How important is ABS on the GTS Vipers

P

powerstream

I am looking at Vipers to purchase on in the near future.
My preference is the GTS series. Is there really a Best year?

I am leaning toward the 2001 and 2002 because they have ABS.
Is this enough reason to narrow it down to these two years?
Opinions would be very much appreciated

Thanks
Chris

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '01 GTS for that exact reason.

I want extra security under braking from extreme speeds - in excess of 130 mph.

Your trade off is cast pistons. I plan on keeping the engine NA so it shouldn't be an issue. If you are going SC or TT I would look for forged internals.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In addition to cast pistons (which are helpful in the event you plan to supercharge or turbocharge), the earlier models had a lumpier cam.

It all depends on what you want to do with the car.

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ABS brakes are good. No doubt about it. But I bought my '96 and I'm not dead. There are things you can do to make the existing brakes better if you feel like it. I wanted a Gen 2 blue/white stripes Viper, and they didn't make those with ABS. I'd go buy what you want, and if ABS falls into the category, then great... but I wouldn't make it a deal breaker.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 01 because it had forged psitons and 720rwhp. The 01 Pearle Blue is also a bonus.

I hate the ABS as it often thumps and grabs unevenly. Both Vipers I bought had Roe superchargers and Stop-tech brakes. Decide what you want out of your Viper and unless your dream is a stocker, get one with all the mods you want. My $40,000 worth of mods cost me an extra $6,000. Double the hp and way better brakes, exhaust, stereo, $5,000 worth of forged wheels, etc.

Ted

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not, it is possible to drive a car without ABS brakes. :D
You can get Tom's brake upgrade, or get Dave's Big brake kit and have the best of both worlds if you want to do it.

BELGIUMBARRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about a "panic" brake from .. let's say above 100 mph...
I don't think any upgrade brakes as also the stock ones can help you define the max friction of your tires with the road....at the most you have a better back-feeling from upgrades but the real limit will be hard to find... try to concentrate on this in a panic situation... :omg:

For such happpenings we must agree the only way to go is ABS...the system will be far more ( at least should be ) accurate then a driver goosing the pedal... :rolleyes:

Or i'm i wrong ? :dunno:

I can imagine a prof race driver knows how to brake in each corner of a circuit doing it for the 1000 time ... but how about a amateur racing or street use... :eek:

Parisianviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In dry road conditions, an experienced driver can do better without ABS, on wet, greasy or uneven roads the ABS is your friend...
If you live in Belgium, I will definitely recommend it..

OP
OP
P

powerstream

Thanks all I appreciate your honest responses.
My desire is to get a nicely modified car. But it has got to be done right. Supercharged or a Henessey 650r as an example.
Thanks
Chris

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS might brake each wheel independent of each other (number of channels...)
A driver never can do that.

In the rain or under difficult circumstances a ABS car is way ahead of a non-ABS car if it comes to braking.

Brake hard, very ******* a "slippery race track" at speeds above 100mph and you will know.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ABS, overrated in my mind. If you are driving like a maniac while raining, then yes, ABS is very nice. If you plan on "tracking" the car, then ABS is great. It certainly didn't sway me from buying mine, although I did upgrade the brakes.
To each his own but if I had the choice, I would take the forged pistons over ABS any day!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want driver aids, buy a Posha... ;)

Power steering, brake booster and LSD are all "driver aids".... sorry that argument doesnt hold much water, I dont really think of ABS as a driver aid anymore so then power brakes (brake booster) and power steering. Now nanny control, with active handling and traction control.. those you can argue are driver aids. Not ABS...

Jon

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Power steering, brake booster and LSD are all "driver aids".... sorry that argument doesnt hold much water, I dont really think of ABS as a driver aid anymore so then power brakes (brake booster) and power steering. Now nanny control, with active handling and traction control.. those you can argue are driver aids. Not ABS...

Jon

That's sort of a grey area that I also tread, but I think ultimately, ABS is required by law now isn't it? At least for production, non-kit cars. I could be wrong.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, some people think ABS is less than necessary..it's all fun and games from the safety of a forum..

I bought a set of Gen2 wheels and tires from a Canadian DC engineer-met him right at the DC Tech Center in fact, who was in a hurry coming back late from his lunch etc..

I looked over the wheels but not the tires, it was only after I got them home I then saw the fronts were severely flat spotted, and one of them was even nerfed hard enough to damage the sidewall. My bad. He didn't mention that in his ad..

Someone made hard panic stop w/o ABS didn't they?

Want to be in that situation in your next car? Well do ya punk?

(Note to self-always take time to look over everything-no matter what rush the seller says he's in) :nono:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just ordered the 14"front brake kit for my 01. stainless steel lines, Brembos from a Gen 3 and lightweight slotted rotors. Car should stop in less than 100' from 60mph now! Law requires that cars have to stop from 60mph in less than 250'.

My car should be able to zero from 100mph(?) in 250'?

ABS doesn't stop the car faster, it only helps to stop skidding.

Ted