Help Needed Viper won't start

Mace66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently been having idle issues. I start it up cold and the revs stopped holding at 1200 rpm so I needed to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from revving to low and potentially stalling out. Once on the road it would idle at 1200 than once warm back to the normal 700 rpm and run good.

Woke up this morning and it turned a few cylinders over and died. Took battery into autozone and they verified it was good. Any ideas? My though is alternator but this doesn't have anything to do with idle issue.

Thanks you all.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
In order to help, folks may want to know year of your Viper, mileage, modifications, etc.

Also, please define "turned a few cylinders and died". Are we to assume that the starter works but engine won't fire...or, does it fire a few times then stop? Or, is starter also non functioning?

Any codes or engine lights...now or recently?

OP
OP
M

Mace66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2005 viper 17,000 miles added M&M headers no cats at 16,000 miles. No engine codes no issues ever. Nothing turns over at all, completely dead.

Thanks for posting

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Mace66, while there is a chance that the above "trick" may work, I suspect a more problematic root cause. One can speculate in the dark forever on said issues...but, your circumstance reminds me of a couple of similar Viper malfunctions which were related heat damage caused by header installations without extra protection to the O2 sensor wires. Certainly, this can cause the ASD system to come into play...Auto Shut Down. Crank sensor issue will also trip this system.

Hopefully, some of the more experienced folks may jump in here...but, in the meantime, feel free to call me. ...-...-....

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mace66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, your amazing it worked swapping out the fuses. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Any idea what caused this? Should I bring it into the shop to review the idle issue?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great to hear that...my wild occasionally works !!
yes, I would look at it in a Dodge ship...at least, put a DRB III on it to check it out. Good luck.. and please let us know what you find. I wondered about your upstream O2 sensors and the closed loop operation based on your observations.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do I remember that a wire going to the O2 sensors, shorting out due to laying against hot headers will cause this? I thought that I have read about folks with aftermarket headers occasionally resulting in O2 wire routing problems. This is an old guy's memory though. Seems that Steve is closer to troubleshooting such things. Hopefully one of the "Dan's" or another expert will chime in. But, closing in on a holiday week.......

OP
OP
M

Mace66

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Quick update with a request for additional ideas on the issue.

Viper has been in the shop for 2.5 weeks and the techs (who are good but don't work on many vipers) are still in trouble shooting mode. Car is still having idle issues and the O2 sensors are reading and acting normal. Cats are back on and both O2 sensors are before the cats but again reading correctly and adjusting. No engine light. At this point I'm leaning towards mechanical and injectors leaking extra gas in and on start up it's flooded.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang