How is MSD wires?? noise FREE??

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rightnow i just have stock wires came with the car, and thinking about go with a set of MSD 8.5 wires, i know a lots of you have MSD, so let me know what u guys think about them, my car rightnow is totally noise free from stock wires, but will MSD noise FREE?? thanks

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up significant noise with tthe MSD wires. I wouldn't do it again. :usa:

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
but on MSD site and they say it supposed to have totally NOISE FREE due to special design of those wires, so everyone on here got MSD got the noise????

S

SUN RA KAT

JonB of PartsRack advised me to go with the Magnacore 8.5 wires and they are completely noise free.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The aftermarket wires will not give you any performance gain compared to stock wires.

Do you want them just for appearance?

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
no, what happened was i got a MSD set for holiday gift, so i can put them on or resell them, i mean people telling me they are so much better wires on any car, but i wasn't sure about the noise.........

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think any performance wire will be totally noise free as the stock wires are.
Somewhere along either the FM or AM dial there will be a place that has interference. had Taylor Spiro and MSD on the Z-06 and bith buzzed on certail places on the radio dial.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the NGK plugs that solved the problem were resistor plugs, I could see the science in that.

There is no way colder plugs would change radio noise.

The "cold" in cold plugs comes from having a center insulator, the ceramic part, that comes out closer to the electrode. This takes combustion heat away from the tip faster.

The term cold has nothing to do with the spark itself.

A resistor plug or resistor wire, prevents sharp edges on the spark pulse. Rounding the edges prevents harmonic radio frequency noise from being generated.

The rounded edges have no effect on the engine.

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so most people on here says "MSD = noise"??? should i return that wire set then??

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've run 3 different wire sets on our shop GTS over the last 4 years; stock, Jacobs and MSD.
- Stock wires, no noise, but arced at about 4 years old with the blower.
- Jacobs wires, a lot of noise.
- MSD, no noise (resistor plug) and no arcing.
It is important to note however that each car can be a little different. I have "heard" people say every aftermarket plug wire made noise (no exceptions). Some of it could depend on how well the radio system is grounded. We know that the car's don't have the best grounding system. If fresh, the stock plug wires seem to be fine.

Regards,
Sean

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I said,
A resistor plug or resistor wire, prevents sharp edges on the spark pulse. Rounding the edges prevents harmonic radio frequency noise from being generated.
The rounded edges have no effect on the engine.

The radio has an automatic gain control. If you live in a city and listen to radio stations that have a strong signal, you may not hear the noise as much as someone who lives in an area where the radio stations are not as strong.

In weak signal areas, you can often hear the fuel pump static on AM.

OP
OP
V

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
then i guess i'm gonna give a try and change them if it's not too hard to do, let's just hope no noise.........