How hard is it to replace serp. belt tensioner??(Gen 1)

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering how big of a pain it is to replace.....
I allready replaced the belt about 1k miles ago and it is starting to make a chirping sound...I think the tensioner is shot...Also how do you test the one on the car to see if its worn out?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only thing you can do is take the belt off and spin it and see if it makes noise then or look at the alignment and make sure it lines up with the other pulleys. Try spraying a silicone lube on the belt while it is running and if the noise goes away it is almost always the belt, if the noise is still there then remove the belt and spin all other pulleys like the alternator or power steering.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know excatly what you are talking about! I had the same issue with my belt on my Gen 1. Did you get your belt at Napa? Or was it the Mopar Belt? If so change it out for a good year gator back belt and the noise should go away. I tried everything from spray to wax to make the squeaky noise go away on my belt. My car sounded like it had a supercharger system on it at times or a bunch of crickets.

I'm just about 100% sure it's your belt you have. Try the gator back style ribbed belt with the different tread pattern on the back of it and you should notice a difference.

OP
OP
S

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ab,
You are describing the sound exactly....I put a ac/ delco belt on it (i know i know) I work at a Cadillac dealer so it was easy to get....was fine for a while now making noise...
Also just noticed my p/s pulley wobbles just a slight bit, like if you put a straight edge almost touching it as it spins it would bearly touch it as it "wobbles"....Do the ps pump pulleys "wobble" a little...I rescently had the pump replaced by a Viper tech.....maybe thats the problem...but it just barely wiggles..wobbles.....I really dont want to take it back to the dealer...

Does anyone know the part number for the gatorback belt???
Cheers,

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didn't work out.. went to change the serp belt and the crankshaft bolt was barely on.. threads are somewhat comprmised. need to order a new bolt and dampner (at a minimum). hoping the internal is okay... what a drag.

i guess count my blessings it didn't fly off doing 100 on interstate 75. thanks big time to steve fess! so thankful you answered! sorry to bother you on a saturday night. wife is out of town with the girls in dale hallow. my next door neighbors wife watched my 3 kids as jimmy (next door greatest neighbor) went to change the belt.. gonna have to have it flat bedded to my tech.. any thoughts? thanks Steve!! you must of been/are a great surgeon!!!!

cudda been worse. still *****... :mad:

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering how big of a pain it is to replace.....
I allready replaced the belt about 1k miles ago and it is starting to make a chirping sound...I think the tensioner is shot...Also how do you test the one on the car to see if its worn out?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

Feel is the best way. Mark where the angle of the tesnsioner with the belt on and check to see how much tension is on the belt. If the belt feels very tight, you probably have enough spring left in the tensioner. To check, take the belt off. Pull the tensioner back with your socket wrench to the angle it was when the belt was attached. If it feels tough with good spring, the tensioner is probably OK.

That said, it's easy to replace the tensioner.