how much for a clutch??

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dealers tells me i need a clutch and valve. 50K miles.
$1800 out the door.
is that fair?
thanks
tom

rosco

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1800 to pull the transmission off the car and reinstall it?
fair price. jump on it.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW: You may want to consider replacing the $20 rear main seal while you're in there. Maybe even the trans input & output shaft seals as well. You've already paid to pull the trans out, might as well spend another $100 and save headaches & oil leaks down the road. Pilot & throw out bearings are another $100 worth of insurance as well.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it a good deal? I'm being serious, not a smartass.
Here's about what I paid for parts when I replaced my clutch.
Master Cylinder: Around $100 "VPA"
Slave Cylinder: A little under $300 "VPA"
LUK clutch kit: Under $200 "Ebay" (This is the OEM clutch)

I don't know what you mean by "valve", but even replacing all of the above on mine only comes up to about $600 in parts. If the dealership gives you a comfort factor, then whatever the savings going elsewhere might not be worth it, but I would look for the parts myself. Then find a competent shop to do the work. Replacing a clutch is replacing a clutch. The real PITA is bleeding the clutch, but a mechanic with a manual can figure it out.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should NOT be more than $1000.

BEWARE OF DEALERS! They always go toward that damn clutch if there is any problem at all. If the rear tire is leaking air it probably the clutch!

May just be the cylinder depending on your issue. The clutch isn't a major repair on these things. Hoist it up, unhook the drive shaft unbolt tranny, drop replace. No need of excessive amounts of labor cost.

Get another estimate.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer books clutch at like 9 hours (at least on Gen1/2's)....

If you have a 3-3.5ft extension for you socket set (impact tools I hope) you can have the trans down in about an hour.

Tom

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems high but hey, I'm new!!!! Good luck!

Is 50K a good amount of time for the clutch too last? Obviously, it depends on driving style but is this a good rule-of-thumb?

Matt162

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would say thats rather expensive. I got a Spec +3 clutch for a little over 750. pulling the trans is a piece of cake on these cars..Reguardless of it being easy, everything still takes time...Id get a quote elsewhere!

DopedSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$1800 is wayy too much!

There's no way I would give that kind of money to the stealership for a clutch job.

sctdev

Viper Owner
Reaction score
50K miles is kind of relative. It depends on how you drive. Slipping the clutch to avoid wheel spin on a fast start heats it up and cause more wear. The same kind of thing may happen on every start if you are slow getting the clutch fully engaged. it's just a liitle bit of extra wear, but it adds up over time.

For a street driven car 50K seems a bit low to me. For an aggressively driven car it's about right.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way too much. A good shop should only take 3-4 hours max to change a Viper clutch out. It is one of the easiest cars to work on in that regard.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a few hours to remove and replace trans, and that is while watching TV and visiting with friends while doing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4