How far can you cruise on a full tank?

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all I know nobody likes to talk about fuel milage and most say if you care about that go by a hybrid but i couldnt find the answer I was looking for on the search. I will be recieving my first Viper in a few weeks when Route 6 and Bernie at BJ Motors finishes it up. I bought a 96 with 19000 miles that was all original even down to the rubber. Well since I needed tires the wife said to get some rims so we did 19'' front and 20'' rears. since I did that I had to get gears so I wouldnt loose any get up and go so we decided on the 3.55s. Now since I would be shifting a little more I needed to make that more pleasurable so we ordered the b&m short throw shifter and mgw gripper knob. Ok now more shifting :drive: with better grip and quicker gears all deserve a good exhaust note so we go for belanger coated headers, rand. tech. high flow converters, and corsa catback. To hide mine and her stupid grin we are also getting the windows tinted. I know I just rambled a little but it is all relavent to my question. So hear goes:
I live in northern va (fauquier) and will be taking a trip to myrtle beach. Im trying to plan the stops for scenery gas and such and just wanted to ask you guys and gals how far you think I will be able to drive on a tank of gas doing roughly 70-75 on I-95 with my mods. Thanks ahead of time for any responces.

One last thing is this all happened because of my beutiful wife, she bought me the car and paid for the parts and for that I will forever love her. By the way shes only 24 and me 26 years old.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opps with my exitement in typing I forgot to mention that we are also getting the kw coilovers to lower the ride down to wheel level and help the handling. I dont know how I forgot about that. Thanks again.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Welcome Nate and Wife !!

We easily get 20 mpg in a stock 97 GTS and a 99 ACR on the highway at or around 70-75 mph (admittedly, have not checked these figures in quite some time)...find a web-based gear/wheel chart to calculate your setup (sorry, but I've lost the address of the one I have used when a hard-drive failed).

ENJOY your New Ride !!!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a 24 yr old wife who bought you a Viper and modded it? Screw gas mileage, where do I get THAT modification for my car?

p.s.--Welcome to the party :nana: Posting pics of your wife will make us like you more and more likely to answer your questions :D

p.s.s.--I don't know the answer either. On my straight piped 96', I get anywhere from 18-22MPG depending on how fast I drive in 6th gear

V

venms96

"fauquier"

Now.....how exactly do you pronounce that ?? :rolleyes:

Nice story - I don't see the relevancy of adding anyone's age - but......regardless, very cool of wifey to treat ya like that. Sounds like a great car, be careful - it can get away from you quick.

I have no idea how many mpg you'll get, I never checked, but I do know - don't follow too close and watch those Trucks - they, and others can throw a lot of sh**, rocks, etc. onto the front end. One way to avoid that is to go faster than everyone else, stay in the left lane and cruise. But on I-95, that means a steady 80-85mph, which isn't real cool to do sometimes.

Good luck with the new ride !

Last edited by a moderator:

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. and it sounds like a nice car. But, why do people make it a big deal to post their age? I was young (still am younger) when I got mine, but who cares (defending myself from an old fart comment:smirk:).

V

venms96

Congrats. and it sounds like a nice car. But, why do people make it a big deal to post their age? I was young (still am younger) when I got mine, but who cares (defending myself from an old fart comment:smirk:).

I see we're on the same page.......must be the PA. thing........I understand being proud and excited, nothing wrong with that. It was just the placement of the comment, the way everything was written, but whatever........ain't none of us perfect. I've seen some real old young guys, and I've known some real young, older guys - most of us !!

Crank that B/W up Nate - just don't lose it.

mangle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats on the car! There are a bunch of us nearby. In fact, we'll be driving this Sunday (meet in the Sterling area) if the weather holds out. Today was beautiful driving weather, at least in Arlington. I'm still all smiles from the short little run we did. Shoot me a pm with your email...

When I drove mine here from Massachusetts, I got 27.0mpg, but I was cruising in 6th at the speed limit. Tire pressure was about 30psi on the original XGTs (I have PS-2s now, MUCH improved), hence the reason I kept my foot COMPLETELY out of it. I don't think I ever went over about 1800rpm. My jeep doesn't come close to that mileage. I think normal, un-spirited cruising highway mileage for the Viper is 20ish though.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever do better than low teens for mpg. Half the fun of driving a Viper is to be able to just randomly mash the gas and go real fast real quick.

6th gear is too depressing for that.

OP
OP
N

Nates GTS Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I'm sorry if anyone thought I was bragging or being cocky when I put our ages down I just thought since it was my first post I'd put a little about us in the post. As for the pics of the wife she said no but you could get some of the car (sorry she's shy). Thanks for all the feedback it helps out a lot. Also thanks for the positive words of my new ownership. Alls I can say is that this board is great.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I'm sorry if anyone thought I was bragging or being cocky when I put our ages down I just thought since it was my first post I'd put a little about us in the post. As for the pics of the wife she said no but you could get some of the car (sorry she's shy). Thanks for all the feedback it helps out a lot. Also thanks for the positive words of my new ownership. Alls I can say is that this board is great.

We'll quit asking for wife pics if you join the VCA.

Cheaper than all those mods you're doing, and just as useful.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh well, thanks for trying :) We'll settle for pics of the car. One thing you may need to know is a lot of Viper gas gauges are bad about "floating". There is no known cure and nothing you can do about it. Mine can show empty and actually have almost a 1/2 tank. Just watch your mileage so you know how many miles you've gone between fillups.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you've got 3.55 gears don't expect any more than 18 mpg on the highway tops. When mine was stock I would get around 20-22mpg on the highway. But I'd be lucky if I broke 14mpg now...

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When Bernie was down in TX he was telling me about this car and the new owners-glad to see you made it here on the web.

Love the car (I was actually considering getting that car), but don't expect anything much better then high teens to low twenties-it's a Viper!

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome! I just bought my car last week...

I bought mine in Tampa, Florida and drove it back to Phoenix, Arizona. It was just short of 2200 miles. I averaged about 20.9 mpg. The best I did on a single tank was 396 miles, with a little over a gallon to spare. The gas gauge is fairly in-accurate by most peoples accounts.

BTW, my car has a Paxton blower and Corsa cat-back set up. Stock gears (as far as I know) and stock headers.

Oh, and if you ever have the pleasure of driving alllllll the way through Texas, make sure you pack a lunch...:rolleyes:

P.S. It's cool that we're the same age... (sorry guys)

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cruising between 75 and 80 in 6th with my 06 coupe and 3.55's I get between 19 and 21mpg pretty consistent. Real gas as opposed to ethanol "enriched" usually gives 1-2 mpg's better on a long run so good gas runs closer to the 20-21mpg.

Watch the gas gauge but watch your mileage which is generally a better indicator.

As always driving style, mods, gas, can have some monster effects on this. Run a couple tanks out on the highway and do the math, it will give you a pretty good idea.

cabinetman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock 97 coupe bought in Lincoln Nebraska got 26 mpg through Neb. and Iowa ( speed limit 65) then dropped dramatically when I hit my home state of Michigan where I felt more comfortable. After a 750 mile shake-down cruise and about an hour from my house I passed a State Trooper @ 110. Probly wasn't getting such great mileage then.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well since I needed tires the wife said to get some rims so we did 19'' front and 20'' rears. since I did that I had to get gears so I wouldnt loose any get up and go so we decided on the 3.55s.

no props for letting your girl buy your car and everything for it, but then again, who wouldnt...:)

did the overall diameter of the tires actually change? If not, you would not lose any 'get up and go' . Typically when you upsize a wheel the sidewall of the tire gets smaller to compensate giving you the same overall diameter. Do you understand this? If your concerned about MPG then keep the stock gears. What color is the viper and what wheels did you go with?

best of luck with it!! Spring is around the Corner!:drive:

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed I got an increadible 23.7mpg on a trip from Houston to Orlando.

Granted, I wasn't getting over 70mph because I was behind my brother-in-law in the moving truck.

Oh yea...it's got over 565rwhp, 610rwtq.....N/A :D

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nate - welcome. To put your mind at ease if it isn't already, I had Bernie do all those mods you mentioned to my car, plus a few others. You won't be disappointed in the quality and craftsmanship of Brad King his principal. Top notch team there at Route 6. Enjoy that car and be safe.

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did the overall diameter of the tires actually change? If not, you would not lose any 'get up and go' .
Not necesarily true. You also have to account for the weight of the wheel. Usually when you go bigger you get heavier as well. More weight equals less "get up and go."

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
stock geared 96 gts...from chicago to phoenix I averaged 25 or so mpg, maybe a little more. except in nem mexico I drove 100mph for 30 minutes straight.

V

Venomiss

Welcome to Vipers! Lee can help you get started in your area. Join us!

Make sure you take along an emergency number-for Vipers.
See if your car comes with the manual-if not buy one before you pick it up.
Learn what side of the Viper you gas up on .
Be prepared for all kinds of questions on your car when you stop.;)
Be nice to whoever asks questions-you might inspire another to be a Viper owner.
Camera of course.
Drive safely-shiny side up.
Tell your wife how great she is. :drive:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything between

12 liters per 100 kilometer (6th gear, long boring drive)

to

>100 liter per 100 kilometer (race track)

and depending on "driving style".

Do your own math!

WELCOME to the WILD WORLD OF VIPER(S).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine