Horsepower Challenge - Viper vs. Corvette, Sep 20, 08

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We’re going to have a “Horsepower Challenge” again this year in Richmond, VA. The event will be part of the “Christmas in September” event at the Children’s Hospital, 2904 Brook Road, Richmond, VA on September 20, 2008. This is a charity event for the Children’s Miracle Network. Last year’s “Christmas in September” yielded more than $25,000 in money and toys for the children. Santa Claus even makes rounds in the hospital for the children too sick to come out and see the cars.

The Viper Club of America and the Corvette Club of Richmond have challenged each other to see which club can get the most total horsepower to the event. The losing club president will present an award to the winning club president.

Last year we beat the Corvette Club of Virginia which is the smaller of the two Corvette Clubs in Richmond. This year we’re challenging the Corvette Club of Richmond which has about 350 members. We’ll need a large turn out of Vipers in order to win this year.

Be sure to bring your dyno slip if you’ve modified your Viper. Each club will use the published horsepower or a dyno slip with a 15% allowance for driveline loss to determine how much horsepower they have.

We will also have four awards exclusively for VCA members. The show will be a judged event and there will be first, second and third place trophies for the best Vipers. The Corvette club will judge our Vipers and we will judge the Corvettes. In addition there will be a “King of the Hill” trophy for the Viper with the most horsepower. At the pig roast I overheard someone talking about a 1,000 plus horsepower Viper that might make the event. The Vipers will also be eligible for the other awards given as part of the overall event.

The entrance fee for the event is an unwrapped toy for a child. If you want to make an additional donation, make a check out to Children’s Miracle Network.

I’ll try to organize some cruises to the hospital. I’ll post additional details as the event approaches.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Howard - arrgghhhh. At the pig roast I told you I would have both of my cars there. But when I got home I was informed that I would be in Ohio that weekend. Bad timing by my wife but family first...I guess.

I think my local Viper tech will trailer the Venom 1000 to your event. Still trying to get that locked up.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

I went to a local cruise-in Friday night and the Corvette Club of Richmond showed up in force. They have a good club with lots of activities and an interest in charity events.

They must have had 50 Corvettes there. My Viper was all alone among the Corvettes. I was promoting the Horsepower Challenge with some of their members. One of the fellows with a stock C-5 was joking that it would take two C-5s to equal one Viper. I didn’t have to heart to tell him that they would need four C-5s to equal your Venom 1000.

I hope there is some way you can get your Venom 1000 to the event. Since Mike has offered to bring it down for you, I could keep an eye on Mike for you.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

I went to a local cruise-in Friday night and the Corvette Club of Richmond showed up in force. They have a good club with lots of activities and an interest in charity events.

They must have had 50 Corvettes there. My Viper was all alone among the Corvettes. I was promoting the Horsepower Challenge with some of their members. One of the fellows with a stock C-5 was joking that it would take two C-5s to equal one Viper. I didn’t have to heart to tell him that they would need four C-5s to equal your Venom 1000.

I hope there is some way you can get your Venom 1000 to the event. Since Mike has offered to bring it down for you, I could keep an eye on Mike for you.

I'll make sure it shows up one way or the other. I was just kidding Mike, I have no doubt he would be responsible. If my Vipertech can't get it there, I'll figure out something.

Between you, Mike, and Bernie, can you guys can find some place safe to store it for a week or two. What I might be able to do is drive it down the weekend prior. Then one of you can drive it to the event and I'll return for it sometime the week after.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I could make room in my garage for it...just let me know so I can do some cleaning to do so...plenty of space for the Viper, just need to make enough for two (besides, that would make for some great pics!).

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Below are some photos of the tropies for the Horsepower Challenge. They range in height from 34 inches to 30 inches. The top trophy is the "King of the Hill" on the left. The other three tropies are for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place Viper in the judged part of the event.

Horsepower_Challenge_2008.JPG

Horsepower_Challenge_2008_King_of_the_Hill.JPG

Horsepower_Challenge_2008_First_Place.JPG

Chris23120

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will probably bring my viper to this event, unless i decide to go to the OCC event in NY. Or i could just have a big viper weekend and do both!

Chris

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BOTH! We need all the help we can get to beat the vette guys. We may have the HP, but they have the numbers (and they hate Vipers around here). Talk about a blow to their over-inflated egos! Besides, you're right around the corner!

Chris23120

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i am going to hit both this even and the OCC one the next day. I'm bringing my car with the ROE, and I am trying to get Lee (LpDesroushe) to bring his 98 since he is coming to Richmond to go up the the OCC event with me. I'm going to get my car on the dyno in the next week or so and im confident it will get upper 500's to low 600 rhp. I think Lee's car pulls 430rhp.

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ok, i am going to hit both this even and the OCC one the next day. I'm bringing my car with the ROE, and I am trying to get Lee (LpDesroushe) to bring his 98 since he is coming to Richmond to go up the the OCC event with me. I'm going to get my car on the dyno in the next week or so and im confident it will get upper 500's to low 600 rhp. I think Lee's car pulls 430rhp.

If my new engine mounts and transmission mount get here in time I will have my viper up there, otherwise I will have to drive the ****** up there.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm organizing a caravan from NOVA. Anyone who is attending out of NOVA and MD please respond so that we can coordinate a departure point.

Howard - what time are we supposed to show up?

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm organizing a caravan from NOVA. Anyone who is attending out of NOVA and MD please respond so that we can coordinate a departure point.

Dan,

Below is some additional information about the event.

Location: Children's Hospital of Richmond, 2924 Brook Rd., Richmond, VA23220

Agenda:
- Viper Club of America vs. Corvette Club of Richmond "Horsepower Challenge" to see which club can get the most horsepower to the event (bring your dyno slip if you've modified your Viper for a 15% driveline loss)

- "King of the Hill" Trophy for highest horsepower Viper, top three judged Vipers also compete for other awards

- "Christmas in September" charity event for Children's Miracle Network with a Santa Claus

Entry Fee: An unwrapped toy for a child

Schedule: Arrive 10:00 am – 12:00 pm Judging: 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm

Award Ceremony: 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm

Directions: If arriving from north I-95 take exit 78 toward Boulevard – go 0.2 miles turn left onto VA-161/N Boulevard – go 0.1 mile turn right onto Brookland Parkway – go 0.8 miles – turn right onto Brook Rd. – go 0.1 mile - arrive at Children's Hospital

Directions: If arriving from south I-95 – take exit 78 toward Hermitage Rd. – go 0.1 mile turn right onto Hermitage Rd. – go 0.2 miles turn right onto Brookland – go 0.8 miles turn right onto Brook Rd. – go 0.1 mile – arrive at Children's Hospital

Cruise to Richmond: contact Howard Burnette for information about cruises from Roanoke, Tidewater. Northern VA and MD.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Count me in....heading out from the NORVA area! :usa:

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ill be there and would really like to ride down with some other vipers. I'm in the warrenton area and can meet up on 95 near fredricksburg if others are willing to meet up. Ill even try to get my car dynoed this weekend if at all possible. Not much done other than full exhaust tube and filters so maybe it'll help a little. Let me know about meeting up at [email protected]
Thanks

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ill be there and would really like to ride down with some other vipers. I'm in the warrenton area and can meet up on 95 near fredricksburg if others are willing to meet up. Ill even try to get my car dynoed this weekend if at all possible. Not much done other than full exhaust tube and filters so maybe it'll help a little. Let me know about meeting up at [email protected]
Thanks

If Greg - Fast Too - is coming from Linden, you two should meet up with the NOVA group along about Rt 17 and I-95. I'm still trying to get a NOVA caravan organized but so far no one has jumped in. More will probaly chime in as the date gets nearer. If not, I'll have some Vette-head jump in here to talk smack and get the Viper nation properly motivated.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg - does your Alabama trip mean you'll miss the Horsepower Challenge? It's not easy to replace 700 HP.
Not sure yet, It looks like I have to be back in AL on the 22nd for the long haul. I'm coming home tomorrow to start winterizing the house in VA. Got a lot of loose ends to take care of in a short period. If I can be there on the 20th for the event, I'll show.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tips for the judged portion of the Horsepower Challenge:
  • You will get an extra 5 points for a fire extinguisher.
  • You can earn extra points for a display to go along with your car (e.g., display board, model Viper, magazine articles, etc.).
  • This is a rain or shine event and you will not be penalized for day of event dust.
  • Areas judged include paint, body gaps, interior, engine bay, trunk and undercarriage.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howard, I'm organizing the group driving up from Tidewater. So far we may have 6 or 7. Also, I can't find the Dyno sheet from last years meet, do you still have those number on file?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone needs a dyno graph, I have a vast database of various levels of performance from past dyno days. Let me know what you need and I can pull the file.

OP
OP
H

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Howard, I'm organizing the group driving up from Tidewater. So far we may have 6 or 7. Also, I can't find the Dyno sheet from last years meet, do you still have those number on file?

Sorry but I don't have the dyno sheets from last year. Perhaps John has a copy.