How do you get good 60' times

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: How do you get good 60\' times

I cut consistant 1.80 60 footers on stock tires with 32 psi.I slip the clutch from 3k and roll on the gas as I do it.Its hard to teach,you must practice it.You really have to walk that fine line between lighting the tires up and slipping to much.Once mastered though,you can launch like that on the street.

Joe

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have no problem launching on the street. But when it comes to the track, I have to smoke the tires. The best 60' I managed was a 2.20 and ran a 12.20 at 118. In the BTR video it seems so easy but it aint, I tried but couldnt get better than the numbers I am getting. If I drop my 60' to 1.9xx I think I'll run in the 11's no problem. I am gonna practice, thats the only way to go.

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, 1.8's on stock tires are realistic, even for us slower gen 1 boys. I launch around 2500 and ease it out while giving more gas. It's a very fine line between spinning and launching. I practiced alot on a newly paved back country road before hitting the track. Don't practice on an old road though. It won't hook well and will be totally different than a track.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

on my 97 gts I run consitant low 1.9's high 1.8's with 20 lbs in my Pilot sports , I come out around 950 & stand on once its rolling. We had to do this in the old bias ply big block days & it seems to work for me on my pure stock Viper.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you get good 60\' times

It amazes me to see(on video or people typing they do) guys in vipers running 1.8 second 60' times on stock tires.
The track probably has something to do with it, but can't seem to get below 2.1 Guess i just need practice easing off the clutch and easing into the gas at 1700-2000 rpm. Man so used to dumping the clutch and flooring the gas with my previous cars.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? ANY drag racing viper videoes besides BTR?
BTR video says launch @ 2500rpm ease clutch out get it rolling and floor it.
With nitrous I'm not so clear on launching.
Leave it on and launch a little smoother or bring on the nitrous in end of second or beginning of third gear after getting traction?

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I ran a 2.60-60' @12.7 118mph the rest of the runs were disasters. I think the car hooked better with the 17'rims, but I never ran the 1/4 mile on them. practice practice practice!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Did you:

-Lower tire pressures rear to ~~18, raise front to max+5

-Disconnect but secure 1 end of the front sway bar.

- restore all to stock before driving public roadways

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Even on the crappiest of tracks, 1.9 should be doable. I have hit the 1.6 range on a well prepped track.

Basically, a track that hooks provides more resistance than even the Viper can overcome at off-idle, so if the track hooks, you need at least 2,500+ RPM to keep the tires at the limit of traction. If the track *****, you're not going to see anything better than a low 1.9 60' anyways.

I have to go on record and say I disagree with dropping the pressure in the tires. In my experience, around stock pressure is going to get you the best traction. Lowering them to the 18 range will only make them cup in the middle. Tom's method is the scientific way to get an ideal pressure, but I'd say putting them at 29psi will get you 95% of the way towards ideal tire pressure, so I don't bother with the burnouts and all that to determine it.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Motor City Mad Man:
JonB, I am not too experienced with drag racing yet, but what will disconnecting the front sway bar do for me and how much could it improve my 60' times? I can't seem to get any lower than 2.0 60' times. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wheelspin defeats low 0-60 ft times on High-HP cars.

Wheelspin is minimized by disconnecting the frame-stiffening sway bar up front. Allowing the very stiff frame to flex a bit, absorbing torque that causes wheelspin. In effect, it 'softens the blow' to the driveline when the whole frame absorbs it forward. Result: Lower 0-60', and less wheelspin upon shifting, and less wheelhop.

I have found that my best times, and my students best times (I taught the "Novice Drag Racing" class at ViperNationals-I ) was achieved when rolling resistance was minimised by pumping up the fronts HARD, while dropping the backs to 20,19,18... Works best on 17" tires, due to having more sidewall to flex instead of spin.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonB - PartsRack:
Did you:

-Lower tire pressures rear to ~~18, raise front to max+5

-Disconnect but secure 1 end of the front sway bar.

- restore all to stock before driving public roadways

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JonB, I am not too experienced with drag racing yet, but what will disconnecting the front sway bar do for me and how much could it improve my 60' times? I can't seem to get any lower than 2.0 60' times.

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Has anyone here upgraded to the Heavy Duty Half Shafts yet?? I was told that if 1/4 mile racing is what I like to do, Half Shafts need to be upgraded. Is this true?? Aren't the stock ones up to an 11.xx sec ride ??

SurfSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SurfSnake:
I ran a 2.60-60' @12.7 118mph the rest of the runs were disasters. I think the car hooked better with the 17'rims, but I never ran the 1/4 mile on them. practice practice practice!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you think its possible to run a 11.9 with my car if I can get the 60' time down?

OP
OP
D

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Definitely,drop 8/10's off your 60 ft to 1.80 and youll be in the 11's for sure.Probably more like 11.80.

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456