HELP!!! Gen 2 valve covers

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just heard from my powdercoating guy. I took my valve covers off my 2001 GTS to get them powdercoated yellow. He did not know they were magnesium and dipped them and disolved them. Dodge only makes one side. Does anyone have or know where I can get a set of Gen 2 covers???:omg:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just heard from my powdercoating guy. I took my valve covers off my 2001 GTS to get them powdercoated yellow. He did not know they were magnesium and dipped them and disolved them. Dodge only makes one side. Does anyone have or know where I can get a set of Gen 2 covers???:omg:

"HALF OF ALL ADVERTISING..............."

Thanks J+R.....

For your re-coloring needs, our scratch-n-scuff pile should work just fine.

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you 99 RT 10. You saved the day for me. I really appreciate your having and sending a set on such short notice.:2tu:Now I will just wait until they get here.:eater:I left the powdercoating to the last minute while the motor was being redone and this is what I get.:nono:

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those guys can help you get some new ones. My vote since the powder coater is responsible, upgrade to Gen III's and get the spacers.

:usa:

98RT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you know what the powder coater dipped your covers in? i worked for the largest Powder Coating Manufactory for 30 years as a field tech (+) and i have never heard of any coater dissolving magnesium UNLESS they put it thru a burn-off oven or in a Kolene tank and if they did that they sure dont know much about cleaning parts. just curious

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those guys can help you get some new ones. My vote since the powder coater is responsible, upgrade to Gen III's and get the spacers.

I was not aware the Gen III would work or I would have done that. :headbang:I was lucky though, and 99 R/T 10 had a set and was willing to get them on UPS overnite for me(thanks again Mike). They are already done in black so I might just leave them black since my Roe is black and the car is yellow with Gen I sills, black centre HRE's, and black diffuser.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dave, ive said WAAAAAAAY dumber things....lol

and probably have since i said that actually

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just came back from the powdercoating place. The valve covers are not totally disolved, but they are very pitted and have holes eaten right through them. They said if they had left them much longer they would have had trouble finding them.:omg: The chemical they used is called Strip Brite 227 Industrial Paint Remover. They said in all the years they have been stipping paint this is a FIRST and they have the best reputation around here. Metalstrip Coatings Inc. for those of you living close and wondering who it is.
They are picking up the costs for getting the new ones here. UPS said they would have them here today.:lmao::lmao::lmao:

RobZilla;
You said spacers are available for Gen III covers. Do you, or anyone else reading this know if you can get them for Gen II covers and where?:dunno:

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The spacers are needed for Gen 3 covers on a Gen 2 engine. ebay has them for $300 in billet form. Seller is House of Billet.

The roller rockers I have now hit the baffles on the Gen II covers I have coming. I thought if I could add the spacers it would save me from removing the baffles.
Thanx for the input, I will check it out.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the base shape on the Gen II valve covers match the spaces, then certainly you should be able to use the. Just like davie said, house of billet on eBay.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sorry, thats an amateur mistake, i wouldnt let them touch my second set of valve covers....

if you want them done right, let me know

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard of slitting and dimpling the stock Gen 2 baffles. I think Viper Tony may have done that.

Hmmmm.....I would for sure need some help with tha one.:dunno: Where do you slit them and how big of a hammer to make the right size dimple?:rolaugh:Are you out there Viper Tony?

Robzilla;
I checked e bay and did not get them to come up so I went to House of Billet and they want $550.00 US($671.00 CDN today) so I will make the set I have coming do. I just have to be sure I have the right size hammer.:headbang:
Thanks for the input.
Ron

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....I would for sure need some help with tha one.:dunno: Where do you slit them and how big of a hammer to make the right size dimple?:rolaugh:Are you out there Viper Tony?

Robzilla;
I checked e bay and did not get them to come up so I went to House of Billet and they want $550.00 US($671.00 CDN today) so I will make the set I have coming do. I just have to be sure I have the right size hammer.:headbang:
Thanks for the input.
Ron

I would tell House of Billet to ........ themselves. :eater:

eBay Motors: Dodge Viper Valve Cover Spacer (item 110382952528 end time May-04-09 16:47:34 PDT)

Davezilla.

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To provide clearence for the extra lenght on the roller rockers:

I did it on my 99 GTS sometime ago, by removing all the screws out from the rocker cover to free the oil baffle...then removed the baffle out.
Using a cutter I shaved enough material, so the heads were the baffles sits on are now lowered to accommodate the extra height of the rockers. then put baffles back on and sealed around, hence you got your clearance.

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did it on my 99 GTS sometime ago, by removing all the screws out from the rocker cover to free the oil baffle...then removed the baffle out.
Using a cutter I shaved enough material, so the heads were the baffles sits on are now lowered to accommodate the extra height of the rockers. then put baffles back on and sealed around, hence you got your clearance.

Man, am I ever glad I am a member of this club. I never would have thought of something so easy. Thanks HSSSTOY.:2tu: I suppose it would only take about 1/8 inch to do it. Sure will save $4-500.00. I have a cousin in town who has a machine shop and it will probably take him no time at all.:D

OP
OP
H

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy the beer when you guys come our way, eh!

We normally come down there this time of year to visit family but we moved our daughter and two granddaughters out here in January so this spring we will be staying here. The wife has most of her family in Belleville and a daughter in Toronto. Our plan at this time is to come down around mid September for "Viper Invades Niagara Falls".:headbang: Can you wait that long for the beer?:dunno:

Oh, oh:omg: the wife just informed me that we have a wedding to go to in Belleville in September(doesn't have a date set yet). It had better not be 17-20 or we will be a little late as VCA trumps wifes neice......or not.:lmao::lmao:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just a quick note on this....from a good friend

Tell him to have his guys use aircraft stripper. It will take a little longer, but will gather the results needed for the magnesium. I’ll go out on a limb here and say the guy didn’t know it was magnesium. It’s handled/coated/cured in a totally different way than anything else, I assure you.

Tell the coater to pre-bake the parts at 380F for 30 minutes to let the metal outgas THEN they can powdercoat them.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I suppose it would only take about 1/8 inch to do it. Sure will save $4-500.00. I have a cousin in town who has a machine shop and it will probably take him no time at all.:D

I'm sure that you have thought of this; but, I'll say it anyway. I'd recommend that you modify them before you get them powder coated. You would hate to scratch up your newly coated covers while trying to hold them to modify them. Also, cutting those bosses down will generate some heat; although, probably not enough to affect the coating (unless you have bad luck.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4