How do we Dent?

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hope I never find out the hard way, but I was wondering how our cars handle being hit by another door or something. Do they dent and scratch pretty easily, or would it take a good solid hit. Are they easily repaired, popped out?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We dont dent dip$hit, we crack. I'll explain the physics of non flexible composit resins vs sheetmetal if you like.

Ball Hanger

Jon

PS. That being said, the viper does very well at taking a door or impact about better then any porsche I have ever own, or any car for that matter.

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We dont dent dip$hit, we crack. I'll explain the physics of non flexible composit resins vs sheetmetal if you like
You're either best friends or best enemies. In any case, thanks for the info.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, nah me and inferno are cool, we just raz each other a bit. It is true though, the viper will not dent, it cracks. And even when/if you get a chip, it wont RUST !! so thats super cool, you just hit it with a little touch up paint, and no worries about a rust spot starting.

Jon

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We dont dent dip$hit, we crack. I'll explain the physics of non flexible composit resins vs sheetmetal if you like.

Ball Hanger

Jon

PS. That being said, the viper does very well at taking a door or impact about better then any porsche I have ever own, or any car for that matter.

lol...thanks for the clarification meat-whistle. Hmmm...flexible composite resins.....isn't that the stuff your new brokeback saddle thing is made up of? :p

p.s. you forgot the "e" on composite you gerbil garage. :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can brush up against a tire wall at a pretty good speed and not worry about body damage. Just a few scratches...ok, lotsa scratches but no body damage.

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the material the same as the Corvette's? I know theyre some type of composite platic material as well (similar to fiber glass if I'm correct). If they're not the same, what are the differences between the Viper's and Vette's?

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the material the same as the Corvette's? I know theyre some type of composite platic material as well (similar to fiber glass if I'm correct). If they're not the same, what are the differences between the Viper's and Vette's?

From what I have heard I believe both cars are made from basically the same stuff. Except the hood, I think the hood is carbon fibre, if not it should be for 20g's or whatever it is to replace them.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA.. INFERNO WITH THE MISS INFORMATION..

[******] ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT .. carbon fiber.. hahahah..

We are SIMILAR to the vette, but the vette IS fiber glass, we are composite resin, but we are NOT carbon fiber ANYWHERE. The hood is so expensive because it is ALL one piece, on a normal car, you bang up a fender, its 1/4 of the cars section at worste (aka 1/4 panels), but on our car, if you do damage to the hood, its basically 1/2 the car.

Anyways, our material is slightly better then the vettes, but can be repaired identically as fiber glass (aka the vette), but its not the same thing.

My work here is done.

Jon, the Inferno corrector. :)

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just hope we never park next to a car low enough to hit our side sills!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just hope we never park next to a car low enough to hit our side sills!

I've been there, dented three feet of mine going through a toll both.
They are aluminum and can be reshaped if not too bad, mine wasn't.
New ones? Forget about it the are like 3k...EACH! :eek:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, yep side sills are sheet metal, not alumn (alumn doesnt bend much either, it would crack too) But if you do dent one beyond belief, switch to after market Fiber glass ones which I think are readily available by some of our prefered vendors.

Jon

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
some [******] banged his door into mine intentionally about a month ago (some of you might remember the thread) , but it didnt do any body damage, you could see where the door flexed or gave to the impact of his door, just some minor scratches...

Saint_Spinner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good point, yep side sills are sheet metal, not alumn (alumn doesnt bend much either, it would crack too) But if you do dent one beyond belief, switch to after market Fiber glass ones which I think are readily available by some of our prefered vendors.

Jon

Why were they metal? Is it because of all the heat passing though them? Would the aftermarket fiber glass ones be able to take that amount of heat?

OP
OP
I

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA.. INFERNO WITH THE MISS INFORMATION..

[******] ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT .. carbon fiber.. hahahah..

We are SIMILAR to the vette, but the vette IS fiber glass, we are composite resin, but we are NOT carbon fiber ANYWHERE. The hood is so expensive because it is ALL one piece, on a normal car, you bang up a fender, its 1/4 of the cars section at worste (aka 1/4 panels), but on our car, if you do damage to the hood, its basically 1/2 the car.

Anyways, our material is slightly better then the vettes, but can be repaired identically as fiber glass (aka the vette), but its not the same thing.

My work here is done.

Jon, the Inferno corrector. :)

JON YOU ARE A KNOB :D ..... silly man...the vette isn't fiberglass anymore, hasn't been for a long time. They too are a composite with fiberglass and plastic,(hence the tupperware handle), in it. I know, I had an 04. The reason corvette stopped using fiberglass is because of the spider-cracking problem.

Correcting the Corrector....again :2tu:

p.s. what is worste? :confused:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon

Nope, and I will leave off the ILL friends dig. The sills are aluminum and are very bendable. Most aluminum grades have a yield point near half of their tensile point, and elongation in the 1 to 5% range. Therefore they "bend." You may be thinking more like aluminum castings which generally have lower elongation (1 - 2% and less).

I know ... damn engineers.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Inferno...you made me crack up brother.Don't you know the Viper is made out of cardboard?

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a bad week with a bad case of the flu. Reading this thread, I damn near coughed up my liver. LMAO

Gerbil garage?!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang