Help me out with "ACR"

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help me out with \"ACR\"

Hi all,
Can someone give me the brief run-down on the ACR, and how it differs from a standard GTS? I see lots of them for sale, so I'm trying to learn if it's something I should consider. Thanks.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Help me out with \"ACR\"

American Club Racer (ACR) Model introduced - spring 1999 introduction
Homologated for club racing
Smooth intake tubes and K&N air filters (Rated at 460 HP)
Special ACR Badging and decals
Black interior only
Racing harnesses with ACR Logo
18" BBS Wheels
Koni Adjustable Shocks
Different Springs
Delete Fog lights, Radio (and antenna booster) and A/C

Optional comfort group option
Add Radio (and antenna booster) and A/C

most were produced with the comfort option

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Help me out with

When I was considering the same thing I went and searched this site from the beginning of post #1 back to the present. You do your homework and don't take the lazy way out. I found out tons of information about the car and the ppl here on this forum (through their posts).

In fact, it was this background that helped me land the ACR that I enjoy to this day. By having done my homework, I actually was pointing out things to the original owner that had been said by him years ago. His ACR was not even up for sale, but it was exactly what I was looking for, and I was able to land it because I did my homework, was tenacious, and had the right attitude.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Neil, gave you everything you need to know. Personally, I did not even consider an ACR because I like the fog lights and violently dislike the wheels. Other than that, it is not much different versus a normal GTS.

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Neil, gave you everything you need to know. Personally, I did not even consider an ACR because I like the fog lights and violently dislike the wheels. Other than that, it is not much different versus a normal GTS.

BLASPHEMY!!! :nono:

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Neil/BlueGTS.

D.K., I can appreciate the "Search ****" reply. I'm not lazy, I just figured it would take someone like Neil less time to regurgitate from memory the answer to my question than it would me to go digging through 4 or 5 pages of searched threads looking for a coherent answer. You won't find me asking questions like "I have $500 to spend, what mod should I buy?", or "Which is faster, the Viper or the C6". I pick my questions wisely, and I am doing my homework.

Thanks again.

D.K.

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks Neil/BlueGTS.

D.K., I can appreciate the "Search ****" reply. I'm not lazy, I just figured it would take someone like Neil less time to regurgitate from memory the answer to my question than it would me to go digging through 4 or 5 pages of searched threads looking for a coherent answer. You won't find me asking questions like "I have $500 to spend, what mod should I buy?", or "Which is faster, the Viper or the C6". I pick my questions wisely, and I am doing my homework.

Thanks again.

While I certainly appreciate your candor, it has nothing to do with being a search engine ****, as you put it. It has everything to do with educating yourself about the ACR version of the GTS and about Viper ownership itself.

It doesn't all have to be done in a day. I spent several months doing this. A few free moments at a time. I took the time to educate myself about the car & bring myself up to speed and I was probably more familiar w/ Viper than most on this board. I was the District Manager of Los Angeles with Chrysler Corporation during the time we launched Viper. I got to drive the very 1st Vipers released as Los Angeles was the biggest market at that time and I received the most allocation in the U.S. if I remember correctly.

I remember spending an inordinate amount of time telling my dealers not to A$$ **** the first customers out of the box and not to tack on ridiculous addendum's. Which I was only mildly successful in doing. :( Oh well!

Take care......

Mike

:usa:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did my homework also before buying my ACR last year. However, I missed some info in my search through the archives. I bought the ACR because I liked the wheels, and the supposedly engineered upgraded suspension, and I liked having something just a little more unique. I found out that the pre-2001 ACR's have the Koni shocks which have complaints about rattling noises, and the 2001 and 2002 have the Dynamics Suspensions shocks which are prone to leaking. But then again, I heard that the Konis will also leak. However, both can be rebuilt. Additionally, it is highly recommended to replace the rear springs on the 2001-2002 set up with a softer spring rate. Just keep those things in mind when deciding on what price to pay.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim, you are not ashamed of your ugly wheels? For shame! You have a nice looking car there. You know what you have. It is a keeper.

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My 99 ACR Koni shocks do rattle a little. Also the spring rate on the rear of the 99/2000 is lower then the 2001/2002 making it less bouncy. I love the way the Koni ACR shocks handle the bumps. I installed standard shocks/springs on my car when I had my koni shocks rebuilt. The ACR koni shocks/springs handle the bumps much smother and with less bounce. My koni shocks never leaked. I had them rebuilt because the adjusters on one shock locked-up. If you have the Koni ACR shocks I would recomend cleanning out and moving the adjusters once a year and also make sure the top assembly remains tight. I had one top assembly come apart leaving me sitting along side the road replacing the rear shocks. :(

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"Search ****"
LOL

:laugh: I'm a moderator on a 350Z forum, and that's a term that's been adopted for people who reply to every newbie question with "Run a Search!". It's not meant to be derogatory or anything, just a a descriptor. I'm clearly a newbie here, so I guess I'm due for a few of these. :)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you pay the premium asking price for an ACR, make sure it still has the ARC shocks installed. Some ACR's out there are being sold as ACRs, but have been stripped of the pricy shocks that unwary buyers did not look for. Pretty embarrasing when you proudly strut your new purchase only to be told by an informed observer that your pride and joy is missing some key components...FYI.

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking at the price variation between a regular '67 mustang fastback and one equiped with the Shelby option should give you a clue to what the next generation will do with Viper prices.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If your car is more for cruising and fun/looks, my opinion is that the GTS is a better package. If you are more ********, or are going to track the car and are real serious from that aspect, then the ACR is for you. 2cents

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looking at the price variation between a regular '67 mustang fastback and one equiped with the Shelby option should give you a clue to what the next generation will do with Viper prices.

You're comparing apples to oranges,the Shelby "option" as you call it, had a lot more in it,compared to a regular Mustang, than the ACR compared to the GTS.

The ACR has different shocks and spring,wheels, somooth tubes and K&N filter (+ 10hp/tq),5 pts harness and a few extra decals.

Shelby "option" had, depending of the years:

Bodywork, interior, unique manufacturing facility,Shelby specific VIN,brake, suspension( lowered upper control arms,traction bar,etc),engine,rear differential,safety equipment,extra bracing ( Monte Carlo bar),Paxton supercharger, etc

Luc 00GTS
1965 Shelby Mustang
1969 Mustang Mach1 Cobra Jet "R" code
.... and a few others

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The ACR is worth more money and will increase in value in about 10 years compaired to the stock GTS, just because it's a special version. People are suckers for that kind of stuff.

I mean look at the crazy prices the mustang, a car designed for secretaries, is getting when a racer stuffed racing stuff in it. How much would would a real racecar like the Viper be worth with real race equipment?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Help me out with \"ACR\"

Shocks changed to Dynamic Suspension models around March ( build ) of 2000, so Koni shocks had a short run. This was due to the rattling some folks complained about, and the downside was the new shock/spring set-up was much more difficult to tune. Classic example of customer complaints actually bringing about change, but not necessarily for the best. Many feel the 1999/early 2000 ACRs are the best models ever built.

bloose

Viper Owner
Reaction score

There are really 3 choices when looking for an ACR, so choose what is most important to you. I won't list all the different color combos for each year as you can find that elsewhere, but color MAY be important in your decision also so I've listed some that tend to be favored, but to each his own.

1999 - Forged internals, NO ABS, Koni Shocks (Black avail.)

2000 - Cast internals, NO ABS, Koni or Dynamic Shocks (Black avail.)

2001-02 - Cast internals, ABS!, Dynamic Shocks (Yellow 01-02, Sapphire Blue 01, Graphite 02, Red w/white stripes 02)