HELP! Our ignition key WONT turn. Its "frozen"

Brewer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we have had this happen a couple times where we put the key in the ignition and when we try and turn it, it wont turn. We used to be able to turn the steering wheel some and wiggle the key a lot and it would eventually allow us to turn it and start the car. We have 2 keys and both have this issue. Tonight it has reached the worst its ever been. I have tried for over an hour turning the key and its just friggen jammed, i have a blister on my thumb trying to get it to turn. Weve tried rocking the car while turning the ignition key, weve tried turning the steering wheel back and forth over and over and the key just wont turn! We spoke to John gastman from Roanoke dodge, asking if this is covered under warranty, he told us that "it" does not break!? Whats "it" and if we cant turn our key in the ignition, and CANT start our car, SOMETHING needs repair! Now our steering wheel is totally locked as well. (we turned it too far so it is also 'locked' you can turn it an inch or two each direction. I have searched these forums and no one else seems to have this problem.
The car is a 2003 srt convertible with 32k miles on it.

Help Help Help,

Scott

Reaction score
You are correct I have not seen this problem in a Viper before but the has to have been a similar issue in some car somewhere. PM me with contact info and in the morning I will try to find out what we can do. My thought is the wheel locking mechanism is the problem and has finally failed altogether. BUT that is just my guess and yes it can be "fixed" lol...

No worries we will get it fixed, just not right now. :) I gotta go to sleep sometime you know!

Keller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you parked on an incline with the wheel turned? If so, put in neutral, let roll, and try to turn wheel. I have seen these mechanisms get into a bind under certain conditions.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**** the sterring wheel hard to the left a few times and turn the igittion key at the same time. My 2007 Jeep SRT8 I had, would always do the same thing. Must be a Dodge thing.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The exact same thing happened in my Ford Focus 2 weeks ago. Did a Google search on "Ford Focus" "key won't turn" and came back with about a million hits. Very common problem for the Ford Focus. The short-term work-around as I learned on the Internet was to lightly tap on the end of the key with a hammer basically "hammering it inward". Sure enough, it got me started. Locksmith came out the next day and fixed it for $280. He was so familier with the issue, he actually gave me a price over the phone.

If you don't want to drag your car onto a roll-back with the wheels locked, have a locksmith come out to your house and he'll fix it on the spot. Perhaps you can then bill it back to Dodge.