of the racing orgs are beginning to mandate hans devices now. NASA just started enforcing it as well for this year.

I was thinking about getting a G-Force helmet, but I am really liking the Simpson Bandit. Which isn't bad for under $400.

Simpson Bandit Helmet - SafeRacer

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, even if you get an open face helmet, in most cases you are required to wear shatter proof eye protection. For that reason, you might as well get the full face.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Simpson Bandit but I liked my old Bell M4 much better due to the extra large visor opening which gave me a great view. Although I'm not a pro I agree that having a Hans device is a must.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both a Bell and Arai. The Arai seems much better crafted and is lighter and smaller outside. The visor hardware on the Arai is also much better. I went to a HANS last year and, while its side-to-side range limitations took some getting used to, I no longer feel comfortable on the track without it. A less expensive SA2005 helmet with a HANS is much safer than a more expensive helmet without one. Start with the HANS and then budget your SA2005 helmet accordingly. Comments about larger visor openings are important especially if you wear glasses which have to go on after your helmet. A disadvantage of the full face is that they get much hotter, especially in a Viper - but you can always push it up. Finally, don't buy on-line. You have to try on a few different sizes/models. Each brand and model fit different shape heads and fit is very important - much more than any potential cost savings or the PIA if you have to return ship a few to get one that's right.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
REMEMBER: A 5-6 point harness system..."induces strong rebounds on the head, owing to the fact that the shoulder straps stop the forward motion of the torso too fast"...as reported from a biomechanical lab study in Sweeden by Ottoson et al in the '80's.

As Panin et al published in Aviation Space Envir. Medicine in 2001..."Futhermore, the frequent necessity of supporting added mass above the shoulders(e.g., crash helmet...) can magnify the moment of inertia of the head"..."the population is at risk for injury due to such forces". Noting that "various methods of fixation of the head to prevent cervical injury are described in the literature."...hence my HANS recommendation !!

Steve Olvey published on this subject in "Neurosurgery" a couple of years back. Many here in Indy may recall that Steve graduated from the IU Med School in 1969, went to Methodist hospital and co-founded the Lifeline System and "matured" the whole area of trauma management for the Speedway...and later CART. One of Steve's recent concerns is gathering GOOD data on helmeted sports injuries to better understand (and thus prevent and/or minimize) not only the acute massive injuries, but also the long term effects of the lesser injuries such as repetitive concussions.

With these things in mind, I HOPE more will look carefully at the equipment that they choose...and be willing to make the necessary investment in their own future.

Have fun...BUT, be SAFE !!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang