Helmets & Viper Days

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find a SA rated helmet that I can use for Viper DAys this weekend in Buttonwillow. All the motorcycle shops only carry MA rated helmets. There is no auto racing shop in Bakersfield. Will the helmet show a SA "tag" or insignia in/on the helmet? How do you know if the helmet is Viper Days legal or not? Does any one, who's coming to Buttonwillow, have a helmet I can borrow for Sat only? I'm getting a little worried. My car is all prepped and ready for the track, but my melon is not!
-Jonathan

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem!!!
They will be selling helmets at the track or you can buy a MA rated helmet and then buy a bellacalava at the track. The only difference is fire proofing. (NOMEX). The bellacalava is inexpensive.
Borrowing a smelly, sweaty helmet is not the best answer.

Look forward to seeing you at the track!!!
Skip

Skip at Viper Days

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about that. What I meant was that Viper Days will accept a MA if someone will wear a belacalava. We also feel that no matter what you spend just remember you are protecting your HEAD!!! What is it worth?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Bought mine at helmetcity.com, from a guy named Kyle. Painless and had it within 4 days of order. $290ish for a SA2000 Bell. M version about $100 less, but obviously the wrong choice for our needs.</FONT f>

OP
OP
R

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for your responses. I think, as time is running very short, I'm going to purchase a MA helmet and wear the Nomex hood. I know it will be quite toasty, but hey if my racing experience doesn't go well I could always use the mask to rob a bank. (just joking) See every one at Buttonwillow. I can't wait, I've been putting extra coats of wax on the car so it will slice through the air faster! God, I hope I don't drive like a p*SSY. Any helpful tips from you more experienced racers will be greatly appreciated. I want to soak up as much racing experience and atmosphere as possible.
-Jonathan

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrote Snell Memorial regarding helmet weight specs not being part of the certification process.

Many neck injuries occur because of helmet weight.

There is an obsessive concern with helmet strength but little concern over helmet weight. Just try to get helmet weights from a retailer. You might as well ask for the atomic weight of Einsteinium.

It's all about strength to weight ratio or "specific strength" if you prefer.

Naturally, they refused to respond to my letter. Any admission by them that helmet weight is a danger would undermine their agenda.

Even though there is new awareness due to Dale's demise, the Hans is ever popular. Still, there is no spotlight on actual helmet weight. Perhaps the conclusion is that all helmets are too heavy.

Helmet requirements should be determined by the maximum speed of the event and whether it is wheel to wheel or not.

Requiring an SA helmet for autoX actually increases one's chances of a neck injury. A lighter, weaker helmet would provide more statistical safety.

Tom

Reaction score
helmetcity is a great supplier of racing supplies. And they will ship overnight if necessary.

I buy the best safety equipment possible and yes weight is very important. A high quality light, helmet will likely be $500+++.

I suggest a full face helmet, Why? Safety(chin protection-helps reduce breaking the neck; protect eyes when going in the kitty litter ) and Flexibility (required when driving open wheel cars-used by many racing schools).