HID headlight upgrade

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys saw the post on headlight upgrades where Eric Wong from LiteSwap was looking for somebody to test out their HID upgrade kit in a Viper.
Well, I said yes and within a week I had the box on my porch.

Anyway, here are some before and after pictures, as well as some installation pics:
Before:
61BeforeFull-med.jpg

HID:
61HIDFull-med.jpg

Before:
61BeforeR-med.jpg

HID:
61HIDR-med.jpg

Before:
61BeforeL-med.jpg

HID:
61HIDL-med.jpg

Although the pics don't show a big difference because the digital camara is trying to balance the light, in real life the HIDs are visibly brighter.
The ones that I picked were the 4500K "Rising daylight" HID lights, which aren't the typical blue-cast HID bulbs and actually are more the color of daylight reflected in a mirror.

It's interesting because now I can spot HID lights from a distance because they definitely look different (clearer, brighter, less yellow) than conventional lights. Locally I see them are mostly on BMWs and Mercedes, but also on some Porsches, Audis, and on a few Japanese sport/luxury cars.

I haven't had anyone flash their highbeams at me, so I don't think that the extra brightness is too annoying, especially with the Viper so low (it would be blindingly terrible in a SUV or big truck), but most of the light is on the road, and the HIDs really light up the road much better and further, being very focused like spotlights on the ground.

My mechanic and I worked to get as close to following the enclosed instructions as possible.
The two slight modifications that we made were swapping the O-rings from the halogen bulbs onto the new HID bulbs as it was too tight a fit with the thicker standard O-ring that came with the HIDs.
61Thick-Thin-med.jpg

And secondly we shaved down the ground lead so that it would plug (along with the positive lead) into the standard DC power plug.

We took a little more time/effort working to install all of the HID electronics within the enclosed headlight assembly, so that it looked stock, and so that we could keep it clean and air tight (without cutting holes for external wiring).

Here is the open headlight assembly with the HID fuse tucked in on the right, and the other component box tucked in a gap on the left.
61HIDWires-med.jpg

And we mounted the igniter box on the headlight back-cover at an angle so that it fit in comfortably.
61Igniter-med.jpg

Anyway it took a few hours to do the initial bulb testing, and fitting all of the wires and electronics inside the bulb assemblies, and getting everything tied down securely so it wouldn't rattle or shift around.

But I'm quite pleased with the end results considering that the superior HID lights usually cost thousands of dollars as a factory option on luxury cars, and they are fitting to have on the Viper with it's high speed capabilities.
The visibity is clearly improved with the HIDs providing brighter, more filled in, and evenly distributed light that really blows away the Viper's stock headlights.

-Dean.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How much was that system? Are HID the same as the H bulbs where if you touch them, they can burst? What life expect do you get out of HID?

OP
OP
S

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ab,

I think that LiteSwap's price on the HID conversion kit is $499, but Eric had mentioned that he could put together a lower group buy price if enough people were interested.

This is my first experience with HID bulbs, but I know from data projector bulbs that if you touch the actual glass bulb surface, the oils from your skin can cause the bulb to heat up and shatter.

But the kit came with little clear plastic bulb "helmets" and the first thing that you do after you wire the power up is the test the bulbs to see that everything works fine.

Then you pull off the plastic protector and plug it in.
The instructions had precautions on nearly every page, but in the end the setup wasn't that hard. You just have to be mindful of what you are doing.

Supposedly, the HID bulbs should last as long as the car does. :laugh:

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that LiteSwap's price on the HID conversion kit is $499, but Eric had mentioned that he could put together a lower group buy price if enough people were interested.

If the price was right, I'd be interested. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc