Hey guys, I'm new saying hi and have an oil question...

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just picked up my dream car, a mint 94 RT10 with 9K miles. I plan on changing the oil and coolant this weekend and have searched long and hard for my question but haven't found it yet. I know I want to go with Mobil I 5 or 10W30 like the manual suggests, but what I'm not sure about is synthetic vs. conventional. I know most run the full synthetic guess I've always worried about leaks with full syn oils. So question is if I change the oil often can I go with conventional or is that a big no no? From my search I've found they came from the factory with conventional so I was just wondering if anyone runs the dino stuff still. At 9K miles I know she is broke in so any thoughts/advice would be very appreciated. Here is a pic of my beautiful new girl the day I brough her home:

Last edited:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the viper experience!! As far as I know, All Vipers had come from the factory with the synthetic stuff. 10w30 from '92-'05? My 2001 has 10w30 fully synthetic. I know you said you have a '94 but I was under the impression that they all had come form the factory. The only thing that had changed was the amount that was used.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the club.
Most importantly check your tires!
If they are original they are dangerously old and will have no grip.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems that for many years the oil cap said " mobil 1" on them !!?? Stay with the best for the car...mopar filters work well...

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed speaking with you today...call if you need anything.

For the record, the Viper factory oil fill was "dino" oil for all Gen I's, including the 1996 RT/10's.

As the Gen II 1996 GTS's came out in the last half of that production year, they came with Mobil 1 10W-30 (synthetic) as markrd in red-white-blue logo letters on the oil cap.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
our resident oil guru uses dino (15w-40) and recommends that or 0w-40 european synthetic

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! A lot of nice folks here and a lot of good advice.Join up and you'll get even more help with your Viper. Best club on the planet!I have a 94 too and a 99 GTS. Everyone here has been very helpful to me .I am sure you'll enjoy the comraderie and the good posts.Congrats! :drive:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your new purchase. The older gens are bullett proof and I miss mine. You might want to change ALL the fluids because of the age of the car unless done in the last 2 years. I would only use synthetic with the weight specified in your manual. And as mentioned above you may need new Michelin rubber. Dont just let any shop do your work either as these cars are unique. See if your local Dodge dealer has a Viper tech. PS I hope thats just a big leave that blew into your left rear wheel !!

Stretch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!

Shoot me an email if you want to meet up on Sunday, it's supposed to be sunny.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Enjoyed speaking with you today...call if you need anything.

For the record, the Viper factory oil fill was "dino" oil for all Gen I's, including the 1996 RT/10's.

As the Gen II 1996 GTS's came out in the last half of that production year, they came with Mobil 1 10W-30 (synthetic) as markrd in red-white-blue logo letters on the oil cap.

That explains why when I had the head gaskets replaced they recommended the break in (500 miles) on dino. Then switch to syn.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our '94 RT/10 was purchased new and has always had Mobil 1 10w30. 51,000 miles and has never leaked a drop.

Rod, where you been? BTW, for being the longest running member in the region, you sure have a low post count! Is that about to change now that I see you on-line?

eurowalt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Welcome abord=) I have a 95 and back then the oil was rated wit an API SG level now days the rating is API SM This is a much higher grade of pertection for the motor. So I use a full syn oil now for my Viper. 99% of all car full syn oils are API SM. 10w30 Check out Costco GREAT prices on there oil Mobil 1. And for the oil filter I use Mopar OEM. Hope this helps.

Walter G

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve, yes very nice talking to you, thanks for walking me through my coolant bottle leak "ugh".

Jason, definately lets meet Sunday!

Everyone else, thanks, I'll be going with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10W30 or 5W30 if they have it!

Jason

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record, the last car made that had elastomer compatibility issues with synthetic oils was a Mazda rotary. Since then the seals are better, the oils have to meet seal compatibility test requirements, and the OEMs have upped the elastomer types. No model year Viper falls in the category of needing to watch what oil type is used.

By the way, as the API category has changed from SG to the current SN, so has the base oils. Due to the volatility of all-mineral formulations (i.e. evaporates when hot, gives appearance of oil consumption) better quality mineral oils and synthetic-like mineral oils are used. If you've heard of Group II, II+ and Group III base oils, these are the "newer" versions of what is now called Group I. In the good old days, there were no "Group" designations and mineral oils were mineral oils. There is an extremely high probability that any 5W30 and maybe 10W30 oil today has Group II, Group II+ and maybe Group III base oil in it.

You can't go wrong with the factory fill recommendation. But like a lot of OEM parts, sometimes the decisions are based on costs or marketing. Better oils are (not what you think) those with more additives, not simply better base oils. A synthetic base oil will allow lower and higher temperatures, but at extremes that you would want the engine at. The real performance comes from additives that provide anti-wear, detergency, dispersancy, oxidation protection, corrosion protection, and more. While a gasoline engine oil has enough of these, a diesel engine oil has far more, probably 2X. A higher performance oil would be a mineral diesel oil (I would put this above a synthetic pass car oil) and the "best" oil would be a synthetic diesel oil. Due to the specific nature of diesels in the US, they are really only available in 15W40 mineral and 5W40 synthetic.

**** NEWS FLASH ***

I found Shell Rotella synthetic diesel oil in a 10W30 grade at Walmart. This would be the "fuel economy" version of a diesel oil, but ideal for any pass car and Viper, too.

A very very worthy alternative is the 0W40 synthetic oils that have European ACEA performance. In Europe half the cars are diesels, so it would have similar high additive treat rates and high protection. It is also factory fill for newer model year Vipers.

Coolants - highly recommend a long-life coolant. The green factory fill coolant is old technology and this is one automotive fluid that has taken a quantum leap forward.

I have a '94 also now with ~109K miles. Enjoy it!

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
94 r/t 10 came from the factory with 10w 30 conventional oil. It is my recommendation to stay with it. My 94 r/t has only had conventional oil and when I took it apart to put on new head gaskets the engine was spotless and appeared new! Just my opinion.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
94 r/t 10 came from the factory with 10w 30 conventional oil. It is my recommendation to stay with it. My 94 r/t has only had conventional oil and when I took it apart to put on new head gaskets the engine was spotless and appeared new! Just my opinion.

I'm sure you didn't put on the original style head gaskets, you put on a new and improved version. Same goes for engine oil...

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to fear..
Your viper is not a piece of porcelain. It's a basic design.....

(My Viper likes Mobil 1, 5W-40 turbo diesel.)

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
COngrats on the new car! I just picked mine up this past weekend too. I would go full synthetic. I use full synthetic in all my cars. I still change the oil at 1000 mile intervals though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96