HELP... teens are too close to my bumper

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperzilla - Luckily everyone around my dad's '01 RT/10 has been fairly good to me. I've only been cut off once ( newer Camaro, driver appeared to be 26-28 ). I've been tailgated a couple times, and had someone play the "lets race" game just about every time I've had it out.

Peter - That ***** that you had to go through all that. I guess I've been fairly lucky, or possibly because of the area I live in. It's just for the most part, I've had problems with the older folks. I can only think of one close encounter with a teen, and it was a pizza delivery car who must have thought he had a green arrow.

Insurance.. aarrg.. The nessisary evil. For the # of miles that I've driven without a single accident, I'm thinking they should be a little more friendly to me.

Nexus - Even more good news ( end sarcasm.. hehe ). I haven't had a problem with the cops around here. I've passed a couple running radar, with no problems. Had a cop scope out the car while I was in a burger joint with a lady-friend though. He was gone when we came back out.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nexus,

Remember most cops have the same small mentality of a teenager. Most are not that bright. So what that cop did to you..not surprising.

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are the window tint laws in your state? In Florida the cops don't harrass you too much for illegal tint. I've found that if people cannot see inside the car (the driver) they'll tend to leave you alone and move on. My NSX used to attract the same kind of behavior and once I tinted the sides with limo tint, that behavior pretty much stopped. If you can find the right person, they can tint your windshield as well for the right amount of $$$.

REMIX

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Number 1 will get you thrown in jail for impersonating an officer.
Referring to strobe lights

This will get you in trouble if strobe lights are illegal on streets, or if your strobes are red or blue (possibly even white). In SC, you can have any color strobe you'd like, except red or blue.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Older drivers will do stupid things mistake. Kids will do them for fun or just not give a sh--. I know I was a teen once. Maybe the crap that happens to us on the road now is just payback from the stunts we pulled when we were kids. I get out of their way and let them get AWAY FROM ME. I don't have the time for a wreck.

Andrew 2000 GTS 2 months of blissful ownership so far.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is the study that says older (senior citizens) drivers cause the accidents. Younger drivers become the accident; due to their/our driving inexperience and lack of knowledge with accident avoidance.

Luckily this hasn't been the case with me. I've been in one accident. Hydroplaned in a turn, hitting the rear of a van in the next lane over that was holding up everyone else going 10 under the speed limit.
I've had a couple close calls. Either by my lack of attentiveness, too-aggressive driving, or by out of "luck". I almost crashed head-on coming home from Viper Days at VIR when I started to make a pass on a one-lane-each-way road when the center line was the yellow dashes for both sides. It was night, and I was about even with the passed car. Then, directly in front of me, I see bright head lights coming up fast. I quickly brake, and swerve back to my lane. Who knows how my car stayed under control. I semi-locked the brakes and made the tires strain under the quick redirection at ~70-75 MPH. I had less than a second before the car going the other direction passed me. I estimate I had less than a second and a half to react. Who knows where I would have been if I hadn't been attentive and reacted fast enough.

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in a town where i'm the only viper around so the attention is that much more magnified. Young kids are always tracking me down to get a better look at the snake. It is out of respect that they do this i rarely have a problem with people tail-gating they respect the car to much. :D

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This will get you in trouble if strobe lights are illegal on streets, or if your strobes are red or blue (possibly even white). In SC, you can have any color strobe you'd like, except red or blue.

Install police strobe lights in the back and wave an object similar to a badge.

That will get you thrown in jail. Strobes are for police, safety vehicles and stupid ricers. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
P

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How about, additional flashing red or yellow lights (instead of strobes) in the back plus waving a wallet.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are all just missing the obvious..

Jerome is My Mechanical GENIUS!!!

Did no one else catch the brilliance amongst the treehugging and sniffling?

Jay K.

ps. boo hooo boo hoo

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we are all just missing the obvious..

Jerome is My Mechanical GENIUS!!!

Did no one else catch the brilliance amongst the treehugging and sniffling?

Jay K.

ps. boo hooo boo hoo

I don't know whether that is good or bad :confused:

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, had it happen today. Have someone in thier early 20's play "chicken" with me today. It wasn't exactly close, but still enough to piss me off.

Some people just need a brain. :(

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19 - but I drive careful =)

I avoided some idiot today on the road, the Vipers handling actually contributed to helping avoid the accident. He totally misjudged and tried to make a left turn in front of me, maybe 50ft at most. He must have actually completely not seen me, or he was following a friend who also made a left right in front of him. Regardless, I was forced to swing the car left into
oncoming traffic lanes to get out of his cars path.

I'm the farthest thing from a bad teen driver, but I will admit, I know everyone my age acts like idiots on the road. Sometimes I get scared driving with friends of mine. Letting a few friends test drive the Viper a few weeks ago when I bought it was just absolutely insane. They almost killed me, themselves, and the car. We all luckily survived unscratched.

Chris

S

SUN RA KAT

I only let my Viper Tech drive my Viper because he drives a faster car on the dragstrip and he understands what too much power is all about. Anyone else who asks to drive my Viper I just say "No!" to.

OP
OP
P

Peter-RedGTS'98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19 - but I drive careful =)

Letting a few friends test drive the Viper a few weeks ago when I bought it was just absolutely insane. They almost killed me, themselves, and the car. We all luckily survived unscratched.

Chris

I let my best friend drive it once. He is very careful but he went insane right after the first turn - he loved it so much. Now, I say "NO" to everybody.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm the farthest thing from a bad teen driver, but I will admit, I know everyone my age acts like idiots on the road. Sometimes I get scared driving with friends of mine. Letting a few friends test drive the Viper a few weeks ago when I bought it was just absolutely insane. They almost killed me, themselves, and the car. We all luckily survived unscratched.
You got some big ones to let some of your friends drive the Viper. Just curious, have they ever seen pics of Viper wrecks or heard stories from the board on Viper accidents? And have they ever driven a rwd, mid-horsepower car, like Mustang or Camaro? I couldn't believe it when Lee said I could drive the GTS. I drove slower than a granny in a K-car. I was a little quicker with the gas and clutch the second time around though. ;)