How Do You Pop The Clutch When Driving Your Viper? Please Read!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

I was just wondering, do you guys let the clutch go and just then hit the gas or do you do the clutch release and gas at the same time like most manual cars? The Viper has enough power to just let the clutch go without the car cutting out, although you get a little bit of the feeling that it might cut off. What do you guys do? Is anyone of the methods bad for the clutch? The reason I ask is because I just drove a 550 (GREAT CAR) and was told to not drive it like a normal manual car and to just let go of the clutch OR the car burns the clutch. Any help would be greatly appricated.

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't a clue about the clutch, but I love the sapphire/cognac combo. It would have been my choice if I hadn't found my steel/cognac 2000. Great car. AT

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I always have let it out with virtually no gas, no need for it in a Viper, and its extra wear on the clutch that isnt justified.

But yeah, I am kinda screwed too... I can never own a torque-less import now. When you drive a car that WONT stall, you forget how to drive one that will- permanently it seems. I tried driving my buddies Cam'd Camaro which has about as much low end torque as my lawnmower... um, didnt work out too well...

GTS234

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know from many years around short track stock car racing that the technique your talking about is common for those cars, but they are running small diameter triple disc clutches which don't last as long when slipped to release, like you do your street car. A large diameter single disc can stand it, but reducing your "slip" when you let the clutch out (lower RPM, quicker release) is a good idea. Some of it depends on exactly what type set up is in the particular car (stock vs. high perf. vs. race).

That said, to answer your question about how I do it, heck my car is such a big forgiving teddy bear that I just treat it like any other car I've got and it seems to be just as happy as if I was handling it with kid gloves!

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have let it out with virtually no gas, no need for it in a Viper, and its extra wear on the clutch that isnt justified.

But yeah, I am kinda screwed too... I can never own a torque-less import now. When you drive a car that WONT stall, you forget how to drive one that will- permanently it seems. I tried driving my buddies Cam'd Camaro which has about as much low end torque as my lawnmower... um, didnt work out too well...

okay. Just wanted to make sure. They little feeling you get that it might cut out worried me. I was also worried about clutch wear. Any other opinions?

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rev the motor until the rev limiter kicks in then release clutch at a brisk rapid rate. If you detect smoke coming up through the console you definitely know that the clutch is engaging (to what degree you don't know but it is engaging). Bring Rpms till rev limiter kicks in then shift to second, repeat same procedure for 3,4,5,6.
All joking aside, it is hard to stall the viper but at the same time it shouldn't be bogging. Let the clutch out in the right gear so the car doesn't bog or over rev. Also excessive wearing occurs if you slip the clutch too long by delaying engagement. At the right RPM's shifting into the right gear will match and a minimum of the clutch is needed to switch gears. If you were to do a perfect shift and exactly match the timing of the motor and gears, the clutch is not needed. I do not recomend shifting without the clutch I am simply saying that the RPM and gearing will align at the right time. Hope this makes sense.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
depends on what im doing...lol

if in traffic or gonna take off real slow, i ease out the clutch with NO gas.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee's right lets go to the track as soon as possible. I'll ride shotgun. We'll remember to keep some extra clutch plates in the trunk. Keith I'm ready when you are.