How do you remove the cigarette lighter housing from the dash piece?

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm removing my dashboard and trim pieces for a re-paint. I'm stripping them using the Easy-Off method. I can't seem to get the damn cigarette lighter housing off the back of the radio/ac trim panel. :confused:

I was just going to leave it on there, but I've gotta run it under water to clean etc. There must be a trick to disconnect it? Help!

:bonker:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the large tube behind the panel unscrews. Is it slipping? If so, a piece of wood into the front (where the lighter goes) might grab enough.

OP
OP
F

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem solved. Thanks for the quick response guys. It was staring me in the face, but I was focusing on the outside housing and just couldn't see it... I think I'm losing it. :p

OP
OP
F

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Phil. I've got info for you on the OEM seat material. I'll give you a call over the next few days. I wanted to see how my seat turns out before posting on that thread. No, I haven't started boozing it yet... :p Ah fawk it, I'm gonna crack one now... :D HAPPY NEW YEAR!

OP
OP
F

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just adding an update: I was unsure if I could remove the passenger side airbag cover (I wanted to paint it to match the dashboard). I pulled the airbag fuses, but then thought to myself, lemme give the Wizard a call to confirm. Chuck's answer was a resounding "NO". Apparently the cover is an integral part of the system. That plastic cover piece is attached to the bag and has a perforated line on the backside so that it "breaks away" upon deployment. There is also a different paint on the cover than the fuzzy grey paint on the dash. Makes perfect sense to me now! :bonker:

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Problem solved. Thanks for the quick response guys. It was staring me in the face, but I was focusing on the outside housing and just couldn't see it... I think I'm losing it. :p

edit: nevermind

you unscrewed the 1/4" nut on the back of the assembly

Last edited:

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
here's the nut, in case anyone else is looking for it

You must be registered for see images attach