How did you get your Viper?

VIPER52USA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't gotten mine.... YET. But I have been saving for as long as I can remember... one day, I will have a 1997 blue and white GTS.

I'm taking donations

-cash accepted
-make checks payable to the "Brandon fund"

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
saved up for about 15 years straight. actually more like the last year and half but always had an account for it..:)

paid cash.

then flew out to woodhouse and drove it back to NJ.

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carried a picture of a viper(never the girl) in my wallet since I was old enough to have one(a wallet) and took a 0% cash advance on a credit card and financed the rest through JJ best banc Co.

kinda stupid I know but worth every red cent

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still saving for mine. I got to say that I honestly believe Joining the New England Region of the VCA has gotten me that much closer to ownership. I have met many great people and have opened a door to infinite advice and help once I get out of college and into the business world. What a great organization!

Nick

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stole it out of a local Dodge dealership. Change the emblems to a Honda s2000 and no one is the wiser!!!!!

TomH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Found it on Ebay, did some investigating and was able to contact the owner through another site. Pulled the cash out of a mutual fund that wasn't doing so great and paid cash for it, the fund recovered the money in 43 days, thank you US economy, isn't America great!

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, since you asked, I did the following...

1-sold my 55 Chevy 2dr hardtop red/white(frame up resto)$35K

2-sold my 67 camaro rs/ss royal plum/white stripes(time capsuled)original everything, with build sheet...$40K

Yes, I was a bowtie diehard, and now I wear the white hat. I am a Dodge guy..

I miss them classics, but, no regrets, I love my Vipers..

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
started with a 2003 Cobra from Bill Pemberton. Felt like I "settled" on the Cobra and in our occasional talks told him my Viper dream car. He told me one is coming in tomorrow, sapphire with stripes, 146 miles from a lady who leased it. Knowing Bill and his good word I told him to bring it down site unseen and take the Cobra back.

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In pieces, most of the body in one part, two boxes full of broken pieces where the back glass once was, and the right front suspension tied to the flatbed with a bungee cord.

Actually, just used a low interest credit card and repaired/purchased the parts over a year. TOO much $$ at one time to actually buy a running car.

OP
OP
E

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In pieces, most of the body in one part, two boxes full of broken pieces where the back glass once was, and the right front suspension tied to the flatbed with a bungee cord.

Actually, just used a low interest credit card and repaired/purchased the parts over a year. TOO much $$ at one time to actually buy a running car.

You bought it wrecked?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a '97 C5 when they first came out. As I wasn't ready to throw down the $$ for a Viper.
The next year I bought a '97 Prowler New for a couple grand over sticker--this is when they were going for $20k+ over sticker.
After I put a couple hundred miles on that Cruiser, I drove it to a Dodge Dealership that wanted to see it. They had a New Red GTS sitting on the floor.
I had to have it! Truely, HAD TO!

So I called a few dealers, found one that wanted my Prowler BAD! He gave me nearly $10k over sticker for it on trade and we swapped out!
I couldn't have been happier!! :2tu:

That was my first GTS, want to hear about my current one! :D

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper Classifieds and only 45 minutes from my house. Also financed thru JJBEST. I'd rather finance and have it today then save for years and hope to have it in the distant future.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper Classifieds and only 45 minutes from my house. Also financed thru JJBEST. I'd rather finance and have it today then save for years and hope to have it in the distant future.

I agree, finance it, get it as soon as you can! Enjoy it NOW!! :2tu:

You'll also have motivation to pay the loan off! Cause, if you don't, you won't have a Viper for long!! :p

OP
OP
E

Epro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree, finance it, get it as soon as you can! Enjoy it NOW!! :2tu:

You'll also have motivation to pay the loan off! Cause, if you don't, you won't have a Viper for long!! :p

And pay $2000 monthly? Not all of us have a 6 figure career.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My story is like BLUESNAKE357's (except without the nasty taint of Chevy!) - I saved since I saw the '89 concept then when I got close enough sold my numbers matched, fully restored '69 Charger R/T SE and my restored '68 Charger to get the Viper. No regrets about selling the classics to get the snake.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving past a Chevy dealership in my brand new black Z06 I had purchased from them a few months earlier when I saw the red GTS someone had just traded in. I knew instantly I was in the wrong car, and that Viper would be mine. It was a few days later. Took a big hit on the trade in of the Vette, never regretted it for a moment.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And pay $2000 monthly? Not all of us have a 6 figure career.
On $50k, I paid $10-15k down and financed the balance for a monthly of $650/mo.

If this is too steep, pick up a Gen 1 in the low 30's and your down payment and monthly will be less. Better to have a Gen 1 today then a Gen 2 or 3 way down the road. Continue saving and trade up when the funds are there. Again, I can't say enough about JJBEST...great company that understands the exotic car market.

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear ya Gerald. I plan to purchase my first one as soon as I find one I like for the right price. I plan to use the ole home equity loan for down payment and finance the rest. Cash? Save? Comeon! I'm married with kids. LOL ;)

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got mine by dumb luck. When I graduated from College in 2000 I started saving for a 2002 Camaro SS (after I paid the college bill off). Ordered that in Oct. of 2001, picked it up in May had it for 3 summers and discovered they made a "gray" or Graphite Metallic Viper... Sold the SS (25K) saved for a few months and found a man in FL (1200 miles south of me) who had his on Ebay, called him made him an offer. Flew down and drove her home with my Father. I owe about 20K on her... not to bad hopefully have paid off in 2 years

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been looking and have a fax'd quote from 1992 ($88k) for one of the first ones. Seemed a prohibitive markup for a $50k car.

Looked again in `96 but there was waiting list.

Tried to complete on a used `99 ACR, but the dealer was unapproachable.

Tried on a 2002 Final Edition, but dealer had a customer in hand.

Took a stab at offering ~12 E-Bay dealers our 1996 Harley FatBoy (18 mi) we had in storage in trade toward a 2004 SRT-10. Four dealers were very interested; one dealership owner wanted the Harley for himself. He had a 2004 red SRT w/604 miles with no hope of selling it in his very small community. It was an excellent deal. Delivery was problematic, but it arrived unscathed with an empty gas tank late on a Sunday afternoon.

Had it two weeks, and a VCA officer suggested that I contact Buhler Dodge for their Black Mamba. Talked with Darren Buhler; great person. Extremely excellent and very smooth deal with immediate delivery.

Paid for it with a stock sale.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three years ago I had sold some covered calls on a bunch of Philip Morris, MO, that I had been holding.
MO went up, my options were called away, and I had the money. Hey, I made some money on it. Always keep your eye on what you made, not what you could have made.
But anyway,
I bought a beat up 94 and paid to have it fixed up.
I bought the first Viper I had ever seen in person. I got a good deal for a well used 94 at that time.

Don't buy a Viper thinking you will fix it up. I did it and I now have a nice car. A nice car that I could have bought for less had I paid for a nice one to start with.

Buy it. I want a GTS. :)

Hey, MO went down after that. Had I kept the stock I would have less than I spent buying the Viper and fixing it up.
Not so bad as it turned out.