How much for: 1992 RT/10 , #9

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend has asked me to help him price:

A red 1992 RT/10 that is production number #9.
He believes the 1st 7 cars were test cars, and that #8 went to Lee Iococa, and #9 went to Robert Eaton. This car is still titled in his name.

The car has 1600 miles on it and is immaculate.

Is there a market for this car, and if so, at what price ?

Thanks....

OP
OP
A

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the fact that it's #9 and titled to Robert Eaton add any value ?

Robert James Eaton (born February, 1940 in Buena Vista, Colorado) is a U.S. automobile businessman.
He grew up in Arkansas City, Kansas.
He graduated with a B.S. degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Kansas in 1963. He was in the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
He was the Chairman and CEO of Chrysler Corporation from 1993 until 1998. In that position, he was responsible for the sale of Chrysler Corporation to Daimler-Benz which formed DaimlerChrysler. [1]

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If the car is a true ****** with no stories, I would guess you could get mid 40's pretty quick. More than that would take holding out for the right buyer. IMO

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Twenty years from now it will be worth a bundle at Barrett-Jackson, until then I don't think it's worth too much more that Jon Voight's Lebaron.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the fact that it's #9 and titled to Robert Eaton add any value ?

Robert James Eaton (born February, 1940 in Buena Vista, Colorado) is a U.S. automobile businessman.
He grew up in Arkansas City, Kansas.
He graduated with a B.S. degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Kansas in 1963. He was in the Kappa Sigma Fraternity.
He was the Chairman and CEO of Chrysler Corporation from 1993 until 1998. In that position, he was responsible for the sale of Chrysler Corporation to Daimler-Benz which formed DaimlerChrysler. [1]
That and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. (sorry i couldn't resist)

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would say it is worth $5k more than a standard '92. I just sold my '02 FE GTS formerly owned by Joe Perry of Aerosmith. The buyer was a huge fan and that is why he chose my car (for conversation sake), but I don't think it added more than $1-2k in value... Good luck with the sale!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the first rock ever made. I set it next to one I found yesterday. They look the same.

Moral of story. Only a purist gives a flip about car history like that.

Unless you have time to wait for a purist, what was said before about $$ probably applies.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think just the low serial # adds some value. Whether #9 was sold to Robert Eaton or someone from the local 7-11, having a single digit serial # adds some value IMO. Long story short, I think the serial # adds value more than the name on the title. How much, I dont know.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen this car at auctions and it never really brought what the owners thought it would bring, maybe my memory is getting "old" but I think the last time I saw this car it wasn't quite "perfect" it showed being driven and not put into someone's car collection like a collector would...needed to be highly detailed....value of ANY thing is what the buyer is offering and the seller accepts at that moment, look at the recent housing market, some houses are a great bargain now, older Duesenburgs brought multi million years back but not now ! Cars move their value by the buyer "buying their childhoods back" that is why musclecars are strong on the auction block now, look at the BJ auction every year out west, the cars bring MORE than their probable worth BUT at the moment, people spend more in the circus atmosphere, I think value is what is accepted at the time!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to poke anyone in the eye or hijack the thread, but given the discussions on the value of cars recently, it seems the typical low mileage/immaculate/rare version Gen 1 may stretch to $40K while the high mileage/used/typical can sell for $30K. (plus or minus your opinion.) After 15 years the car has not really "gained" as an investment, it has only "depreciated" $10K less. Or for $10K you could have used it and saved the costs per mile on the other car you must have driven.

Sorry, my opinion is showing. While some cars will always be worth more and some less, the difference in an overall economic analysis of your personal transportation and entertainment costs is down to third or fourth level effects, isn't it? Cars just aren't investment vehicles... (pun intended.)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Back in July, a 1992 was advertised here and claimed SOLD. The price started $29595 and droped to $26995. IT was a CA car, had miles descrepancies, and the seller would not disclose the vin ( I know the car)

So these can be found for cheap. and wont be worth much for 15 more years unless perfect. 1992 was built in almost perfect sequence......

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car from Russell Myers the cartoonist of Broomhilda. I had him do a drawing on the sunvisor and sign it. Not for any added resale value but just because he is a cool guy and it is a cool story. It makes the car a little unique.

I haven't seen any of the "story" cars go for much more than a couple of thousand more than a normal car....and only then if the story has meaning to the buyer.

OP
OP
A

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This car is currenttly in a garage somewhere in the DFW area, and the owner thought that a price in the $80's was "reasonable."

Boy, is he in for a shock.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BINGO ! ...b i n g o and Bingo was his name oh :lmao:

I have the first rock ever made. I set it next to one I found yesterday. They look the same.

Moral of story. Only a purist gives a flip about car history like that.

Unless you have time to wait for a purist, what was said before about $$ probably applies.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom- You and I are from the same school. For $10k you can drive the "chit" out of the car for 10 years. That's pretty cheap entertainment when you think about it...

(now which smiley should I pick) :drive:

Not to poke anyone in the eye or hijack the thread, but given the discussions on the value of cars recently, it seems the typical low mileage/immaculate/rare version Gen 1 may stretch to $40K while the high mileage/used/typical can sell for $30K. (plus or minus your opinion.) After 15 years the car has not really "gained" as an investment, it has only "depreciated" $10K less. Or for $10K you could have used it and saved the costs per mile on the other car you must have driven.

Sorry, my opinion is showing. While some cars will always be worth more and some less, the difference in an overall economic analysis of your personal transportation and entertainment costs is down to third or fourth level effects, isn't it? Cars just aren't investment vehicles... (pun intended.)

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining who Robert Eaton was. Since he sold Chrysler to Daimler and that did not work out too well for either company, perhaps that will add even more value to this car!
PAvenom RT/10

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte