Hi-Flow Cat Question...I know, Again!!!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, have read the exhaust thread and other threads on the subject, so now have one question left.

Was at an event yesterday and heard RTech and Roe hi-flows. Both sounded good (through Corsa cat-back, I think). So, I checked just to get some prices and also found that Belanger makes hi-flows to purchase separately...all with varying prices and "styles".

Any experience with Belanger hi-flows? Are all three about the same, so just pick the least expensive? Also, on Roe's site, he shows different ones, one set is $429, two others are around $311. Any difference or can I use the ones that are $311.

High Flow Catalytic Converters - Roe Racing

Here's the link to the Belanger's:

Belanger High Flow Cat Hook-up Kit Dodge Viper 92-02

Parts rack shows two different RTech cats, again, there is a 2 1/2" that is $289/pr and a 3" at $329, can I use the 2 1/2"?:

PartsRack.com - Home

If I don't need to spend the extra money (assuming they're all bascially the same), the money I save on cats can go towards something else!

Any help would be appreciated!:headbang:

Last edited:

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure you'll get a straight answer from anyone on the subject. You'll just get opinions of what everyone has.

Bellangers and random tech exhaust, but I'll probably go catless since paying $300-$400 for cats that will eventually go bad isn't worth it.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Random Tech HI-Flow CATS, the difference in the price comes from the internals. The guys are actually made of different materials.

Give Jon-B a call ... he can explain and get you a good price.:2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didn't know about the belangers

some of the differences to look for:
metal or ceramic
2 1/2 or 3 "
weld in or clamp in (roe did a fine job making his diy friendly)

if you heard a corsa system, the catback will account for most of the sound (tone) quality, and corsa catback was designed as a stock catback, so some think it sounds best with stock cats

if just replacing your cats, hiflows sound much better

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I have no idea what's true anymore regarding quality between hi-flo cats anymore. Depending on who/which vendors you ask either Bad Boyzz, RT's, Belangers and Roes all **** or they're all good. :dunno:

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
High Flow Ceramic Cats tone down your sound & are good for stock Vipers but will fall apart under extreme use ( OEM are SS Metal Substrate ).

High Flow Metal Cats are louder & hold up much better for the WOT type Viper along with high HP upgrades.

So consult with your right foot and both ears before purchasing. Ooh yeah I almost forgot, the Little Mrs. as well:nono:

All in good fun!
Toddy

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Tony, it was actually the discussion we had yesterday that triggered this question. Its my personality to always research anything that I do. I know that Chuck likes the Roe cats, but they are also the most expensive. In the end, the decision will be based on what he says, but at least this presents me with options.

My car will never be heavily modded, so not sure it will ever kill ceramic cats. I already have muffler delete on the car, so the next thing to do logically would be cats. I do want the car louder, so whichever I choose that is a major consideration.

So, looks like all the Roe cats are metallic, Random Tech seems to offer both, though the cheaper ones are ceramic and the Belangers don't specify.

Thanks again for the feedback, very much appreciated!

Peter

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I have no idea what's true anymore regarding quality between hi-flo cats anymore. Depending on who/which vendors you ask either Bad Boyzz, RT's, Belangers and Roes all **** or they're all good. :dunno:

Can I get an A-men! There seems to be a lot of information/misinformation out there on cats. JonB likes the Random Tech cats, Lou Belanger likes the Belanger cats, Sean Roe likes the Roe cats and I haven't personally talked to the Bad Boyzz, but I'm pretty sure they like their product ;).

It's probably a good idea to go with one setup that you have heard and like or take the advice of your trusted installer.

I went with Belanger headers, Random Tech cats and the Corsa cat-back 3" exhaust. I likey the sound that combination makes. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard a few setups yesterday, both had headers, cats, cat-backs. I know I like the sound of Tony's car and he has RTech's. The other car sounded similar, not sure what cats he has.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LifeIsGood, please clarify. Which RandomTech Cats? Metal or Ceramic?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Random Tech is a USA manufacturer. 5-year Mfr Warrantee. They publish flow rates in CFM.

The others use un-named, un-specified brands of cats, labelled as theirs. No flow rates are mentioned, only Cu. Inch Ratings.

Random DOES make a 2'5" Ceramic, or 2.5" Super-High-Flow Honeycomb Metal cat, as well as a 3" variant of each. To many, the TONE might matter as much as the flow rates.

Since you are research-oriented, call or Email Random Tech in GA?

Thanks guys! Tony, it was actually the discussion we had yesterday that triggered this question. Its my personality to always research anything that I do. I know that Chuck likes the Roe cats, but they are also the most expensive. In the end, the decision will be based on what he says, but at least this presents me with options.

My car will never be heavily modded, so not sure it will ever kill ceramic cats. I already have muffler delete on the car, so the next thing to do logically would be cats. I do want the car louder, so whichever I choose that is a major consideration.

So, looks like all the Roe cats are metallic, Random Tech seems to offer both, though the cheaper ones are ceramic and the Belangers don't specify.

Thanks again for the feedback, very much appreciated!

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jon, thanks for the response. As to tone, in your expert opinion, what is the difference? Are you talking about loudness or tone quality?

Lastly, is the price the same for the metal vs. ceramic 2 1/2?

Thanks very much!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LifeIsGood, please clarify. Which RandomTech Cats? Metal or Ceramic?

I have the ceramic substrate.

If you look at the Random Technology website...

Random Technology Dodge/Chrysler products

You'll see this listing...

Dodge Viper
94-02
8.0L
Adapter number 392501 required to fit stock exhaust
181-30002

The item number 181-30002, has been replaced by 172-30002, but the website hasn't been updated. My paperwork that I received from RT back in Nov 2009 has the newer item number listed. The adapter is needed if you are hooking up the new cat (which is 3") to your original 2.5" exhaust.
RT says that the metallic substrate has a higher flow capability and is less prone to cracking due to collisions (like bumping them into speed bumps).

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running a Borla cat back with stock headers ( bought the car this way ) and always planned to changed to a Corsa because the Borla didn't do it for me. A few friends/members are running the Corsa cat back and also full Belanger systems that I swore sounded so much better than my set up until.... I spoke to Sean @ Roe, got a set of his HF cats and now everyone is asking what I run and loves the sound, especially when I get on it. To note it's the older Borla set up with only two mufflers. Dont' think I will switch now unless I go full Belanger, it's just much louder and I like loud.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, can anyone tell me ( if you're experienced both), how much louder the metal substrate is compared to the ceramic?

Thanks very much for helping out

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, can anyone tell me ( if you're experienced both), how much louder the metal substrate is compared to the ceramic? Thanks very much for helping out

The Exhaust Matters, The Rear Matters

-In a stock rear exhaust, NOT MUCH. In sidepipes, a LOT.
--In a rear hi-flow cat back, stock manifolds, MODERATLEY louder; a LOT with sidepipes.
---In a car with headers and a hi-flow cat back, a LOT !

The folks at Corsa dont make cats....have bought a fair amount of Random Tech cats,,,, they prefer to mate their cat-backs with ceramic.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been completely happy with the 3" high flows I got from Jon B. My cdi headers end in a v band clamp and the 3" corsa starts with a v band clamp. The cats have v-band also as does a straight pipe. Remove sill and switch from cats to no cats in minutes. Got corsa,headers and cats from Jon B. no cats is LOUD. Way too loud for a side pipe car but great for a rear exhaust. Mostly I go catless but have on occasion switched back and forth.Viper specialty did the welding for the v band set up. GTS Bruce

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, have read the exhaust thread and other threads on the subject, so now have one question left.

Also, on Roe's site, he shows different ones, one set is $429, two others are around $311. Any difference or can I use the ones that are $311.

High Flow Catalytic Converters - Roe Racing

Parts rack shows two different RTech cats, again, there is a 2 1/2" that is $289/pr and a 3" at $329, can I use the 2 1/2"?:

If I don't need to spend the extra money (assuming they're all bascially the same), the money I save on cats can go towards something else!

Any help would be appreciated!:headbang:

You asked about the difference in price for the cat's from Roe, one is just the cat and the other is the bolt in kit with 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch pipes welded on by ROE. YOu have to specify what you need. The stock pipe in 2 1/2 inch.

I just installed the ROE kit and drove it for the first time about an hour ago. Very happy with the improvement it made to the exhaust note. Everything seems much crisper.

This is in a stock 96 GTS. I considered removing the side sill muffler ( same config as the 96 RT/10 but wanted hear how much louder just the Hiflow cat was. It the volume level is up but not much but the exhaust sounds so much better.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats r-2,

like having a new car :drive

if you remove the side resonators you will increase drone

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats r-2,

like having a new car :drive

if you remove the side resonators you will increase drone

Your right, it is almost like having a new car. The sound at idle seems be just a little louder but more defined, more crisp. When you step on the loud pedal, you get what you ask for, a more open throated roar. It is AWESOME!.

As for performance, I got a little more wheel spin than I normally do. I had to be more conservative with the throttle...:) that is a good thing! What I don't know is whether or not it was due to the increased horsepower or the colder than normal temperatures or combination of both.

My wife will be much happier to ride with me. She used to complain about how hot her feet were getting but I think that is now a thing of the past.

All in all, I am very happy that I did this!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yay, got theword from "The Boss" that I'm getting hi-flow cats for Christmas! Just need to get Chuck's opinion.

Happy holiday to me!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know from speaking with Jon B, that the offer a pipe to make upthe space when switching to the RTech hi-flows. Still puts it under$ 300 to switch to ceramics.

AV108U

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am running a Borla cat back with stock headers ( bought the car this way ) and always planned to changed to a Corsa because the Borla didn't do it for me. A few friends/members are running the Corsa cat back and also full Belanger systems that I swore sounded so much better than my set up until.... I spoke to Sean @ Roe, got a set of his HF cats and now everyone is asking what I run and loves the sound, especially when I get on it. To note it's the older Borla set up with only two mufflers. Dont' think I will switch now unless I go full Belanger, it's just much louder and I like loud.

I am running the same set up and love the sound. Keeps the boards
cool too!!!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. In the end, I will end up discussing with Chuck and get his expert opinion (especially since he will be installing).

I will try to take a video of the current stock w/muffler :Ddelete, then I'll be able to compare when I do the hi-flows!