How many of you..... (Gen I vs Gen II RT/10 questions)

Reaction score
Just curious as kind of a follow up to my other post.

Many have recommended I get a Gen I instead of holding out for the later model that I wanted. I'm just curious how many of you Viper owners started on a Gen one and then later either traded it or also bought a later model? What are some differences in terms of the actual car between Gen I and II? In terms of ride, feel, comfort, etc. Also what do you recommend as my best course of action.

Don't worry this will be my last post on this subject for awhile. I just want to budget my money properly depending on my decision, which I honestly have no idea what to do.

Thank you for putting up with my stupidity.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of members did. I did, I had a 96 RT(black and silver), than went to a 1999. I still miss the old Gen I and will probably have another. I want a white with blue stripes next time :2tu: :2tu:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1 Viper, where do I start? Mine rides like a truck with little or at least worn shocks. No A/C and can get pretty hot in the interior on warm days. No airbags, no ABS, no windows. If you want your windows on, well, you will have to pull over and put them on. Did I mention it is kind of a rough ride? The feel of the car while driving is intense though. The car demands respect and gets it. You will find that most people will not pass you, they will just hang off of your bumper and stare in amazement that they are driving next to a Viper. The Gen 1 Viper, no other car even compares. I wouldn't own anything other than a Gen 1. Did I tell you it rides like a truck?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Gen I's, especially for the prices they can be had at. Now days $30K can get you into a clean Gen I viper.
I get more looks and thumbs up in the Gen I than the Gen II. Me personally I enjoy driving the Gen I more than the Gen II, good thing the Gen II is my wifes.
A few simple mods can put you close to gen II HP. I have AC in my 95 and it works fair, even on hot days with the top off.
I could drive my Gen I everyday if I wanted to as well, it is a very comfortable car. Like already mentioned the window situation can be annoying, but if you have them with you in the car, not really a big deal.

I know the Gen II, has better suspension and tracks the road a little better. I really never saw what all the fuss is about dissing the Gen I vipers, they are just as much viper as the Gen IIs and GTS's, even more so as far as I am concerned. I don't know how far you are from Harrisburg PA, but if you want to make a road trip from NJ. I will take you for a ride in both and show you what ever you want to see on both Gen's.

Good luck getting a viper, don't be scared of the Gen I, you can always trade up.

Ed

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a gen 1 for 8 years. We purchased another RT/10 last December (2001) and, although it is a bit more refined, it is really hard to say it is better. There are features on the GEN 2 that I really like (50 more hp, lower front facia, aluminum control arms, hood vents, etc) but the raw simple gen 1 is the one I am attracted to. I can't really put my finger on why, but if I had a choice I'd keep the gen 1. Installing windows and all that comes with it.

I do have a complete custom interior in the gen 1 that makes it much more attractive than the gen 2. Maybe that's it.

The airbag wheel is ugly and sidepipes rule.

That's what comes to mind.

Jeff

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I could have gotten either one but chose the GEN 1 because I wanted the side pipes. I also could care less about not having windows. I never drive my car if the windows or roof need to be on it. They do stay in the trunk incase of an unexpected weather change though.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after owning a 94 for 6 years swapped to the current GTS about 3 years ago, compared to the gen2 the gen1 was a lot stiffer,hard,harse,harder to drive quickly but great seat of the pants fun. The gen1 seats seemed more comfortable on a longer drive over the gen2

my limited time behind the wheel of a gen3 I reckon it nearly drives itself ;)
its almost like a 'normal' car

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I miss my old Gen I. My GTS is faster, easier to drive, more comfortable, and pretty much a better car in every way, but I still miss that old go-cart with a V10. I think my next car will be another Gen I to park next to my GTS.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IEATVETS beat me to it. But here's my take on it. It's hot it rattles it leaks it's obnoxious it's loud it "rides like a truck" it's fast it's ****! it turns heads (even in south Florida) it strikes fear into most. I'll think I'll keep it!

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Gen1 and plan to keep it until I die. The only drawback is when you start modifying the car. There are a lot more aftermarket parts & performance packages available
for Gen 2.
If your goal is to impress, most people don't know a gen 1 from a gen 2. Most people ask me if the car is new and always ask how much it cost. This car really gets the attention.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes...the original. Like owning a original Shelby Cobra...good stuff. Besides, rumor has it we have more torque...

gallaugher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all cars cost the same, I'd take a Gen-1 over: Bugati Veyron, Ferrari Enzo, Lamborgini Murcielago, Maserati MC12.

First, the Gen-1 started the Viper legacy. Without the Gen-1, there'd be no such 2005 SRT-10.

Second, the best Gen-1s have -- no A/C, no airbags, no windows, no door handles -- they're stripped-down V-10 Italian-cast-aluminum-engine-block road-produced street-legal Formula 1 hard-core-American dragon breathers.

Third, the Gen-1 is three inches lower than a 2005 SRT-10. Lower a Gen-1 and it'll be six inches. Gen-1s are prototype racecars.

Fourth, a Gen-1 demands respect as THE Viper. There's no mistaking a Gen-1. It owns the name: Viper. All other models must first ask a Gen-1 if they can be called by the legendary name: Viper.

If you want a smooth ride and climate control and auto-pilot, buy an Acura or Lexus or the new Corvette. Boring. Those cars drive themselves. But if you want to hold-down a raging bull with a flaming splinter in its ass and a bear trap on its nuts, get a Gen-1.

The best car in the world, ever -- and it's under $35,000!

Who cares if you have a W-16 with four turbochargers -- A/C is for Honda Civic Hybrids and C6 Corvettes and BMW M3s driven by girly-boys wearing pink Polos with flipped-up collars.

Dude. Get a Gen-1.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
So pretty much it sounds like you all think I should get a gen 1.

ACELLR8 I'd love to but odds are I can't.

Jeff you hit the nail on the head. The hard part would be finding both a gen 1 and gen 2 and test drive them without having to buy them.

gallaugher the bear trap on the bulls nuts thing is just wrong. Very wrong.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Well thank you everyone! Although I really haven't before I will now seriously consider a Gen 1 as well. PLEASE feel FREE to continue to add input as any little bit helps. I just really wish I could afford one now. "O the pain William. The Pain"

As my sig says: "When Hell Freezes Over!!"

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either one, it all comes down to what you like the most, color, windows, so on. My only suggestion is to get what you want the first time! Good luck and hurry up!

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Agreed GTSJERRY that is why I'm hesitant to get a gen 1. I like the style of the Gen II's exterior and interior better,I like the colors better (For some reason every gen 1 pic the paint on the car looks dull), I like all the little "extras" of the later ones, and for some reason I always imagined myself in a later one. Don't know why. Although I'm sure the Gen 1 is a good car I'm not looking to race the Viper I buy. I don't know. This is probably all in vain anyway. You know my sig. :)

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss my first viper(94 R/T10). I am going to miss my second viper(98 GTS) as well. I like to keep up with technology so I can see a Gen 3 coming soon to my garage(Late Winter 2006). I guess I need to change my avatar soon! I'll be back with either a new coupe or a convertible SRT!!!!

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gallaugher- Pass me a Kleenex please.

...I would like to make a nomination to the Gen 1 inner cirle. Is there anyone who could second my nomination? ;)

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rented a 95' GEN I in Vegas for a day and even in that town I still got looks. The car was tail happy and was fun on the desert roads out there over 100mph. My gen II is faster but not by that much. I see it as a refinement of the GEN I instead of a complete redo. GEN I' Vipers are the closesed version to the concept car and will always to me be raw bare bones V10 power. You can't lose with any good condition Viper so it's all about preferences.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"if you want to hold-down a raging bull with a flaming splinter in its ass and a bear trap on its nuts, get a Gen-1"

That about sums it up! :2tu:

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just as a side note about a Viper

I am mechanically challenged although been driving sports cars since 1972. Only had a GenII. It's my only car and am probably in the minority for using a Viper as a daily ride.
I drive the speed limit 99% of the time. The car is surprisingly docile in city traffic. Has never overheated and it gets really hot and humid down here, the weather that is. I evacuated to Houston for Katrina. Drove the beast about 700 miles total. No problems at all. Didn't even notice the absence of a dead pedal. Quite comfortable actually. Averaged about 65 mph on the interstate and got pretty good gas milage as well.

Would recommend a Viper even as a daily driver.

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
I wouldn't use mine as a daily driver, but by the same token I don't beleive in buying a car and garaging it. If or When I get my Viper I'm using it.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would seriously consider getting a 1996 RT/10. When I was researching the Vipers, it became evident that there are potential issues with the Gen1 chassis/suspension, and these issues were resolved in the Gen2 chassis/suspension. The 96 RT/10 is considered Gen 1.5 as it's a transitional year, whereas they kept the Gen1 engine and interior, and essentially the rest of the car is Gen2, including the chassis and suspension.

Here's a partial list of the Gen2 upgrades on the 1996 RT/10:

* Newly designed Gen2 stiffer and lighter chassis and suspension, with stiffer springs and revalved shocks (although it's still unbeliveably comfortable IMO!)

* Hood (although not cut out for the scoop and vents, look underneath, and you'll see their provided for).. also hood is lighter, and they used the Gen2 molding process(SMC)/compound on the hood and other body parts

* Gen2 OBD-II computer

* Although it's still a Gen1 engine, it did receive some Gen2 engine enhancements (windage tray, baffled oil pan, etc.) and HP increased slightly to 415 and torque to 488

* Gen2 rear exit exhaust

* Upgraded stronger and stiffer rear differential

* Uprated drive shaft

* Upgraded cooling system

* Power steering cooler added

* New and improved soft top (I believe it's the same as the Gen2, with different front post mounts)

* New and improved side windows (although they should've had Vipermania design them

* New factory hard top (optional)

Probably some other stuff I missed, but you get the idea.

If you shop around you can find the 96 RT/10s in the mid $30K range in nice shape. Oh and they are also limited editions with color schemes that were only offered in 1996, so they are very unique in their own right.

Hope that helps,
Cal

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey carguy07 I was looking at your gallery. Beautiful Gen I!!!! Interesting color that green.

Thanks! It's not the most popular, but it is unique and looks way better in person. By the way the pics of Alex and the pimpware are NOT me. An inside joke for people who have been here for a while.