horsepower increase for 2015 Viper

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was at a Hooked on driving event Saturday at Palm Beach Speedway...No limits on speed and passing allowed.About 200 cars,all kinds of high end stuff,the two new Turbo S ruled the day on the the round a round track.Out of all the cars,Not one Viper,tryed to get some friends w/Gen.5 to go,no dice...To bad,I would have like to see the Gen 5 try to hang with the Turbo Ss.

One thing for sure,the people(spectators) there would have would definitely been checking out a new Viper if one showed...

I would love to see a head to head with a Turbo S and any G5 Viper on a circuit track. I don't think one has been done yet.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess no z/28's showed either. Not even sure to be worried about a G5 vs Turbo S compare on the track as the S has to beat the Camaro first.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess no z/28's showed either. Not even sure to be worried about a G5 vs Turbo S compare on the track as the S has to beat the Camaro first.

Yea, this. I think the Turbo S is a benchmark to hit in straight line, & that's a tough benchmark to reach, let alone beat. On a circuit I wouldn't be concerned about the Porsche or the GT-R, the Z/28 is another story.

Just a sign of how the car world has changed, the Z/28 is slow in a drag race, but will spank world-class on a road course - imagine saying that like 10 yrs ago.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the track, after you get to a certain level, things like the driver, downforce, tires, etc. make a huge difference--not just the OEM aspects of the car. Also, I have seen plenty of very fast GTRs on the roadcourses. Even 9114s cars have been very fast. For a real comparison, you really need OEM and a pro in both cars after some practice in both cars.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see a head to head with a Turbo S and any G5 Viper on a circuit track. I don't think one has been done yet.
I'll be doing a private P-day next month at Mont Tremblant with 25 Porsche club racers and instructors. They mostly seem to favor the 911 GT3/RS for the track, but I recall a couple of turbo variants there in the past also. If there's an TS there I'll lift off the throttle long enough to get it on in-car video for you for a bit :rolaugh: Then again, I might not have to lift much at all as these are all local guys that practically live at that track, and are as hard-core as they come. I'm just an infrequent visitor from another province that gets invited because even they enjoy being on track with something different for a change!

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What? that makes no sense, I thought it was only the HP figures that mattered....

Seriously, of course you are right, but if you do enough track days, you ultimately can get sessions with good drivers on different cars, with relatively speaking the same mods (tires/brake pads) and it becomes very clear either who has the better car or the better driver.

In my experience, the good Porsche drivers buy either 911 2S or the GT3's, not the turbo's or 4S. Deep down, they will tell you they call the turbo guys posers. The really good vette drivers get the Z06's, not the ZR1's and deep down will call the ZR1 guys posers. Lastly, the GTR drivers, well I have not met a good driver yet that has kept the car more than a year (was too boring for them and did not require their skills) but the car is incredible and amazing at making poor drivers feel like they are good. Have yet to meet a good driver of a Lambo or R8 yet and thus their cars get eaten up on the track. Again, I think more of a statement of the driver vs the car.

And to be completely honest, the Viper owners have a reputation of talking about HP figures and racing down the straights, but no skill at turning and thus resulting in wrecked cars or minimum going off track. I can't tell you how many times of showing up and people getting nervous there will be a problem, purely by the reputation of the car. Then you get the comment, "oh, you can actually drive it. Seen too many who can't..."

In some respects, you see the same representation on the forums. Guys asking for more HP but yet don't know how to even use what they have. Maybe just a different make-up of people, but true Porsche guys get excited about better handling, braking, less weight, Not HP. And those particular guys seem to really wheel those cars around the track.

On the track, after you get to a certain level, things like the driver, downforce, tires, etc. make a huge difference--not just the OEM aspects of the car. Also, I have seen plenty of very fast GTRs on the roadcourses. Even 9114s cars have been very fast. For a real comparison, you really need OEM and a pro in both cars after some practice in both cars.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed, and I have the utmost respect for 911 track rats. They've learned car control coming up through the PCA driver ed program and know their stuff. Even a 911 racer and team owner I know joined the local PCA club and had to go through their program and get signed off by the chief instructor. I did the same program through PCA in an MR2 Turbo (by being a member of BMW-CCA). No BS talking with those guys because they know all about going fast with less power, and kicking high power and big ego ass. There's nothing I enjoy more than dicing it up with a well-driven 911 GT3 on track.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put sticky tires on a Turbo S,it will be close run with a TA,for sure...Their was a new Z 28 their,it will hang in the corners,but the the Turbo S just walks away from the new Z28s on the straights and the Z can not catch it after that.But,the new Zs are are nice car for cheap money...

Saturday,8/23, Sebring Raceway Fl,Hooked on Driving ,some bring a new TA and well go play....

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put sticky tires on a Turbo S,it will be close run with a TA,for sure...Their was a new Z 28 their,it will hang in the corners,but the the Turbo S just walks away from the new Z28s on the straights and the Z can not catch it after that.But,the new Zs are are nice car for cheap money...

Saturday,8/23, Sebring Raceway Fl,Hooked on Driving ,some bring a new TA and well go play....

Do you an in-car video camera so you can post your exploits?

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FLL-B/W-GTS ,you ,are very bad,with,,,putting,commas where,they,dont,,,belong,,,,,,,,,. ;)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be doing a private P-day next month at Mont Tremblant with 25 Porsche club racers and instructors. They mostly seem to favor the 911 GT3/RS for the track, but I recall a couple of turbo variants there in the past also. If there's an TS there I'll lift off the throttle long enough to get it on in-car video for you for a bit :rolaugh: Then again, I might not have to lift much at all as these are all local guys that practically live at that track, and are as hard-core as they come. I'm just an infrequent visitor from another province that gets invited because even they enjoy being on track with something different for a change!

LOL BH. That will be nice to see on video. I guess we will soon see some real world footage of the two beasts to add to the discussion. :)