Help on cluth pedal being soft.

ruf575

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was bleeding my clutch fluid '94 Viper (15 year old fluid). I accidentally let the fluid reservoir run empty :(. I even talked to Chuck before doing this, and did exactly what he said to do. I still got this wrong :crazy2:. He told me that I would be chasing my tail if I did get it wrong "he is/was right"! I have pumped or my buddy has pumped quite a bit on the pedal 25-30 pumps per bleed. I still have a clutch that is soft and/or bleeds down after a few minutes not completely but it is noticeably softer than just pumping just once or twice. And now there is some squeaking from the inside the transmission and right where that small black (plastic) slave cylinder (i know the slave is inside the trans)looking thing it's right under the brake master cylinder/booster coming out of the firewall. I don't know what to do know? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

R

RTED

Not sure if this will help, but this is the procedure I use on my 95.

CLUTCH FLUID CHANGE PROCEDURE (2 person)
-Use 7/16 open end wrench on clutch bleeder. Bleeder is just above the clutch fluid line on the transmission (orange cover).
-Attach hose to the bleeder and run into catch can or bottle.
-Have someone pump the clutch a few times and then hold the pedal to the floor.
-Open bleeder with one quick turn and shut quickly
-Pump pedal to floor and hold
-Open bleeder with one quick turn and shut quickly
-REPEAT PROCESS until fluid is clear
- Keep fluid reservoir near full, don't let it run dry

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me. I tried all the remedies without any luck. Three months ago I started the process of replacing the slave cylinder.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would either pressure or vacuum bleed the system and then determine if it is still spongy. Unfortunately, both those methods require some specialized tools. If it still fails, replace the slave and/or master cylinder.