Help with Viper purchase?

hutch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the market for a GTS - Viper. I need help and this forum seems to be a good place to start. Are there any years that are better than others, I know about the ABS on the 01-02 year models. How reliable are the motor,electronics and any other problem areas. Is there any good reading for new Viper owners? I want a VERY nice GTS and the market seems to be suppressed so I think it might be the time to buy? Any input would be very helpful. My main areas of concern are.
Paint Quality, and how about rock chips from the wheels.
Electronics
Motor-Oil leaks and related problems
Parts
Thanks Bill Hutchinson

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Bill,

You have come to the right place and is a great place to start. Each year and model is unique and I don't believe that one is better than the other but different.

I think you should narrow down to what year you want, good place to start is whether you want ABS or not. That decision will draw the line at 01 and newer or older.

Look in the classifieds on this site and visit some of them.

Best of luck.

tealviper94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Be carfull buying Vipers that have low miles. If these cars sit the coolant acts as an acid and eats away the head gaskets. So which ever car you buy. Have the dodge dealer ship check it out. IT IS WELL WORTH IT. Belive me. dont make the mistake I made. buying without having it checked.
Good luck on your search. and when you buy be sure to post pictures.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HTH
Buying a used Viper:

While doing research on used Vipers, I assembled a general list of questions I wanted to get answered, some of which were dealer-specific (at the bottom). It does not have year-specific questions, for example, for the 98 whether it has the upgraded fan. It does have a few RT/10 specific questions though.

Used Viper Questions:

General:
1.Year?
2. Price?
3. Mileage?
4. Clean title?
5. VIN #?
6. Existing lien?
7. In service date?

Equipment:
1. Stock/original, minor modifications (K&N filters, smooth tubes), or more?
2. Exterior and Interior Color? (stripes?)
3. Nature of CD player (single in-dash, trunk player, etc.)
4. Soft-top, hardtop, or both?
5. Bag for soft-top?
6. Bikini top and bag
7. Tonneau cover?
8. Car cover?
9. Existing Factory warranty / extended warranty (or provide additional or transferable warranty)

Condition:
1. General Condition (any nicks, chips, scratches, window cracks, etc.?)?
2. Involved in an accident, damaged, repainted, etc.?
3. Condition under front bumper / spoiler?
4. Condition of top(s)? (Soft-top sagging? Exterior condition?)
5. How maintained? (One owner? How long has each owner had it?)
6. Leather condition? (Split/cracked/worn?)
7. Tires condition (old/hard/checked rubber) Brand/Size (Reasonable tread?)
8. Carpet condition? Floor mats? Condition?
9. Smoker / non-smoker?
10. Nitrous any other power adders used?
11. Used for track events (strip, track, and autocross)?
12. Condition of the rocker panels (top and underside)
13. Condition of inside the door rocker area
14. Scrapes under front bumper / spoiler?
15. Bottomed out?
16. 998 / 999 recall work done (if applicable)
17. Head gaskets (Gen1)?

Buying from a dealer
1. Processing fees?
2. Taxes? (out of state?)

Differences between GenI and GenII: there are two other big ones (besides the exhaust) that stand out:

1. The engine
The majority of reference to “GenI and GenII” refers to engine changes, as there are several differences between the two engines, not the least of which is horsepower. GenI was rated at 400hp, later GenI (96) were rated at 415, and the GenII is rated at 450 (ACR & GT2 rated at 460 due to smooth tubes and filters).

2. The hood
The GenI cars have "smoothie" hoods with no NACA duct between the headlights and no vents above the wheel wells. The cars look different from the front with these changes.

3. Suspension
Changed to GenII suspension in 96. Both the GTS and RT have the same GenII components.

4. Exhaust
Went to rear exit exhaust in 1996

5. Other changes
Power windows, airbags, steering wheel, method of opening the doors, differential housing, CD player, speedometer, wheels, all changed from GenI to GenII

Plan on changing all the fluids on the car unless it is documented and verified that it has been done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte