How DCX is killing the Viper!

kmg99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When is everybody going to wake up and realize that DCX has completely undermined the Viper by introducing the Ram trucks with Viper engines! The latest abomination is too much to handle...a quad cab automatic truck with the Viper engine.

It is obvious that DCX does not plan to further develop the Viper and is willing to paste the Viper engine in any vehicle it will fit.

One might ask, why has the Viper stood still while the SRT team launches two new trucks, and two cars (Crossfire and Magnum)? Easy answer, DCX is all about selling a few extra volume vehicles and not further investing in the Viper.

Lets face the facts:

1. Trucks make money. Limited volume image vehicles do not.
2. The people who can make key product decisions and are passionate about the Viper have departed DCX. Many of them were key in developing the new Ford GT!
3. SRT is focused on the volume car and truck lines.

If you want a top performance DCX vehicle in the future it will have a three pointed star and the AMG badge on it. Plain and simple, the crowd in Germany is happy to build the stupid americans a Dodge truck that is fast, but they know we "really want" a Mercedes automobile!

The truth hurts!!!

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ill get a silver one and call it a day. i would buy any car with a viper engine in it. even got a s2000 because it looks like a baby srt10.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC is putting the Viper V10 in other vehicles, to spread out the development costs. This way when it comes time to develop a new motor for the Viper (can you say Hemi V10) it will be much easier to make a business case for it.
I had the chance to drive the Ram V10 in Dallas. That was a sweet truck, and in no way diminishes the appeal of a Viper.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not too worried about the Ram V10 beating me on the track, but I am concerned about not being able to buy a crate engine to use when one quits. I'm glad DCX is producing more Viper engines. There are better things to be paranoid about.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take on it is that by using the Viper engine on a number of lines they are able to spread cost and, in fact might very well help further future engine development. I have Ram SRT but - there will be only one Viper..and the Viper is king.

I think one of the main problems is that someone in their infinite wisdom decided to give the Ram the same moniker as the Viper, thus diluting some of the name WOW factor. I think that is probably the root cause of a lot of the angst.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that it's a great move to add the Viper's V10 to the RAM truck.
In fact, spreading the V10's development cost and making a bigger market for the V-10 engine could actually help keep the Viper in production longer. :2tu:

If the Viper's V-10 is just used in one vehicle, you have to justify that expense for that one car, and all of it's custom components. With the only reason for the Viper's production being that it's a halo car for Dodge.

The SRT-Ram has probably gotten as much publicity for Dodge as the Viper has, and it has set their trucks up at a higher level as well.

Frankly, if I was looking for a truck/SUV, I would MUCH rather have a 4-seat, 500HP, RAM pickup than spend the same amount on a V6 Porsche Cayenne! :eek: :rolleyes:

You are right about Daimler wanting to sell Mercedes cars disguised as Dodge and Chrysler cars, as the Crossfire and 300C attest to. But the Viper and it's V-10 are standing out there in the wind alone. And if D/C had their way you would probably see the Dodge V10 replaced with Mercedes' twin turbo V12, and a $120K+ Viper in the showrooms. :eek:

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

I'm on my third new Viper; the latest of which is a very early (32nd Silver of first batch) Silver SRT-10. I now have almost 11K miles on the ODO. I am ready to trade in in 05'.

The only Viper offering that remotely interests me is the "Copperhead" SRT-10. The problem is that I feel that the "Copper" color won't be near as good as the Prowler "Mandarine Orange Metallic" that I was hoping for, and, I feel that SRT should definitely be offering some PERFORMANCE enhancements instead of the often "questionable" interior color limited editions.

Why can't D/C use a color that is proven to be awesome on the Prowler; it is also a color they know they won't have paint problems with like my '98 RT-10 had.

Why won't D/C SHOW US SOME GOOD PICS OF THE copperhead inside and out? Hell, it's only 85plus thousand dollars.

In my opinion, we should be given options: like Rear-End Gears, K&N Intake, Wheels, or engine upgrades with factory warranty. SRT/D/C already knows how to do this, and it's not that difficult to offer these choices on what used to be a "Built For (your name here)" hand-made vehicle that used to take at least 6 months to get.

If you don't like the options, you don't have to buy them! If it takes a little longer to get, so be it.

My 2cents.

Thanks,

Jim W.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We often have opinions that vary about Vipers, and this is true to course with any vehicle that elicts passion - and I firmly believe Snake owners are the most passionate of any sutomobile owners in the World. I find myself having a bit of trouble with the concern about the Viper Truck diluting the Viper Car, when the majority of the new Quad Cab orders we have taken are going to Viper Car owners. The bulk of these owners want to pull their Viper around with the SRT-10 Ram, and I can't , honestly , think of a cooler marriage. We are primarily a truck store ( who woulda guess with us just across the street from a huge ole Kneebrasky Cornfield ) and seldom do you see crossover customers. Folks that want trucks, buy trucks, and often their primary vehicles are more trucklike ( SUVs, Minivans, etc.). This type of buyer will not dilute a Viper sale or the mystique, as they often will buy only a truck and they never considered a Snake. The buyers of the Reg. Cab, were virtually all new buyers, and their consensus, was they loved the Viper, but for what they enjoyed a truck was just their bag. Like Sonny, the more manufacturing of various parts, the better the chance of keeping costs in line,and in his case, better chance for racers to get engines, etc. I do not think that Corvette was diluted years ago when folks found out they could get a Camaro/Firebird with the Vette motor. In the same vein, I think brand awareness,and pride in the unique car we all love, will keep the marque in front of the folks at DC that count. The name Viper will always be associated with our machine, and if a few other vehicles trickle out with a Viper inspired seat ( SRT-4 ), Viper engine ( SRT-10 Ram ), I think it only bears fruit that Dodge realizes the extreme importance the Snake embodies in marketing the entire line.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree with most of the above comments, I don't think a Viper powered truck hurts anything what so ever. If anything it helps spread costs and may prolong the Vipers run.

The future of the Viper......here's my .02 worth.

I would guess that the Viper program is not a huge (truck like) money maker for Dodge.

So.....

If the new Coupe is not an UNDISPUTABLE HOME RUN for Dodge, a home run as in a total sell out for a couple years running, which I do expect the first run to sell out. But if sales of the Coupe are weak, that alone would be my biggest concern that might cause Dodge to pull the plug on the Viper line.

And let's face it, the Coupe that was rolled out at VOI 8 was a bomb based on all the bashing it took here on this web site.

However the GTS-R is a sure bet for years of sell out production! :2tu:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am constantly amazed why folks think DC wants to pull the plug on the Viper. This vehicle epitomizes the Dodge line, and carries huge name recognition in Europe and abroad. It has never been a money maker,but those at the Corporate level see the extreme value in having this supreme marque automobile as the lead for Dodge. Look at how many vehicles have Viper clues in their design, and the buyers of the Snake are revered by a Corporation, like no other owner. If you doubt that last statement, please name another Automobile Establishment that spends millions to throw a party for a select few, that they understand will influence many others to buy Dodge products. The Coupe was unveiled , before it was done to give us a sneak peak and to gauge our reaction. The word concept fell on some deaf ears, but , wow, what other manufacturer is so concerned and aware to bring out a vehicle giving a devoted few the semi finished product to taste, touch and view? It wasn't the final product,but they value our thoughts and when it is finally unveiled next year, I guarantee the multitudes will be pleased - everyone is aware that it can never please all.
The Coupe will be an unqualified success, as there are surprises coming from a new Marketing and Engineering staff in the SRT fold that will go down in history as the same type of folks as developed cars in the 60s. I am astounded at how well they are listening, but like all good things in life, the end result must be somewhat guarded to build the excitement. Patience will be a virtue, and the things to come in the next few years will blow everyone's socks off. Go down to your local Dealer and view a 300C , a Magnum RT, a Jeep Hemi, etc. and tell me truthfully you can think of another Manufacturer more willing to build stimulating , exciting , avant garde vehicles. The time is nigh, and DC will electrocute many of you in the next year, just take the evidence and recognize how well they respect you, and the fun toys are just around the corner......

Magnum SRT-8
300C SRT-8
Jeep SRT-8
New SRT-4 ( few years out )
Viper Coupe
Charger RT 6.1 Hemi
Crossfire SRT-6
SRT-10 Ram
SRT-10 Quad Cab

and it just keeps coming. Kill off the Viper,never, just look what the Snake has spawned!!!

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am constantly amazed why folks think DC wants to pull the plug on the Viper.
I for one hope they never pull the plug on the Viper project. I don't think any one thinks Dodge WANTS to, more like they are affraid they might CHOOSE to or NEED to. It makes one wonder when there are SRT's stacked up every where on lots that are not selling. Dealers calling other dealers and offering new 04's back of invoice. An SRT employee telling me at VOI 8 that they missed the mark with the SRT and were disapointed at it's acceptance. That makes one worry they might CHOOSE to.

Look at how many vehicles have Viper clues in their design

I think you meant cues, not clues. ;)

The Coupe was unveiled , before it was done to give us a sneak peak and to gauge our reaction. The word concept fell on some deaf ears

We all heard the word concept, BUT, I suspect they will never change that VOI 8 **** Coupe into the GTS-R. :shocked:

wow, what other manufacturer is so concerned and aware to bring out a vehicle giving a devoted few the semi finished product to taste, touch and view?

A huge step and complement that DC would do that, No question. But will they listen and turn the concept into the GTS-R, like everyone here who has commented suggested they do? Time will tell. :confused:

I am astounded at how well they are listening, but like all good things in life, the end result must be somewhat guarded to build the excitement.

Fingers crossed that they are listening, and they build the GTS-R like everyone here has requested. :laugh:

Kill off the Viper,never,

I sure hope not! But some assumed things like the Firebird and Camaro would be built forever. Heck, if I remember right, the Mustang almost got turned into the front wheel drive Probe until the masses stood up and spoke out.

Silver tounged snake charmer
Yep, you got that right. :D

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to worry ... that's like saying GM is killing the Corvette buy putting Corvette guts in the Caddy XLR ... if anything, it helps the Vette's costs.

'03 Vette C5 now, '05 or '06 SRT (can't decide) to my my next!

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After attending VOI#8 & Sitting in on tech sessions I don't think its in the works to stop Viper production! I drove a Viper truck there also. It's not a Viper, its still a truck, with a Viper Engine. Don't worry the coupe will be 550 to 600 HP! It will sell!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Good post Bill. I agree. It still amazes me how many folks see the glass as half empty.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good post Bill. I agree. It still amazes me how many folks see the glass as half empty. Viper_X

Don't be too amazed...it's usually the folks that don't own an SRT-10 that see the glass half empty anyway...so no big deal.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't be too amazed...it's usually the folks that don't own an SRT-10 that see the glass half empty anyway...so no big deal.

I figured someone would try to turn my posts into SRT bashing. Believe me, it's not bashing. I have grown to like the SRT.

First, I should have said that I am currently trying to sell one of my two Gen 2's to buy an SRT. And Bill P is who I have been working with if I go new. Plus I have driven an SRT, so I know the car a little bit already.

I have no problem with Bill or him saying what he believes. He is passionate about the Viper.

But what I saw in person at VOI 8 called a concept Coupe was a **** compared to the Red GTS-R that was sitting under the big screen in the corner. And if they build anything like that concept they showed us at VOI 8, I won't be buying one.

And again, my thoughts above are not wishes of what I want to happen, but worries about what could happen if sales of the new coupe follow the same fate of the SRT sales.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I figured someone would try to turn my posts into SRT bashing.
C'mon BadVenm...no one can turn your posts into something that they are not
and no one claimed you were SRT-10 "bashing" either. :rolleyes:

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is obvious that DCX does not plan to further develop the Viper and is willing to paste the Viper engine in any vehicle it will fit.

That's such a dumba$$ statement to make only a month or so after Dodge unveiled the concept coupe. Gee, I guess they did that to waste $, not because they might be interested in further development of the Viper :rolleyes:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VOI8, at the tech session, the conversation with the Dodge boys was looking at the fourth(yes, fourth)generation viper and future engine and styling changes. The car is not going away.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a top performance DCX vehicle in the future it will have a three pointed star and the AMG badge on it. Plain and simple, the crowd in Germany is happy to build the stupid americans a Dodge truck that is fast, but they know we "really want" a Mercedes automobile!

The truth hurts!!!

The truth really does hurt....The quality of my AMG CL 55 doesn't compare to that of my SRT-10. In order to be a performance car...it has to be on the road; something the CL 55 can't do with any frequency. The car is the worst I've ever owned, the service ***** and MBNA could care less. Maybe they should be looking to SRT for guidance on how to make a quality product and provide responsive service like they do to Viper owners.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think kmq99 needs to lay down the crack pipe and back away slowly from the keyboard.

Newsflash - DC wants to sell cars. If all of them end up with a V10 you got a problem with that?

The Viper runs 11's and the GTS3 will top 200mph, the SRT10 exceeds 190mph, and stops like an Enzo - all for under $100k... and you worry about a fast TRUCK being the end of Viper?

:rolleyes:

If we don't see a V10 Hemi I'll be surprised - it is a natural progression and it will be somethnig special. Give DC credit and stop being a whiny a$$ - if all customers thought like this - no car company would bother with this market. If you must have exclusivity - put your dollar down on an ME 4-12 and they'll build you something your neighbor don't have.

For under $100k - they already OVER-DELIVER so be grateful and encourage them - not accuse them of conspiracy to end Vipers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine