Hi-flow cats

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting Hi-flow cats on my Paxton S/C car. Will I have to re-tune the car(split second)?. I'm going from the OEM cats on a Corsa track exhaust to some hi-flow cats. Seems to be a shortage of Viper tuners here in Houston that deal with the Split second engine management setup I have.

Thanks,
Robert

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stick with the OE or get rid of the cats all together on a boosted car im told. and im sure A.R.T can tune it for ya

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
stick with the OE or get rid of the cats all together on a boosted car im told.

Thanks plum.

My car is down on power, and feels like it's bogging. Plus, I used about a 1/2 tank of gas in 50 miles yesterday without getting on it too hard. After talking with DC Performance, they said it sounds like the cats are plugged or messed up. I'm taking it to Tomball and have it looked at today, but had forgot to ask Dan about re-tuning.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OEM cats and Corsa track are 2.5" so if you go with a larger diameter hi-flow cat, you'll have to so something with the Corsa...

Ron

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me help save you a lot of headache and aggrevation. Ditch the Cats. I've tried it all, the stock cats going into a 3 inch exhaust, 3 inch random tech metal substrate cats (supposedly the best), and then I went with 3 inch gutted cats (meaning I knocked out the ramdom techs that i paid $400 for i believe), becuase DC told me they were most likely clogged. They didnt even make it much past a year I believe. And I certainly was losing power from them being clogged. Dyno proven, I went from 550 ish rwhp to 700+ rwhp, and it was mostly from knocking out the cats, and a proper DC tune.

To cut down on noise, I highly recommend the vortex cones inside the pipes where the cats used to be. My car is quieter then my dads stock motor, corsa 3.0 cat back system (with random tech high flow cats).

If the car was not boosted, I'd say to go with random tech cats would be fine, but with boost, they just dont seem to live very long and are not worth the headache, hassle or wasted money.

Jon

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You are correct to look at tuning issues. If your cats are plugged, be sure to deal with the rich-burn situation that plugged them in the first place. Cats are passive.....especially the metal substrate ones. They do NOT create particulates that dimish flow.... fuel-soot causes this. If you have a lean-burn, you wont plug your cats, unless you damage them somehow.

Legality aside, Catless = flames and stink and backfiring, esp on sidepipe cars.

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm running Random cats and they are restricting my flow. Mine are coming off! I may be selling them. I'm running a Paxton SC.

You must be registered for see images attach

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to Dan and their excellent tune, no backfires at all (heck stock had more decelleration rumble then my current setup with no cats and a great tune). And NO FLAMES... although some actually like that, as it seems 'wicked.' But not me, I'm glad I have no flames, probably helps that I have the vortex cones aero passthrough mufflers ontop of the corsa 3.0 inch track.

now, fuel stinky... yups.. u aint getting around that, but if you tune it right, and your car has a great AFR, the smell is definitely BETTER (lesser) then one without it.

I highly highly recommend DC performance for tuning these paxton setups. Their knowledge is invaluable, they've seen it all before, and they know what to do.

Jon

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I highly highly recommend DC performance for tuning these paxton setups. Their knowledge is invaluable, they've seen it all before, and they know what to do.

Jon

My Paxton was installed and tuned by DC Performance so no problems in that regard. The only problem is that they are in Cali, and I'm in Tx.:)

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
looks like youre less than 3 hours to buda,tx...... where A.R.T is. they can tune it for ya easily im sure.

American Racing Technology - BMW, Mercedes, Aston Martin, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini in Buda, TX

Probably end-up there. I talked to a company yesterday here in Houston. Guy said he did "tons of Vipers". Just after that he opened the drivers door to pop the hood.:rolleyes: Sooo, ya, I'll take it to A.R.T.

The Viper tech at Tomball is doing a great job so far with fabbing up some stuff so I can keep my Corsa the way I want. What didn't impress me at all was the job that was done by whoever installed the Corsa in the first place. They welded the oem cats to the muffler(actually burnt through in places, then re-welded). The welding looked like something a teen would do the 1st time in shop class. Absolutely not befitting a Hi-performance car like a Viper. Actually, not any car for that matter. I took a pic with my phone, but don't know how to post that here.

Note: DC performance did NOT install the Corsa. I know who did, but am not going to get into that here.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Installed aftermarket high flow cats like many others after Paxton install. One side began to clog up very early on and had to be removed. Other side was clogging too.

If you want cats, ask DC or other tuners for a set of secondary "take off" OE cats.

Have a good fabricator open them up to 3 inches and install them in the same spot as the aftermarket high flow cats. Connect them to your choice of mufflers. They are quite a bit larger and flow very well. 10,000 miles on them now and no issues with 925 rwhp, 530 ci big bore, Stryker heads, +++.

No stink, relatively quiet. I think I paid $1 to 200 for the pair.

Dan

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after talking with ART via email, they do not tune with Split second, but can get a guy in who does. I see a VEC or SCT set-up in my future:(

Rob, did you already get your exhaust changed out? If not, I can help ya with it and I have a lift in the garage. I am doing a RT/Corsa with SCT install this weekend (I've done the exhaust install a few times).

OP
OP
shooter_t1

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Rob, did you already get your exhaust changed out? If not, I can help ya with it and I have a lift in the garage. I am doing a RT/Corsa with SCT install this weekend (I've done the exhaust install a few times).

Thanks Eric. I already had the exhaust done by Morgan at Tomball, then had the tune dyno checked by LMR. Excellent guys. I'm gonna get LMR to put **** injection on it next. I'm not gonna tune for anymore hp, just run safer with the 650 rwhp I have now. I would like to go without cats, but as cool as 3 foot flames might look, I doubt a cop would be impressed.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Eric. I already had the exhaust done by Morgan at Tomball, then had the tune dyno checked by LMR. Excellent guys. I'm gonna get LMR to put **** injection on it next. I'm not gonna tune for anymore hp, just run safer with the 650 rwhp I have now. I would like to go without cats, but as cool as 3 foot flames might look, I doubt a cop would be impressed.

You will not pass inspection without the cats unless you have a hookup somewhere, I would leave the cats on (that is why I am changing my exhaust system again, and I have never shot flames out of my car yet.... :))

spmorgan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm about to get a Paxton installed on my 2003, and talked to several two good tuners here in Florida about cats/no cats/high flow. The advice I got was to remove one set of cats but leave the stock second cat, as the "high flows" clog.

I guess that's what I'm going to do...

Shawn