Help needed in gas cap disassembly

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the whole damn thing taken apart except for the pin on the base. It's the piece with the metal spring. It looks like I have to pop the end of the spring out that is in the pin. Any idea?

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to:

You must be registered for see images attach

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Very difficult to repair. sent mine to arrow to be fixed
You can hammer it out with a smaller pin

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From looking at it, it appears a dental pick or something similar should be able to hook into the spring and free it from the pin. Putting the end of the spring back into the pin will be the fun part. :D

I'll try to take some pics of everything all taken apart, if I remember to bring my camera. As shown above, my camera phone *****. :(

OP
OP
C

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to the Viper Wizard and he said the same thing that Viper 93 said. Hammer it out with a punch.

3 seconds after putting it in a vice, and it was out.

I'm guessing the whole assembly can be taken apart in less than a minute AFTER you do it the first time. :D

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about putting it back together? I took mine apart and now can't find the small pin, only have a big one:

IMG_1643.jpg

Anybody know where I can get a small pin?

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about putting it back together? I took mine apart and now can't find the small pin, only have a big one:

IMG_1643.jpg

Anybody know where I can get a small pin?

Say it ain't so Mike!! You need a part and you DON'T have it?

The world is coming to an end, I can feel it.

:omg:

Ron

ACR2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went through with this about 2 months ago. The way the cap is made the pastic pin that holds everything together on the latch is heat pressed/formed on either end. There should be a round end and a square end.
1. On the rounded end take a small razor blade and slice the end of plastic. This will allow the pin to slide through.
2. Take a phillips head screw driver and tap the round end pin through. This will allow you to take the latch off the base of the cap.
3. Reverse the same process to get it all back together.
4. Getting it all back together did not go that quick. If your taking it apart to get it chromed take your time putting it back together.
5. I reccommend using blue painters tape to cover everything to avoid scracthing it.

If you have any other questions or need some pictures let me know and I can send them.

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used polished stainless socket head bolts to reassemble mine.

You must be registered for see images