How do you take off the shift knob?

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the FE knob on my GTS. I am pretty strong. I lift weights, I flex my biceps daily and tell my wife to squeeze and she is always impressed.

But I cannot twist off the gearshift knob. I have tried twisting to the left (righty tighty lefty loosy) so hard that my car has actually rotated to the left a few feet... but the knob was still on.

What am I doing wrong? Is the little polished cap supposed to pop off and there is a screw or something underneath it?

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, just went and found what you are referring too.

But I just want to take the knob off, not the handle. I would like to have the knob so I can put it in my pocket.

How do I only take the knob off?

Thanks,
Mike

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the knob is designed to come off the shaft. Just put the whole assembly in your pocket and you'll REALLY impress the women. :2tu:

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah that *****... So this new B&M shifter I just bought, I will have to buy a new knob too?

Are you sure?

Mike

OP
OP
M

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No wonder Rich D. didn't reply when he asked me what kind of knob I had after I inquired about his shifter. I told him the one on the FE and I would like to keep it. He probably thought I meant I didn't want his shifter anymore. Because he didn't respond, I just ordered the B&M shifter instead. Oh well.

That's obviously the real reason I wanted to take the ball off. Now that's no good. And I can't think of a fix either. I suppose I could get that ashtray with the gear position on it and not depend on the diagram on the ball anymore. blah. I am so used to looking at the ball though.

Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21