Horsepower Difficulties? LONG!

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the June 2001 issue of Car and Driver is an article by Csere Csaba. It begins about the difficulties of getting perfect testing conditions for test drives and such and their hand in uncovering the fact that the 2001 Mazda Miata was not making the horsepower it advertised (as did the Mustang Cobra of 1999). It goes on to point out the EXTREME scrutiny the Tuners are under from the magazine (and us) when it comes to horsepower claims. On this board, a number of tuners have come under fire when an owner, after driving his modified car for a period of time, fails to make the claimed horsepower. It is not unreasonable to be disappointed when this happens,and as the article points out, it does happen. Steve Saleen was used as an example. A number of things can alter horsepower numbers at any given time and Tuners seem to be getting verbally trounced before getting a chance to even check/verify any problems. They are machines, therefore can malfunction,especially when modified. I believe the Tuners should continue to be scrutinized - we give them gobs of money and leave our beloved vehicles in their care, but numbers don't always tell the whole story. Just because a car fails to post the "correct" numbers, doesn't mean that the Tuner is selling bogus packages - as previous threads on this board insinuate. Sorry for the rant, but that article got me thinking about how most of the Tuners I have dealt with (and I've dealt with many of the more known ones) are selling quality products with every intention of performing as advertised. When occasionally they fail to work, it seems we tend to attack the Tuner instead of thinking logically of what the problem may be first.

I feel better now. Pick up the article if you get a chance. It beats the typical rambling articles they and some others print.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96