hood speaker screw

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys

Read in a previous post about removing the hood speakers three screws from under the hood, but to be carefull not to lose the screws as they can fall between the two layers of the hood?? and make a rattling noise when opening the hood. I got that rattling noise near the drivers side hood speaker looked and one of the screws are missing,must of been from the previous owner.

Anyways, how do i get that screw, do i take off the hood pad? I want to remove the hood speakers to repaint and clean all the dirt particles stuck to the paint under the speaker grill.

Thanks

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a strong magnet (rare earth types work best). Open up the hood and from the inside try to coax the screw towards a hole to get it out.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...and, if that fails, remove NACA duct (WATCH the shims !!!) and try to coax the screw out at the duct site. If this is the same thing that happened to one of our guys, the screw was trapped under the hood "skin" and not under the pad...and, at least in our minds, at risk to damage the "skin".

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=89756&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I suppose that you could be dealing with a pebble trapped under the pad also.

Good luck.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I repainted my grilles, I lost 1 or 2 screws (cant remember) but they dont make any rattling noise when opening the hood. I guess they couldve fallen out a long time ago, but I never heard any rattling even right after dropping them

OP
OP
S

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve did you just use the magnet to coax the screw back to where the oringinal screw hole on the hood speaker. And whould i know where inside the hood the screw is????

Steve 02/RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the hood opened I wrapped the magnet with a rag and started fishing at the front inside of the hood and found them. I purchased a very strong magnet 1 inch square on E-bay. Then just manipulated them to the speaker opening. Hope this helps you. Do a search on ebay for very strong magnet.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
SuperSaiks...Viperbass and I TRIED to "coax" the screw back to point of entry...to no avail (but it's certainly the place to start).
After 1-2 hrs, we removed the NACA duct and used a BIG magnet (padded with a soft towel) to walk the screw toward the opening, then grabbed the screw with the small magnet-on-a-stick (one of thiose found at Sears or a small hardware/auto store). I clearly recall just how much of a PITA it was !!

PHILIP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was scared of doing that earlier in the week fortunately it did not happen!!. If the magnet does not work you could remove the hood and tip up to make the screw fall out, its only 4 bolts holding the hood and about 6 hands to hold the hood.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lost the screw in my 2000 hood. Fell down to the hinge plate area. Used small mag to locate screw (you can hear it). Then use a light gauge wire that's easily bendable (3 or 4 feet) with mag on end and snake it down thru any access hole to where screw is. Mag will grab screw and you can carefully retrieve it. Mad doesn't need to be strong, just small enough to fit in hole and preferably with a hloe in it to attach wire. Any hardware store will have all. It works and is quick! When you're working with these scews THEN is the time to have a strong magnetic scewdriver.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a magnetic screw driver when removing the grills, the problem is you have to reach across the engine to unscrew them and they are misaligned with the hole. as you retract the screw driver with the screw attached it is almost impossible not to knock the screw off...

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, it's always a dicey operation. They also make a phillips with screw retainer prongs that electronic shops carry that sometimes help, especially installing.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when installing the screw push the screw through some electrical tape stick on end of screwdriver it leaves a little tape but on harm!

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tip:
Magnetize your own screw driver using a strong 'rare earth' magnet (or a gang of them stacked together). It's a lot quicker than going out and trying to buy one. Also, instead of electrical tape, use painter's tape (like you use for detailing and the track). It comes off the screw cleanly once you've replaced it back in its hole.

When I do mine, I only break them loose to start with and then bring the angle of the hood down as far as I can to finish the removal with the magnetized screw driver.

F

FrgMstr

Wow, that is the first time I have seen a 6 year old thread answered.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of all the posters it seems to me that Chad, based on numerous past posts, is the person most likely to have the most knowledge about a hood speaker screw.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery