Help! Cracked my power steering pulley!

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! After a day of spirited driving, I noticed the power steering pump was not working properly at idle. Sort of felt like the belt was slipping. About 2 miles from my house, I saw the battery warning light come on - then the temperature gauge started climbing. By the time I got home, the temp was right at 250. Opened the hood to find the power steering pump pulley cracked, pulled itself off the pump. No, I don't have a Roe blower or anything special. I'm glad it happened close to home!

Has this happened to anyone else?

I remember someone made a billet pulley for the power steering pump - but couldn't find it again. Does anyone remember or have a contact for these?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
try this:

Power Steering

By the way, Ron...you didn't let the Lambo's beat up on you Saturday did Ya ??!!!

On a serious note, SammyV just put the above upgrade on his PS system a couple of months ago...you can ask him about it at this coming Saturday's meeting.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my pulley shatter a few years ago, left me high and dry and waiting for the flat bed.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any collateral damage?
No, just the belt of course but it didn't take out anything else on it's way out.
I was going about 60 when it happened. Happened in my 2nd week of ownership...bad omen.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isnt it the bracket that usually breaks? Is it worth the extra $110 to replace the bracket AND pulley? I plan on doing it eitherway, just want to know if replacing the pulley is needed as well.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isnt it the bracket that usually breaks? Is it worth the extra $110 to replace the bracket AND pulley? I plan on doing it eitherway, just want to know if replacing the pulley is needed as well.
I had the bracket break in multiple places. What a piece of crap that was. I think the part if you could believe it was lighter than air!

OP
OP
G

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Got both the bracket and pulley from Dave's Big Brakes.

And Steve - No - You don't think I'd let a Lambo get by with that, do you?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it Ron...and, aside from your Snake having the best paint job that I have seen...that stroker gets the job done !!!!

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the feeling. I had Dave's bracket and pulley on my 'to do' list, but it moved up on the priority list once I was stranded for 3 hours along the highway.
Flatbed2.jpg

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the feeling. I had Dave's bracket and pulley on my 'to do' list, but it moved up on the priority list once I was stranded for 3 hours along the highway.
Flatbed2.jpg

What a photo. That should be a cover page on every Viper maintenance publication. Insert your color here...

I think I'll print it and put it next to my to do list!

You must be registered for see images

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flatbed2.jpg

First picture I've seen of your car with the wheels. Looks good!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960