hood wont stay up

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so, bringing viper out of storage, I decide to install the smooth tubes I had bought

the hood just wouldn't stay up, every time I held it open, if I let go, it would slowly but surely close

I had trouble with this last year when I bought the car, seems it would then stay open sometimes

hinges are too greased up (can I ungrease? hehe)? hinges died from old age and I need to replace them?

car is a 1999 RT-10

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just prop a piece of wood against it. That's what I do for my GTS. Or you can wait and eventually the grease will wear down.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely degrease the coils. Here's my post on this subject from several years back:

My hood has always needed to be propped up with a dowel since I bought it back in Aug of '05. Sometimes it would stay up, but not where I would trust walking away from it. When it did feel like staying open, the slightest breeze or movement would cause it to fall. I'm lucky I never learned the hard way. Last week I went out and bought some GUNK engine de-greaser. I placed an old towel all around the springs and put a large pan under the car to catch the drippings just in case it's not good for concrete, and blasted them with the GUNK. I let it sit for a few hours. Hood seemed to be no better than before, but I still noticed there was some type of grease/lube in the coils. I then used a stream and blasted through the openings of the coils. I waited a few hours, came back with a water bottle and soaked the hinges down with water. The next morning, I came out and the coils looked brand new with no more grease/lube/crap in them. I took the dowel off and was amazed at the results. I could now close the hood several inches from fully open and the damn thing now stays open. It creaked like a SOB when I fully closed it, but after opening it back up the creaking has gone away. It honestly feels like I have a new hood now. I'll probably need to see a therapist to help me get over the 2 years I couldn't leave it open anywhere from fear it would fall. I've always felt like an idiot when someone wanted to see the engine and I would pop the hood and hold it while they looked.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful with the wood, I did this and someone opened and closed the door a few times and the wood slipped and the hood came down on the wood and there is a faint crack I can see through the paint and hood liner got a chunk taken out!

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was a common problem on the earlier cars and was due to a heat treat problem with the coil springs. Once the warranty replaced them, that never occurred again on my 97.
Jerry

OP
OP
S

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone got hood springs for sale then? ;)

how hard are they to change, hopefully don't need to take hood off? (will check in my service manual later)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery