Horn sounds weak

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Maybe only one is sounding... retest sounding with a helper so that you can determine if only one is working...then, check connections and try again.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
yep, I have installed 2 and they both did that. You don't need a horn any way, your car is faster than the speed of sound w/Paxton.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've heard after a Paxton install the horn can/should be relocated to allevate this problem.
Mine is fairly loud so I've really never looked to see if/where they moved it...

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After the Paxton is installed, the intercooler reservoir sits up against the horns. By change the horn bracket to a Gen II bracket (retaining the original horns). This corrected the same problem for me.

DB

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance remounted the horn when they did the Paxton install. If you get in a bind, have your installer, or yourself contact Dan Cragin for advice, and part #.

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't like the standard "DODGE horn sound" So I replaced them with the Hella Supertone horns from Griot for my 03'SRT & 95'RT . They sound much much better (louder and more distinctive.) $59; identical size and mounting points to OEM.
Bob :usa:

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is going to sound really strange but I had a very similar problem and the problem and solution seemed to weird to share. Your symptoms sound very similar to mine with a few exceptions. Upon starting in the morning I could here the chirp/whine/rattle, but it sounded like it was coming from the passenger side exhaust area. It would last until I got out of my driveway and started down the street and then it would stop. It seemed that once the car warmed up it away. It never did it when I started the car up in the afternoon even if it had been sitting all day, so I thought that it had to be related to something only when cold (overnight cold) but I did not know what. After starting up in the morning, while I heard the chirp/whine/rattle, I tried to determine if it was an engine rev issue or rolling chassis issue, but it seemed to be neither.

My best theory was that it was the exhaust rattling against something on the seal cover and after it heated up and expanded, it no longer made contact. It sounded good enough to take the seal panel off and tighten things up. That did not solve the noise. My engine has always run a little rough and pops when I first stat up, so it did not seem to be the engine at all. I gave up and ignored it for about 6 weeks or so, but it did every morning.

Then one morning I turned the key and I heard the chirp/whine/rattle and I had not yet started the engine. Hmmmm, I immediately got out to find the source, but it stopped. It had to be an electrical problem, fuel pump, intercooler water pump The next day the chirp/whine/rattle was a little louder so I got out, popped the hood and when I pressed on the plastic air intake plenum, I could change the tone of the noise, Hmmmm. Nothing for the next several days. Then one morning the noise started and did not stop. I probed around and tracked it down to an area in front of the front passenger wheel. The water pump for the intercooler. Sounds reasonable. I popped the headlight panel off felt around. I was the horn making a weak honk/rattle whine?????? I reached in the car and pressed the steering wheel horn and no sound. After a bit the noise stopped. I pressed the horn and now it made the same noise. That was it, the horns were somehow making an anemic sound. Really bizarre. I disconnected the horns and that took care of it. I have not got a clue why it would do this. Tomorrow night I am getting the car ready for Viper day so while I have the car up in the air, I will check it out.

There have been reports of a week horn after a Paxton install, which I did experience but the horn going off on its own???. I ordered the horns from Griot’s so hopefully I’ll get it figured out. Still make no sense to me but it was definitely the horn going off and making a weird noise. So anyway my suggestion would be to sound your horn and see if it sounds like the noise you have been hearing. I thought about posting this but it though it too strange, but maybe you have the same problem. ???????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96