HELP Stuck inTenn/ Nc Tire Problem!

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took a nail in passenger rear runflat. Can it be plugged from outside? Or inside only?
I'm in the mountains on 28 sp kind of stuck where to go.

I'm a few hours from Ringgold, going to call them Monday to see if they have any tires or if they can fix it to get me home 12 hours at least. Not sure what to do. First run flat tire I've ever had.

If anyone knows anyone on this side of tenn that might be able to get me some info could you PM them. Thanks a bunch.

(Ps was told there was a bunch of Vipers going though the Park Sat, I was on the Skyway)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a runflat so you should be able to drive 50 LOW SPEED miles on it to get to somewhere that can deal with it. And to get wherever you need to go I would not be afraid to also put a plug in it from the outside as a TEMPORARY LOW SPEED fix, just to get to wherever you need to go to get a new tire or have a patch properly put on the inside. Why don't you try calling the Tenn. Regional President for advice as to a place to get a tire or fix it properly. His phone and email are on the front page here under regions.

Reaction score
If a Z rated and above tire is repaired it should be considered non speed rated. There is always a chance that any damage to the belt structure from the puncture and or the repair could cause a catastrophic failure at high speeds. That said if you don't track the car or entertain high speeds you will probably never have an issue. BUT once you drive on a run flat or a very low tire at all replacement is a must as the sidewall will be compromised and the tire is junk. Always error on the side of safety.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, just need to find a place that can get the damn thing off the rim so i can get a inter patch done. Need to find a local dodge dealer i guess. or just head to ringgold in a borrowed truck

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got a flat on one of my runcraps. Didn't notice it till I was at home. I'd drive to the nearest station and see if it'll hold any air. You could buy some of that Green Slime or other flat repair crap instal in tire and air up. Get it fixed tomorrow.

Tow truck is kind of expensive.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steal a tire of the right height from a Dakota pu? Naw, just kidding.

TEd

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a member drive from Dover Delaware to New Hope Pa last year on a run flat because there were no places open to repair it. The tire is toast anyway, I would drive it at slower speeds until you get to where you can get it replaced.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I took it to ringgold. I borrowed a truck form a nice guy & drove 3 hours in the wrong direction. But peace of mind that it would be fixed to get me home 10 hours was worth it.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I'm late to the punch, but I agree with the tire plugs. You would've been fine. But, as Mark said, you lose speed rating and risk failure when not repaired properly if doing high speed driving. Daily driving, you probably would never have an issue with the plug. I carry my plug kit with me to every event (replaces my spare :D....yeah, I know it's there for other reasons), but I need the trunk space. Glad you're fixed up.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got screwed they dismounted it plugged it and cant get it to rebead. So new tire now. 2 hours later there still working on it 2 hours later what i get for trying to do right thing

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got screwed they dismounted it plugged it and cant get it to rebead. So new tire now. 2 hours later there still working on it 2 hours later what i get for trying to do right thing

Shouldn't have to dismount to "plug". They must be putting a patch (proper repair to maintain speed rating).
Wonder why it won't rebead? You mean the tire bead won't "pop" in the bead seat area? Use a little more bead lube.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes the tire will indeed not properly rebead despite adequate use of lube, but that should normally fix itself with a little pushing & shoving against the tire. Either that or take the entire wheel off of the machine and bounce it a few times on the ground.
There is a way to pop it on the rim with a loud bang by using some kind of gas but can't say how they do that exactly.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn't have to dismount to "plug". They must be putting a patch (proper repair to maintain speed rating).
Wonder why it won't rebead? You mean the tire bead won't "pop" in the bead seat area? Use a little more bead lube.

I don't recall ever hearing that even a patch will restore a speed rating.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't recall ever hearing that even a patch will restore a speed rating.

A punctured speed rated tire brings with it additional considerations. While some tire manufacturers "allow" a tire to retain its speed rating if a specified multi-step repair procedure is followed exactly, most tire manufacturers reason that since they have no control over the damage caused by the puncture or the quality of the repair, they cannot confirm that the tire has retained its high speed capability. Therefore, their policy is that a punctured and repaired tire no longer retains its speed rating and should be treated as a non-speed rated tire.-Tire Rack tech section

I'm "kinda" right, and "kinda" wrong. It depends on the manufacturer and the repairer.

i.e. Keep it under 168mph.:D

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is a way to pop it on the rim with a loud bang by using some kind of gas but can't say how they do that exactly.

Had that happen to me on my Dodge Ram when one of the brand new tires just wouldn't take. Tech explained to me that larger tires/rims cause problems on smaller machines (pushing the limit of what that machine is designed for). They then pulled out a large canister of highly-compressed air and shot it all at it at once. Canister was about the size of a 5gal bucket, and was 125psi according to him. One loud bang and it snapped right on!

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sorry I meant Patch not plug. They basically trashed the tire, it was all chewed up. They did get the patch in it but the inter bead was all distroyed in one spot and there was a big grind mark taken out of the outer bead. They also trashed my rim, there are 3 huge gashes in my rim. Rim was perfect before I got there. Tried to do the right thing go to a dealer that would know how to change a Viper tire and I walked out of there getting "lubed". New Tire price was super high, thought maybe since I bought my car there & was over 10 hours away from home they might help me out alittle but nope. 3 hours to get there, 3 hours there, and 3 hours back to my car, $600 for tire and $100 in gas borrowing someone elses truck, and a trashed rim later I was back on the road. So all in all a great day:mad:

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Guessing he got home without any more incidents.

Yea for the most part, Having a Jeep in front of you lose it rear bumper at 90mph, does create a huge pucker factor, lucky the next lane was open. Then a 1/2 mile later a semi tire blew up, so rubber bounceing off my hood and hoping that I didn't catch more steel in my tires. All in all, not a very fun trip, only got to drive my car there and back didn't get to spend any time on the great roads down there. Oh well, made it home alive

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea for the most part, Having a Jeep in front of you lose it rear bumper at 90mph, does create a huge pucker factor, lucky the next lane was open. Then a 1/2 mile later a semi tire blew up, so rubber bounceing off my hood and hoping that I didn't catch more steel in my tires. All in all, not a very fun trip, only got to drive my car there and back didn't get to spend any time on the great roads down there. Oh well, made it home alive

Are they going to replace your wheel? It can probably be fixed.
As far as not getting to drive the mtn roads, come on back down June 4-6 for our Mtn cruise weekend. Last year we had about 45 Vipers participate.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are they going to replace your wheel? It can probably be fixed.
As far as not getting to drive the mtn roads, come on back down June 4-6 for our Mtn cruise weekend. Last year we had about 45 Vipers participate.

They didn't even bother saying anything about the 3 huge gouge marks. Guess they figured they ***** me on the tire price that I needed to be ***** alittle more. Since they trashed the bead thought alittle discount could be reached. I'm still bitter about the whole thing 2 weeks later. I normally avoid dealers like the palque because of crap like this, but "thought" because I got my car there and that they sell a crap load of Vipers that they would know how to take a damn tire off a rim without trashing it. I would have expected that out of Joe Bob's side of the road tire center. I was planing on getting my next Viper there too, but after this ordeal I'll be looking else where.

I'd love to come down in June, but I'm eating pretty much all my vacation up this year In July & August for a few other preplanned trips. Maybe next year.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They didn't even bother saying anything about the 3 huge gouge marks. Guess they figured they ***** me on the tire price that I needed to be ***** alittle more. Since they trashed the bead thought alittle discount could be reached. I'm still bitter about the whole thing 2 weeks later. I normally avoid dealers like the palque because of crap like this, but "thought" because I got my car there and that they sell a crap load of Vipers that they would know how to take a damn tire off a rim without trashing it. I would have expected that out of Joe Bob's side of the road tire center. I was planing on getting my next Viper there too, but after this ordeal I'll be looking else where.

Who at the dealership did you speak with about the issues, the wheel, the tire price ?

And I hate to say it but basically if you had taken the advice given several times very early in this thread and just plugged the tire and went home, your trip would have been better.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess they figured they ***** me on the tire price

Is the tire you purchase a Michelin pilot sport zp 345/30ZR19 ?
On Tirerack.com it shows that tire as oem for a 2003 SRT10.

Their price is $496 plus shipping which it wouldn't give me tonight. Assume $30 bucks. So Tire Rack....probably the cheapest place in the country is at $526 dollars for that tire. No tax, no mounting and no balancing. Mounting and balancing around $25 ?? That makes it $551 and you wouldn't pay sales tax since it is shipped. (maybe, they do have a distribution store in Ga)
So, Ringgold charged you $600 for a tire that would have been $551 plus from Tire Rack. And guess what.....Tire Rack shows that tire on back order :dunno:

Was the $600 mounted and balanced ? Probably. What about tax (around $35+)....did you include that in the $600 ? Probably.

Is $600 high for a tire ?? Hell yea but you need to complain to Michelin about that.
Tell you what....call around and see what you can actually get one for "before" crying **** etc.
Seems to me you are pretty damn lucky anyone even had that tire in stock.

p.s. A plug kit is $10 bucks.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the ZPs were obsoleted. If you got one then it saved you having to buy 2?

Inject the venom - the gas we use to mount Semi tires is Ether. Diesel starting fluid. Basically, it explodes and slams the tire onto the rim. It's scary doing it on a Truck tire, only did it once on a car tire. I was scared it was going to damage the tire (or me). There's a video being emailed around called "mounting a tire with WD40) WD40 doesn't hardly burn, and it certainly doesn't explode. Ether is scary (Ace brand explodes the best!)

Ted