How important is a warranty on a 2002 GTS?

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have been in the 2002/2006 coupe market for a while and been in a holding pattern waiting for the right one to come along. Lately a few 2002 GTSs have been on the market with low mileage (sub 5000 miles (which is crazy to me)), but no warranty. They are not at Dodge dealers so getting an extended warranty is impossible (at least from Dodge). My question, is a warranty on a 2002 GTS a deal breaker. I believe it is (for me), but I am looking for insight on what others think.

Thanks,
Matt

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you need a warranty for? At sub 5000 miles for a 5 year old car, one could probably assume it has been babied. One could also assume that if it was going to break right away, it would have done so already. I would put extended warranty at the bottom of my list. My opinion.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the car is 5 years old, the dealer will say everyhing that you need fixed is normal wear and tear so not covered. You will most likely not get anything fixed under warranty.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
IF you buy the 2000 Viper FROM A DODGE DEALER, you CAN purchase a DODGE used car warranty for 4-5 years that covers about everything. This is NOT the "extended warranty" and can only be had through the Dodge dealer (I THINK one has 30 days to decide).

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless things have changed, you can buy an extended warranty from a Dodge dealer on a used Viper bought from a private owner since I did just that. Just like a new car, you pay a bit more beyond the first year but otherwise it is the same process.

Last edited:

ViperVon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on how handy you are. I bought a 02 RT/10 with low miles and haven't had any major issues with it, but I also looked the car from top to bottom before I bought it. I do my own work and personally wouldn't trust a Dodge dealer to touch my car for any reason. If you on the other hand do not want to work on your own stuff, then a warranty would be pretty important.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IF you buy the 2000 Viper FROM A DODGE DEALER, you CAN purchase a DODGE used car warranty for 4-5 years that covers about everything. This is NOT the "extended warranty" and can only be had through the Dodge dealer (I THINK one has 30 days to decide).
Steve, I think you should specify whether "about everything" covers what Dodge thinks is 'wear and tear' or 'abuse.' If an axle breaks doing a HPDE, or autocross, is it covered by Dodge? Just curious, since I would think it covers defective parts only. Jim

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 SRT 10 which had 4000 miles on the clock when I purchsaed it. I immediately opted to purchase a 7/70 extended warranty from Chrysler. So far, the warranty has paid for a new passenger side window regulator, new right front shock, new clutch pedal assembly, and a new oil pan gasket.

I learned (from my original '94 RT/10) that there's no substitute for the piece of mind a warranty provides.

Don

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 SRT 10 which had 4000 miles on the clock when I purchsaed it. I immediately opted to purchase a 7/70 extended warranty from Chrysler. So far, the warranty has paid for a new passenger side window regulator, new right front shock, new clutch pedal assembly, and a new oil pan gasket.

I learned (from my original '94 RT/10) that there's no substitute for the piece of mind a warranty provides.

Don

Don't they have lemon laws for cars like that? I mean, nothing personal, but I'd be pissed if that much has gone wrong with my $85K car.

V

Venomiss

We buy new but if we didn't ...get a warranty unless you are a mechanic or know your way around a Viper.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless things have changed, you can buy an extended warranty from a Dodge dealer on a used Viper bought from a private owner since I did just that. Just like a new car, you pay a bit more beyond the first year but otherwise it is the same process.

Yes your right BUT the cut off is, 48,000 miles OR 48 Months from the "in-service-date" that a dealer can sell you a warranty.

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can get the warranty GET IT!!!!!! I turned down the extended max care on my GTS when I bought it 1 year ago for $1500 and it would have been covered through 2010. Looking back it was CHEAP insurance compared to what Vipers cost to fix. So far nothing has happened to my Viper to make me need it but some people aren't that lucky.

I know someone who bought a 5,000 mile GTS and had several issues with it and was very happy he had the extended warranty. I also no someone else who bought a low mile GTS and had a pretty bad problem with no warranty. Try pricing and intake, a few injectors, and a rod for a low mile car you just bought that seemed fine when you bought it and checked out well:omg:

There is a such thing as being driven to little and there are a lot of Vipers out there with this problem. Someone who buys it and thinks I don't need to change any of the fluids because it only has 5,000 miles but then street races it every time it is taken out.:nono:

If you can get a great deal on a Viper without a warranty go for it. If you can get a warranty for a couple of grand that covers you for several years it would be worth it IMO.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Good point, Jim...wear and tear CAN be subject to interpretation......the last time that I check for one of our members, it was very similar tio a "Max-care"...nearly a "bumper to bumper" deal. It's worth looking at the "used car warranty" brochure at a Dodge dealer. As I recall, at this point, it goes back as for as 1997 IF the car if below a given mileage level.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way, funky 977, we currently have 6 Vipers in the garage and ALL but one started with the Max-care 7 year warranty...with the one having a 6 year warranty. Most are off warranty now...BUT, at this point I feel that they are both "well sorted out" and well taken care of by yours truly with the occasional FINE HELP from a very well seasoned Viper Tech. Having owned a variety of cars in the past (Jags, Porsches, Ferrari's) without such extended warranties...I strongly recommend FACTORY BACKED extended warranties now when "dabbling" in these cars (unless of course you are a professional mechanic and/or have a money pit !!!). In the final analysis, however, it is an issue of personal preference and risk vs. benefit analysis. Be aware that I have been offered the same warranty from different dealer sources for between $1400.00 and $2500.00...it pays to SHOP...and, I can save you some trouble at this point in time...just call Chuck Tator...SERIOUSLY !!!

Obsidian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A warranty is a statistical profit center for the manufacturer. Meaning the numbers play out that they have more coming in from people buying warranties than they dish out fixing issues.

Knowing that fact, if you thoroughly check out your car (I mean really thoroughly) and determine it to be in tip top shape - I think it best to skip the warranty payment, and put the money in a money market. Use that money for repairs should they be needed, and if they are not needed than go buy some sweet wheels.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the warranty. These cars are quirky, do break and are not cheap to fix if you can't do it yourself.

OP
OP
F

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Great points by everyone.

I have been in contact with "The Wizard" and he has lead me down the proverbial "yellow brick road" of warranties. I feel a warranty is in my best interest and most likely will help me sleep at night.

Now onto finding the right car.

Thanks,

Matt

V

Venomiss

Now you just need to call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse and check out one of the best Viper pits in the country!
1-800-889-1893
New or used Vipers with many happy customers. Midwest near Omaha.
We are on Viper #3 from them.
Happy hunting!:drive:

OP
OP
F

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me, Bill P. has been called. Seems like everyone is in a holding pattern until the 2008s get in. Hopefully something will free up soon.

By the way, the FE is my first choice.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rare find would be an as-yet unregistered 02 where, if I am not mistaken, you could get the full MaxCare right? I know I've seen one or two pass through, but ONLY one or two. And as others have pointed out, a car left to sit for 5 years might have a nice paint job but dry seals.

Having not owned a Viper yet, it's my impression that the one worst expense could be a failure in the short block assembly. I'm a confident home mechanic and would be comfortable doing anything short of rebuilding a transmission, so I'm not afraid of personal labor on a used car. Expense is something else, but I'm the type who would go... oh hey, I snapped an axle, time to upgrade. A bad example, but you understand.

What are some examples of potential 4-figure repairs/replacements (other than having to ship an engine to Archer) that occur with the Vipers?

Edit: make that "warranty" repairs/replacements. So items like clutches/flywheels wouldn't count unless they failed due to manufacturer defect, which would seem unlikely and difficult to prove if the car has miles on it.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rare find would be an as-yet unregistered 02 where, if I am not mistaken, you could get the full MaxCare right? I know I've seen one or two pass through, but ONLY one or two. And as others have pointed out, a car left to sit for 5 years might have a nice paint job but dry seals.

Having not owned a Viper yet, it's my impression that the one worst expense could be a failure in the short block assembly. I'm a confident home mechanic and would be comfortable doing anything short of rebuilding a transmission, so I'm not afraid of personal labor on a used car. Expense is something else, but I'm the type who would go... oh hey, I snapped an axle, time to upgrade. A bad example, but you understand.

What are some examples of potential 4-figure repairs/replacements (other than having to ship an engine to Archer) that occur with the Vipers?

Edit: make that "warranty" repairs/replacements. So items like clutches/flywheels wouldn't count unless they failed due to manufacturer defect, which would seem unlikely and difficult to prove if the car has miles on it.

Not much on the Viper that isn't four figure. I do all work myself and the prices are still insane. I had Max-Care, my shock started to leak on my ACR. The retail cost was $3,200 for one shock assembly. The straps that support the radiator core are steel, one of mine rusted through and took out the electric fans. I got a new radiator and fan assembly. Both engine and tranny mounts plus the A/C line.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an extended warranty if you can.
My '98 only had 9K on it when I bought it three years ago, I thought I was safe. There was no extended warranty by Dodge available for it, as it had gone past the time limit as Chuck mentioned. Within a year had to have a timing chain cover leak fixed, tranny completely rebuilt, new clutch and flywheel replaced and I forget how many other things. All courtesy of the previous owner who apparently didn't have a clue how to drive the car. All above paid out of pocket to fix.

Low mileage is no guarentee of anything.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So many dooms day stories. Which I understand. Your stuff breaks, you'd like it fixed for free. But there have not been many posts from people that haven't had problems with their cars. And I can't imagine that they really aren't the majority. I mean, the Viper can be driven hard and abused, making the need for repairs more likely, but it is not a POS car. I spent my money on tools and a manual, and they are getting dusty. Just like many extended warranties do.

Still a personal call though. If you are not a mechanic, get the warranty. If you are a mechanic, buy some tools, and spend the rest of the money you save on mods. Heck, get a Vipair or something!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shiit happens.
Go price a new tranny, or even a quality rebuilt. That alone will pay for you extended warranty.

Triple7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A Viper might be a Dodge, but they can be foriegn exotic car expensive when it comes to parts costs. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything I have ever owned, but I bought a sub 5,000 mile 2001 GTS last winter and I bought the Max Care just before the eligibiliy expired, and now I am good until 12/30/11 or 54,800 miles. Ringold Dodge in Georgia gave me a great deal. I would guess that if you ever sell the car, you would get the cost back in the sale price.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4