How many drive 'bone stock' Vipers?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why? What is your performance driving experience? Have you ever been in one with handling upgrades?

Those who have upgraded, would you ever drive a bone stock car again, if you could afford the upgrades?

Just curious what you all think.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some basic upgrades, but with the new sound of my exhaust, a stock Viper sounds way too quiet to me. Power wise, I've added maybe 30RWHP, but the new sound is my favorite effect of the mods. A buddy of mine has a bone stock 97 GTS that I've driven a few times. Speed wise, I dont see much of a difference, but mine is definitely louder and more obscene :)

1Need4Speed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the basic performance bolt ons right now as well (exhaust/smooth tubes/ hi-flo cats).
I ordered the Aldan Shocks and I'm just waiting to get time to install them. It's really for ride height adjustable purposes.
For leasure driving the Viper handles great. For straight line driving the Viper could use a bit of adjustment in the rear (hense the Aldans). For the purpose that your speaking of (road race set-up) then the Viper (Gen 2 that is) needs better brakes and a full adjustable suspension to really take advantage of the driving experience of the car.

My two cents...Till then it's still a blast to drive:drive:

Last edited:

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, I'll never have a stock one again unless it's a true collector. For me, part of the fun owning a car like this is modifying it, so I would do it over and over again. Some of the modification are just cosmetic (looks and sound) but for the most part it's about increasing performance and the experience of driving a car like this is awesome especially when you can get it to a track and find out what it's really capable of (mind blowing in the right hands). I have never had an addiction before, so I can't compare it, but I would have to say this would come awful close.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is still bone stock, but I've only had it a month. I may get around to some performance upgrades in the future, but for now stock is plenty quick for me. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune the first time I can't keep up with the car next to me.

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have smooth tubes and no cats. Car came with smooth tubes and riding in the oven got old very fast. Would do the cat delete again in a heartbeat.

I doubt I will do anything else, preformance wise. I am happy with the preformance and don't need anymore. OR I should say I don't want to spend that kind of $$ to get anymore, I have other wants.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had Random Tech High Flow Cats and Corsa Exhaust installed before I even picked it up. It has to sound as good as it looks. :2tu:

Reaction score
I think to most Viper owners it's the same mentality as owning a Harley. Part of the fun of ownership is customizing it to make it your own. Unlike most Ferrari or Porche owners I think the majority of Viper owners once they learn they can modify it easy do so. It jsut makes it more personal and more fun to take ownership of the little differences between yours and stock cars :cool:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rear muffler delete. Other than that it is bone.

Reason: Normal maintenance. I don't wanna be bent over my motor every Saturday wondering why it isn't running right or why a light goes on or "what's making that noise?" And don't lie guys, if you're pushing much north of 600hp you're spending more Saturdays than I am working on it.

Reaction score
Haha. I wish I even understood what was under my hood ....haha. Dan at DC Performance does all my work. I drive way to much to spend any time under my hood. I like Dan cause he understands I don't want my car in the shop I want it in and out when I add a modification ...haha :cool:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 is close to "bone" stock. It has stock 1999 wheels with the stock 97's in storage. The only mod is $6500 of head porting, polishing, port matching, etc. Oh yeah and a MGW shift knob.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had two bone stock low mileage GTSs. The Viper stock is great but there are a few simple things to change that are a must. The exhaust bark just doesn't match the bite of the V10 and the stock shifter *****.

I was once anti-mod to my Vipers, but after doing a shorter shifter, the Borla exhaust and high flow cats/pipes, I can say I'd never go back. Music to my ears and shifting is much easier.

I totally agree with Chuck on the whole maintenance issues of modifying the crap out of the car. On a cheaper/lighter note I had an Acura Integra GSR with a supercharger, yadda yadda, and that car constantly had self induced (by me) issues. Timing controllers having a bad ground or tach signal, ECUs not cooperating, hosing up 02 sensors doing exhaust work, FMUs blowing diaphrams, pulleys throwing bearings, blower belts shredding, constantly changing spark plugs, and on and on. I put 100k miles on that car with the blower, and it ran like a top engine wise, but the more I added, the more little nit picky issues I had.

UK Viper Nigel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '93 is stock except for smooth tubes and K&N filters. Had it for over 6 years and still love that original look - including the rear wing antenna and of course the plastic green doohickey.

My '94 has several mods: Magnum Competition Cams – camshaft, lifters, timing chain set and valve stem seals. Mopar big valves & springs, Arrow 1.7 Rolling Rockers and pushrods, Ported & flowed heads matched to the intake manifold, 65mm Accufab throttle bodies, cats delete, 2001 headers, Sean Roe side exit exhaust, Eibach lowerer springs, V-Mania roof, Northwind windows and Mopar rear wing - as well as being striped.

But every now and then it's great to get back into the original and just drive. :drive:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are not that fast stock. I tried to leave mine stock but after 3 weeks I went over to the darkside and called the speed demon Doug Levin.

Chuck 24,000 miles & all I change are tires, oil and plugs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1997 GTS B/W bone stock. Just got the car this year. I may update the exhaust next season but nothing else. I don't track and I don't race.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 RT/10 - mopar exhaust ( purchased from dodge ) , smooth tubes and k&n filters. Also a few MGW GOODIES. I can put the car back to stock in less then 3 hours as I do feel its important to be able to have it completely STOCK. Almost forgot I did put on GREEN BRAKE PADS but still have the originals.

3 THINGS NOT ORIGINAL - OIL , FILTER AND ANTIFREEZE :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2001 ACR came with K&Ns and factory smooth tubes. I just might leave this one stock if I can hang onto the '99 GTS.. Kinda nice just leaving it alone.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya, the more the mod...the higher risk you can have of something going wrong. Exhaust, K&N's, Smooth Tubes and maybe gears are the mods that are relatively safe performance mods that don't really add additional work to troubleshooting...just my 2 cents

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
450 HP is slow? In comparison to what?

Please let me know what cars today will wax my ACR Viper that are under $120,000. And even if they are incrementally faster, more often than not they are driven by some namby pamby boy who can't drive and who got a large allowance from Papa.

dun4791

Viper Owner
Reaction score
450 HP is slow? In comparison to what?

Please let me know what cars today will wax my ACR Viper that are under $120,000. And even if they are incrementally faster, more often than not they are driven by some namby pamby boy who can't drive and who got a large allowance from Papa.

Straightline acceleration(hp) performance? Any 03/04 Cobra with a twinscrew, C6 Z06, new GT500 for a few. None even close to 120K. No allowance here either.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting thread. It seems like about an even split. I am somewhat surprised, but then again, the price of upgrades is higher than I anticipated (that's coming from a Ferrari and former Porsche owner! oh yea, and Vette). People seem reluctant to work on anything, or fear breakage, and others love it. I think the 'breakage' is mainly an issue when you get plus 20% HP upgrades. Other upgrades, like breather kits, headers, don't have a downside.

Given my demands for driving performance vehicles at the limit, the Gen 2 main needs are braking, ride (too soft, too much roll, too high), shifter, and reputation for engine fires and bearing failures. I think the power is plentiful, and haven't touched the drivetrain. I like the stock gearing pretty well, although in some situations I wish it was a little higher re. Also the clutch is a little heavy. I would like to put an aluminum flywheel and pressure plate in mine, if I keep it.

I also can relate to the 'sound' issue. The sound of the stock car is nice, but certainly a nice pair of headers, or cat & muffler delete, is on my wish list.

My wife asks, when you get an 08, what are you going to do to it? I guess that will depend on whether it meets my expectations. Good question.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte