Hot water spit from under dash...???

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I took my uncle for a ride in my 98' GTS the other day. I took it easy until the car was warm, then I hit it in first gear. All of a sudden, my uncle is screaming fire and there is what looked like smoke coming from between his legs. I slammed the brakes and we bailed out of the car in the middle of the road. My uncle's leg was covered in about a cup of burning hot water (enough to soak his shoe). It was actually steam, not smoke. Not burning smell, but the windshield had condensation on the passenger side. The passenger floor was very damp, but not hot. I drove it home very slowly and let it air out the rest of the day. The next day I drove it 100+ spirited miles and not a problem.

It had rained a couple days before the incident, but I had the cabin area covered with a tarp (side windows leak and the very expensive cover I ordered 3+ weeks ago from theviperstore.com is still not here :mad:).

The only explanation I can think of is that water was pooled somewhere under the dash and when I took off, it splashed through the heater core and instantly heated to 212 degrees (steam)... It was just water, not coolant... No electrical burning smell... Doesn't make any sense... Any ideas.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open the hood. Look right in front of the passenger side windshield by the side of the car. Hoses there, those go to the heater core. There should be a foam seal in that area where the hoses go into the car. Check condition of that seal.

OP
OP
C

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the heater core leaked, wouldn't it leak coolant...? This was straight H2O. Also the heat and A/C still work fine. Heat was off when this happened and the temp selected was all the way cold. Drove it all weekend and no issues. This happened Friday morning.

Dave, I will check the seal. Even if water got in that way, how did it get hot enough to vaporize...?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your heaterbox/ core gets big time hot and thats why it was hot from hangin around in the heatercore box, may have a plugged drain for the evaporater core/ or what others have stated- somehow water is getting in your heater box..

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any water in contact with the hot heater core would get hot quickly and water makes hot vapor well below 212F. There is a difference between steam and hot vapor so unless you measured it you could have just had vapor. The valve (knob) may leak so your core could have been warm.

OP
OP
C

cposk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't measure it but my uncle's foot was bright red for the rest of the day. Makes sense - water leaks in and some is sitting in the heatercore absorbing heat. When I gas it, the water splashes up/out, some of the water vaporizes when it hits the upper part of the core. The rest of the water that didn't vaporize is still very hot which burns my uncles foot.

Lesson learned - Don't leave the Viper in the rain and keep a fire extinguisher in the car. Horrible feeling to think your car is on fire and you have no way to stop it...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't measure it but my uncle's foot was bright red for the rest of the day. Makes sense - water leaks in and some is sitting in the heatercore absorbing heat. When I gas it, the water splashes up/out, some of the water vaporizes when it hits the upper part of the core. The rest of the water that didn't vaporize is still very hot which burns my uncles foot.

Lesson learned - Don't leave the Viper in the rain and keep a fire extinguisher in the car. Horrible feeling to think your car is on fire and you have no way to stop it...

Do you have vented cowl? If so, I can see how water can make it's way through the vented cowl and onto the top of the heater core possibly penetrating the foam seal if the seal is not completely intact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfal0003