how do you buy from a private party?

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am nailing down the particulars for a viper and IF everything checks out, what is the process? Hand over the money, sign the title, hand write up a bill of sale and drive off? I know it is a noob question but I have only bought cars from the stealerships in the past!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought mine, I did it exactly as you described. Rode to NC with a couple family member's, testdrove car, handed owner a cashier's check, signed the title, signed two bills of sale his secretary had typed up (1 for me, 1 for him), drove back to GA. Partied ever since :headbang:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id make ya pay cash or go with me to the bank to cash a bank check. dont be surprised if he makes ya do that.

id definitely go there and do the transaction in person unless ya know a VCA guy here that can help ya that ya trust

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some states have a nice Bill of Sale that you can print out. Some will also require it to be signed in the presence of a notary. The SELLER is the one who's required to sign the title before it can change hands. You can put whoever's name you feel like in the "Buyer" section before you go to register it.

Carrying around $40k cash is never really a good idea. Give him a certified check, or if it's from a place like Capital One, he can call a ph# to make sure the funds are guaranteed. Or, like Plum said, you can both go to the bank so the seller can be sure the check is good, plus, banks usually have a notary onsite.

I bought mine site-unseen, so it was a little different.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some states have a nice Bill of Sale that you can print out. Some will also require it to be signed in the presence of a notary. The SELLER is the one who's required to sign the title before it can change hands. You can put whoever's name you feel like in the "Buyer" section before you go to register it.

Carrying around $40k cash is never really a good idea. Give him a certified check, or if it's from a place like Capital One, he can call a ph# to make sure the funds are guaranteed. Or, like Plum said, you can both go to the bank so the seller can be sure the check is good, plus, banks usually have a notary onsite.

I bought mine site-unseen, so it was a little different.

balzy man, balzy

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would just pay in actual cash. I guess he could try to jump me but I was a Kronk gym detroit boxer....so im kinda crazy myself.

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dont pay cash, just use a cashiers check. 2 bills of sale, he must sign the title which should be free and clear. take a picture or photocopy of his drivers license (very important). make sure you get all the little things (manuals, spare whatevers, spare keys, etc...). make damn sure your insurance co writes a rider for your new car to get it home before you get it registered. that should do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte