Help with water pump (i believe) change on a 02 viper with a paxton

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok so a quick rundown....

the other day i was driving around with the ac on and went to switch it to the heater....well the air stayed cool through the vents....switched it to the defrost vents and it started blowing hot

Well later in the night im driving home and smeel coolant so i drive it home....i pull it into the garage and as i get out i hear liquid hitting the ground and steam comming out of the driver side vent on the hood....i pop the hood and

A) steam was comming from right inbetween the two intake inlets on the plenium

B) The passanger side hose from the intercooler had blown off ( i dont know how long it has been like this? :omg: ).

The car gets hot during summer days ( 220-230ish ).... im taking a stab in the dark and saying water pump ( am i close? )

If so what is the procedure to change the water pump on an 02 with a paxton blower on it.

Thanks

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You might have had a stuck thermostat. Your thermostat housing is under the plenum between the two throttle bodies. If its' your water pump that went out and you have a Paxton, you will need to pretty much take the whole front off to get at the water pump.

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The whole front as in the blower, and belt?

I thought about the thermostat, but why would it be pouring coolant out? Im a little upset but at the same time at least it happened pulling into the garage and not on the highway

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id make sure before i started pulling the WHOLE front of that motor off ? and paxton too.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pump the system up using a hand pump to confirm the leak spot before tearing into it. Or clean it up, refill it and do it with the engine running to find the leak.

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is there a easy way to look for the leak? When looking at the front of the motor its hard to see much with the brackets/blower on there.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inspection mirror....and a drop light and patience??

What dave6666 said....

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kind of hand pump do i use? Where do i hook it up?

Sorry for the newb questions...on my other cars it was easier to see the water pump so it was pretty cut and dry if there was an issue with it or something else.

My other concern is the intercooler pipe popping off

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave's talking about a cooling system testing pump. You remove the cooling system relief cap and connect the pump using a special fitting instead. then you can pressurize the system and look for coolant leaks without burning yourself! I find mine to be very handy.

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can i pick one up at autozone?

If i do have to replace the pump i guess now is the time to do the thermostat, and radiator

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can one test to see if the water pump is working properly? I know some of them in early 2000 or 2001 had bad impellers. I have had a heating issue for around a year or so and was wondering if there was a test I could perform before simply "replacing and seeing what happens"...

Do you really need to take the front off to get to the pump???

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any tests for water pump performance, short of ensuring you've done everything else first and if you still think you've got a cooling problem then, well, only one thing left. ;)

The water pump is actually pretty easy to get off. A few minor bolt-on goodies in the way on a stock engine.