Hood Hinges when open?

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard that on the GTS that when the hood is open fully, it doesn't put stress on the hinges. Just wondering if this is true? I'd like to keep my hood up when I'm not driving it for ease of the battery tender.

Thanks!

Mark

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I use a hood prop when leaving the hood up for extended periods...including when I'm working on the car...so far, no hinge problems after 12, 11, 10, 9, 6, and 5 years respectively.

I leave the hood open about 1" (at the last or second catch position) when using battery tenders...which are always connected (except during storms).

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My hood has been fully open, without a prop, from October to just about two weeks ago. No problems but I think having a prop, be it a DIY prop or one of them fancy telescoping props is a cheap investment to have mostly if you're working under the hood and don't want it splitting your noggin open. Steve00RT/10 fabricated a hood prop out of wood. You should be able to find the thread with the search feature.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As we always say regarding handgun magazine springs and hammer springs...it's not sitting in a compressed or decompressed state that causes fatigue, it's the cycling between the two that causes fatigue.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I keep my tender hooked up I just place the tender where you would put a VEC and run the wires don the side of the car. You can close the back(windshield) part of the hood just to the track and not hurt the wires or hinges. keeping your hood fully open will warp the fiberglass. Just lower the back and keep the front in the up position.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I am more concerned about the hood bending than the springs. My tender comes out the gill and the hood stays down by the windshield.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with ViperTony on this one.

I had my hood fully open for the last 4+ months with no ill effects. The hood is pretty well balanced at the full-open position with virtually no tension. Two fingers to move it up or down.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with ViperTony on this one.

I had my hood fully open for the last 4+ months with no ill effects. The hood is pretty well balanced at the full-open position with virtually no tension. Two fingers to move it up or down.

I'd imagine the hood would become warped not so much from the hood being fully open and balanced but from repeatedly opening, lifting and closing it improperly. But I am certainly no expert on the subject. Just curious.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang