help. end link nut stuck and cant remove.

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a problem with the driver side front stabilization bar end link.

while removing the nut, it got stuck at the bottom and would not come off. it just spins with the ball joint.

does anyone have a solution other than cutting it off?

You must be registered for see images

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You could try to reseat the taper on the ball joint by using a pickle fork or large screwdriver depending how much room you have.

Frank

Y

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wouldn't that ruin the boot if start using a fork on it?
Not on the boot side, above the nut putting downward pressure on the taper on the ball joint to reseat it or keep it from turning as you turn the nut off. If that doesn't work you may have to cut the nut off.

Frank

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I followed the manual. Lossen nut but don't remove . Use a hammer an punch and lossen link. Link is loose but when I went to take it off. It is now stuck

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to try using a nut ******* and clean up the threads once its off. Hopefully the new nut can go on smoothly.

Threads got messed up when using a hammer and punch to get the joint free. Used a ball joint remover for the rest and it went smoothly

If new nuts mess up then ill cut it and buy a pair of new ones on eBay for $55. They are like $200 oem in case anyone needs a new end link.

Expensive lessoned learned

When replacing end links. Do I have to drop the lower control arm? Asking since the end link looks too long to pull out from the bottom

Reaction score
To replace the links just undo both and the bar will rotate out of the way, no need to do anything with the control arms.

Going to try using a nut ******* and clean up the threads once its off. Hopefully the new nut can go on smoothly.

Threads got messed up when using a hammer and punch to get the joint free. Used a ball joint remover for the rest and it went smoothly

If new nuts mess up then ill cut it and buy a pair of new ones on eBay for $55. They are like $200 oem in case anyone needs a new end link.

Expensive lessoned learned

When replacing end links. Do I have to drop the lower control arm? Asking since the end link looks too long to pull out from the bottom

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ebay links are a little beefier than stock as well, threads are a little to long for my liking but can be cut down, also not to sure of the nylock nuts on the end, so changed to stovers, hammering the end is great if ur car if 5 feet in the air, but for backyard minions like me was a little tougher, was replacing links anyway so just smoked the side of the threads and voila, put some never seize on the taper for next time and changed the sway bushings to poly with zerk fittings( for 26 bucks a pair why not and the links were 55 a pair) and replaced the fronts hubs and dismantled/painted reassembled my 2 piece rotors as my Saturday project, the boot was hooped anyway so use channel lock or small pipe wrench after u peel the boot off, back links are also 55 on ebay , had to loosen one link then the other side to get enuf room to pull up the sway bar, if nut is seized could air chisel or just sabersaw it off, not into any torch stuff near aluminum

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950