Horsepower Challenge - Viper vs. Corvette, Sep 19, 09

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This year the “Horsepower Challenge” will be on September 19, 2009 in Richmond, VA. The event will be part of the “Christmas in September” event at the Children’s Hospital, 2904 Brook Road, Richmond, VA. This is a charity event for the Children’s Miracle Network. The event typically yields more than $20,000 in money and toys for the children. Santa Claus even makes rounds in the hospital for the children too sick to come out and see the cars. There will also be a live band.

The Viper Club of America and the Corvette Club of Richmond have challenged each other to see which club can get the most total horsepower to the event. The losing club president will present an award to the winning club president.

Last year the Corvette Club of Richmond had a little over 50 Corvettes participate to our approximately 20 Vipers. While we had more horsepower per car we couldn't overcome the large number of Corvette present so they ended up taking the award for the most horsepower. We cannot let them do this two years in a row.

Be sure to bring your dyno slip if you’ve modified your Viper. Each club will use the published horsepower or a dyno slip with a 15% allowance for driveline loss to determine how much horsepower they have. The supercharged and twin turbo Vipers sure help with the horsepower totals!

We will also have five trophies exclusively for VCA members. The show will be a judged event and there will be nice trophy given to the Viper judged best for each of the four generations of Vipers. The Corvette club will judge our Vipers and we will judge the Corvettes. In addition there will be a “King of the Hill” trophy for the Viper with the most horsepower. Be sure to bring a fire extinguisher in order to get bonus points during the judging.

I’ll try to organize some cruises to the hospital. I’ll post additional details as the event approaches.

Other regions are welcome.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good and important event. Howard does a great job with it. As many folks as we can muster should try to make this. It is such a good cause.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, if you bring all 3 you can that's 1500!

Had not thought about it but you are about right

09-600
06-510 (maybe a hair higher with tweaks)
92-450-Bob had Team Viper do some stuff with headers/exhaust

So maybe 1560

If I could bring CTS-V I could add 575 but since it has ZR-1 Motor I suspect our friends would take credit.:)

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In the past for admission we requested that you bring an unwrapped toy for a child. We’ve changed the admission for this year. We’re requesting a $15 donation to the Children’s Miracle Network and two cans of food which will be given to the local food bank.

I’ve ordered the five trophies and will pick them up on August 27. I’ll post some pictures of them. They are 30 – 32 inch tall.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have some Viper memorabilia be sure to bring it with you to create a display. Extra points will be awarded for a display in the judged part of the event. If your Viper has been in a magazine before bring a copy to show it off.

Also be sure to bring a fire extinguisher and have it visible for an extra five points.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also be sure to bring a fire extinguisher and have it visible for an extra five points.[/quote]

That is the silliest thing I ever heard of.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also be sure to bring a fire extinguisher and have it visible for an extra five points.

That is the silliest thing I ever heard of.

Terry,

Extra points are often awarded for having a fire extinguisher at car shows. There will be muscle cars and street rods at the event and should one of them catch fire it would be good to have lots of fire extinguishers available. I keep one in both my Viper and 39 Chevy just in case. Better safe than sorry. I should put one in my daily drivers.

BTW do you have copies of the magazines that covered Bob Lutz’ car? They would make a great display.

Howard

Last edited:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extinguishers are no doubt a good thing to have and I know shows do this, it just seems silly to get points for it in a HP challenge.

No recent articles that I know of on Lutz 00002. (other than old interviews with him where he talks about the car) I have had inquiries since buying it , but have not participated as yet.

The closet I come is a small blurb in latest Viper mag on my garage showing the 06 and 09.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Extinguishers are no doubt a good thing to have and I know shows do this, it just seems silly to get points for it in a HP challenge.

Terry,

The points are for the judged portion of the event not the horsepower challenge part.

Sorry I wasn’t clear on that.

Howard

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll likely be working that day....but I'd love to come out and add my puny 400 horses... Umm, I'd sorta like to have a look at that special '92 that V-drummer squirrled away. If he can be talked into bringing it, I'd be more likely to take a day off.... :smirk:

= J

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll likely be working that day....but I'd love to come out and add my puny 400 horses... Umm, I'd sorta like to have a look at that special '92 that V-drummer squirrled away. If he can be talked into bringing it, I'd be more likely to take a day off.... :smirk:

= J

What do you mean “puny 400 HP?” Your 400 HP is equal to about two of the 70’s era Corvettes and is more than the C5 Corvettes and about equal to the C6 Corvettes. The Corvette Club of Richmond will have about 50 Corvettes at the event so we need all the Vipers we can get.

I hope Terry brings Lutz’ Viper. I’ve still not seen it. I went to the River City Dinner Cruise-in in Richmond a few weeks back and as soon as I pulled in several of the guys said two Vipers had left about five minutes before we arrived. Terry lives close to the Dinner so I bet it was his brood of Vipers I missed.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was kidding with that puny 400 hp comment... Sarcasm doesn't carry well on-line. Haha.... I'll try to come down. Sounds like fun for a good cause.

ViperPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be able to make the event. I haven't been to Richmond before, I might make a weekend trip out of it. (I'll leave the Vette at home)

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Below is a picture of the first place judged Viper by generation.
Judged_trophies_by_generation.jpg

This is a close up of the first place judged generation 1 Viper. The other three generations look the same.
Judged_trophy_Gen_1.jpg

This is the "King of the Hill" trophy for the Viper with the most horsepower.
King_of_the_Hill.jpg

This is a close up of the "King of the Hill" trophy.
King_of_the_Hill_close_up.jpg

In addition to these Viper only awards there will be Top 25, Club Participation, and Director's Choice. A dash plaque will be given to the first 100 cars that register.

We will have live music by Little Rock this year.

There will also be Children's Pedal Car Division this year. If you know anyone into pedal cars be sure to let them know about it.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard,

Email me all the details so I can send it out to Membership. I plan on coming down again this year. Perhaps we can get a Caravan to come down from the North again.