Help overspray on my car

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have overspray on the front of my car and one headlight lense. How did it get there? I had my lower front facia painted at a bodyshop. I thought they would remove the lower piece and paint it, but they painted while on the car. Of course they said to bring it back and they would take care of it, but let's just say if I can get this off myself I would rather not put my car back in their care. Clay bar did not work. Any suggestions, solvents, home remedies?

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the over spray is on the lens cover only, just take a little thinner and wipe very lightly. If the over spray has not been on there to long it should come right off. This will no damage the lens cover. Hope this helps-----Chad

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think thinner is such a good idea. Use imperial micro finish on a foam pad and a slow speed buffer, You don't need a lot of compound, just the size of a quarter and do a 1' x 1' area. Then just used a good wax or swirl remover to finish.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MULE:
I have overspray on the front of my car and one headlight lense. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put a pretty good deep scratch in my 2001 gts and had is repaired and quater panel repainted. they got overspray all over the hood, when they tried to remove it, they damaged the clear coat and was never smooth and glass like again.

Take if back to them, tell them your concerns and request that you be present while the overspray is being removed. Might want to ask around at other body shops on proper removal. If they were not careful enough to prevent it in the first place, they will probably mess it up. Been there, done that, be carefull.

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to your local hardware store and get a can of OOPS. I have a body shop at our dealership. I have seen them use it on a car that was vandalized with orange spaypaint. It took it right off and doesn't hurt the clearcoat.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that headlamps are plastic and will scratch very easily. I replaced one of mine on a previous car, and used the "bad" one for testing bow to remove a scratch. Once you get a bit too deep...it leaves a bruise, like if you cut through the clearcoat on your paint. Be careful with the headlamp.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call up Sal Zaino 732 833 8800 get your self a clay bar and some z7 fix it right up. He is a painter by trade and is a legend in Brooklyn. He will get you all fixed up easy.

Thanks

Mike Adams

OP
OP
M

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advise. So far VIPER1994 is the winner. I will try the OOPS and hopefully this will be over. Sorry Tiepilot, I have already tried a clay bar and it did not work. The clay bar was recommended to me by a contact I have at a paint shop.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, opps may work, it is very gentle, but you still will need to polish after appling (esp if you have a dark color car) Imperial miro finish is made by 3M and is available at most auto body supply stores. If they don't carry 3M you can try Meguires cutting cream or Strata ultra cutting compound. I did my headlights too and it cleaned them right up. If you don't use a swirl or had glaze after you may still see swirl marks or a hazy finish.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire