Hopefully going to the strip tomorrow for the first time, just a few ???'s

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully going to the strip tomorrow for the first time, just a few ???\'s

If all (weather and friends getting off of work) goes well tomorrow I will be at Palmdale to make my first official 1/4 mile pass. I plan on dropping the psi on the rears to 20 launching on the last yellow light and shifting at about 5500.

Should I leave everything in the trunk to weigh it down or empty all but the spare to lighten it up?

How high should I rev at launch?

Any other tips? I don't want to be the first 14 sec viper.

I have a Gen I with only tubes and filters what kind of time should I expect and at what speed. Temp is in the low 70's/high 60's, I dunno the elevation.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Hopefully going to the strip tomorrow for the first time, just a few ???\'s

TIRE PRESSURE! I will drop my thoughts, but I am sure we can get some even more experienced Drag Racers to jump in with their ideas.

Michelin Pilot Sports 18 lbs rear
45 lbs front

Have fun and slip the clutch out at 2000-2500 --- dump it and you will kill more Mosquitos than a City Truck spraying Malathion.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've read numerous times to shift the 1-2 at 6 and then the rest at 5.5 on the tach, of course this is internet knowledge. My results will be posted shortly!!
smile.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Low 12s. If you don't get low 12s then you will be banished from this site and forced to drive an SUV or minivan for the rest of your life.

I prefer lightweight, 1/3 tank. Many prefer more weight. The jury is still out.

The **** is right. But I would start at around 20 to 21 psi back. 40 to 45 front is good. Good for knocking off up to .3 in 1/4 times.

Keep one eye on the tach and shift between 53 and 56.

I assume it's a test 'n tune or heads up night right? In any case, the clock doesn't start until the tires move out of the beam, just go on the last yellow.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is my best time to date 12.63. I run a 3/4-full tank, 24lbs. in each tire, launch at 1000-1200, and keep it in 3rd at the end of the run. This is a bone stock 93, with antenna, top off and rear window out as well as an empty trunk.

Now before all you "drag racers" jump all over me please let me explain why I do it this way: First, this is how my car is every day, so it never surprises me. Second, I have tried many of the "drag advantages (remove wipers, push in side mirrors, K&N Filters, less gas in the tank, more air in the front) and in each case I have never been able to match my best time running the car "as is".

So before you take all of the "pro advice" you might want to really get familiar with what you have, get consistent and then start to make adjustments. Then and only then will you have a measuring barometer, since every Viper is a little different. In truth, the only thing you can compare any changes to is what your car normally does verses what it does when altered.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quiet Chuck, or no more soup for you (a metaphor for something else), you've never run this track. What time ya going Allen, I may tag along. Palmdale is a notoriously sloooow track because of the elevation (2,700 feet) so don't be disappointed at the slow times and low trap speeds, it's about a 1/2 second & 6-8 mph slower then a sea level track. Drop the rears to 20-22 psi, I usually rev to 800-1,000 rpm drop the clutch you'll lurch a little and then nail it shifting at around 5,500 rpms. No matter what gears you run you'll need to throw 4th so don't try winding out 3rd. My best time there with the mods listed below with the exception of the full exhaust was:

rt .709 (ugh)
60' 1.815
1/8 8.102
1/4 12.539
mph 111.883

You can see I had a great 60' time on the Pilots but the thin air choked the car out, again let me know what time this starts (5pm?), I may go.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fair enough Ron. I didn't pay attention to the Gen I part and I can empathize with the "slow track" issue. 12.5 is acceptable.

Now can I have soup?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FUSCUCLA1,

I will be up at Palmdale tomorrow night with my friends race car. I will introduce myself if you attend.

Russ

OP
OP
F

FUSCUCLA1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kungfool:
fuscUCLA... Wouldn't that put you at SEA LEVEL???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UCLA is close to sea level but the strip is an 1-1.5hr north in the desert.

Ron I think gates open at 5. I think we may leave as early as 3 or 4 but I can wait up if you want to drive up together. Having another Viper there to show the crowd that not all Vipers are 14 sec cars would be great
laugh.gif
, plus I will finally get to hear your exhaust. It seems our schedules have never been in line.

Steve, you run with the top off???? Isn't it against the regulations? Anyone know if tops are required in Palmdale??

Russ, I am looking forward to meeting you.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You MUST have your hardtop on!!!! Tech inspection at LACR will not let you race without it. I will try and meet you up there, expect low 13s a high 12 would be GREAT!!!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And don't worry about the times too much. I was told that one of our local guys ran his Gen 1 for the very first time last week. 15.6 on his first run and 14.5 on his second. And yes, it is a seriously crappy track. The idea is to go out there and have fun. Be careful of your shifting and don't get too excited. There have been more than a couple people that have done a 3-2 shift instead of a 3-4 with not-so-good results. Enjoy yourself!

Chris