How much is too much?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am currently 20K into parts alone on my upgrades and still haven't got the car back yet. Might add others too while its in the shop, currently going in is a Paxton system, headers, cats, exhaust, vec 3, lowering, & rims & tires. Have I forgot something? Starting to think I am crazy as a loon to be spending this kind of cash on improving a car that was as near perfect as could be to begin with:rolaugh: I am dreading the labor bill I am going to see for putting all this stuff in. Is anyone else as obsessed as I am? Tell me I'm not stupid or crazy :)

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not stupid, not crazy, if i had the cash (let alone the car) i would be doing tons of upgrades myself....twin turbo *drool* i cant stop modding my truck so i guess ive been bit by the mod bug, dont worry about the cash you spent just bask in the glory of the viper of your dreams, then go beat some zo6's for me...

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know I ask myself that question more times than I care to remember? It's going on 13 weeks now and I'm anxious to get my car back from Heffner's with a Twin Turbo Automatic Transmission install.

Then on top of that I'm trying to figure where to put my car as I'm in the middle of buying a 2 car garage house with 4 cars!! And if that isn't bad enough this game we call the Stock Market loses all my $$ in the last couple days to pay for all this.....

Murphy's Law? Yea, I believe in it !! :crazy2:

Last edited:

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:lmao: you're asking a bunch of car freaks thier opionon...They will tell you "your perfectly normal".........Ask some random guy at a Starbucks and see what he says.....:lmao:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dont think about it. Everytime I look at the car and then start it, I giggle and that is worth every dime and then some. At this point, I have done everything i wanted besides big power... Struggling with the money required to do it right.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As long as your checkbook can cover the checks you write than screw it. Hell my wife thinks my Ford GT is a mustang. I told her I paid 45k for it.:D

P.S. Your car will be sick when you get it back!

usaf0016

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as your checkbook can cover the checks you write than screw it. Hell my wife thinks my Ford GT is a mustang. I told her I paid 45k for it.:D

P.S. Your car will be sick when you get it back!

hah thats the funniest thing ive heard all day... :lmao::usa:

proggod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am into about 20k on my viper and its currently at dc performance getting work done on it.

My corvette I am putting 75k into it, don't expect to see it for another month either. Can't wait to get atleast one of the two back :)

steponz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just dont think about it. Everytime I look at the car and then start it, I giggle and that is worth every dime and then some. At this point, I have done everything i wanted besides big power... Struggling with the money required to do it right.

I couldn't have said it better...

My upgrades are going in........

Can't wait to get my paxton in....

Can't wait for rims to come....Dam and Jeff Lemke...Man I want that hood in carbon fiber...

The addiction is killing me.... hehe :p

Joe

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fast Too, you may wish to take a hard look at Motons, lightweight rotors, flywheel, and not to overlook the Quaife diff either...
In addition to what you've already done these would certainly be worthwhile mods. You did ask the question.
Anyway, enjoy your 'new' car when you get her back.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to be the fly in the ointment. But I used to pour money into my old 02 ACR (bought new, and always modding). Then when I bought my 06 I had the paxton set up added before Woodhouse delivered. And then I went wheel/Tire crazy for a while too. Did random mods like NAVI, Lowering Kit, Comp Coupe oil pan, and Accusump system. And then started thinking really hard about exhaust and roller rockers, and DC computer, light flywheel, etc.

But then I started thinking, when is enough ever going to be enough? So I stopped. Mods are great, but how many do we need? The paxton already creates serious traction issues during the cold months in Chicago (cold dense air, cold tires/ground = tons of power and no traction).

And of course, up until last week, the market was really the best place to have your money, not in cars and mods. I dont know, I guess I just want to deliver on my plan'ed retirement age of 45 and be done with it all. So I'll just put the money in the market, enjoy my 700+hp Viper and consider well enough, good enough !!

Thats my take. But if you have tons of money, and nothing better to do with it, and its endless, then by all means MOD your *** off. For me its a balance between being smart with my money and having fun with my baby (aka 06 Viper Coupe).

Jon

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to be the fly in the ointment. But I used to pour money into my old 02 ACR (bought new, and always modding). Then when I bought my 06 I had the paxton set up added before Woodhouse delivered. And then I went wheel/Tire crazy for a while too. Did random mods like NAVI, Lowering Kit, Comp Coupe oil pan, and Accusump system. And then started thinking really hard about exhaust and roller rockers, and DC computer, light flywheel, etc.

But then I started thinking, when is enough ever going to be enough? So I stopped. Mods are great, but how many do we need? The paxton already creates serious traction issues during the cold months in Chicago (cold dense air, cold tires/ground = tons of power and no traction).

And of course, up until last week, the market was really the best place to have your money, not in cars and mods. I dont know, I guess I just want to deliver on my plan'ed retirement age of 45 and be done with it all. So I'll just put the money in the market, enjoy my 700+hp Viper and consider well enough, good enough !!

Thats my take. But if you have tons of money, and nothing better to do with it, and its endless, then by all means MOD your *** off. For me its a balance between being smart with my money and having fun with my baby (aka 06 Viper Coupe).

Jon
I was thinking along the same lines. But about a year ago I had three months down time. Bored out of my mind!!! I think you will have to find some type of happy medium...

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am currently 20K into parts alone on my upgrades and still haven't got the car back yet. Might add others too while its in the shop, currently going in is a Paxton system, headers, cats, exhaust, vec 3, lowering, & rims & tires. Have I forgot something? Starting to think I am crazy as a loon to be spending this kind of cash on improving a car that was as near perfect as could be to begin with:rolaugh: I am dreading the labor bill I am going to see for putting all this stuff in. Is anyone else as obsessed as I am? Tell me I'm not stupid or crazy :)

I am the president of the Western region of Viper Modder's Anonymous. We are a 12-step program support group for those who believe that they might have a viper modding addiction. You are welcome to attend one of our support group sessions. It's free, and you can gain the support of other good folks who are in the same boat.

For those who might be unfamiliar with our 12 step program, here is a breakdown of the 12 steps of Viper Modding Addiction Support:

1: You must admit that although your stock vehicle has over 500 horsepower, that you feel powerless over supercharged vettes, new C6 Z06's and even the occasional turbo Supra—and that this makes your life unmanageable.

2: You must come to believe that a Power greater than ourselves can restore your Viper to its rightful place as the most bad ass car you will ever encounter.

3: You must make a decision to turn your Viper and all of your financial resources over to the care of DC Performance, Jason Heffner, Doug Levin, "He who must not be named" or another such higher Power.

4: You must make a searching and fearless modification inventory of your Viper.

5: You must admit to yourself, the higher Power, and to all those on the VCA Board the exact nature of the perceived shortcomings of your stock Viper.

6: You must become entirely ready to have the higher Power remove all these defects in performance.

7: Humbly hand your credit card to Him, and beg Him to to remove your Viper's shortcomings.

8: While your Viper is in the care of the higher Power, you must make a list of all silly, vain persons you know who have cars that previously were faster than your stock Viper.

9: After your Viper has been cleansed of its shortcomings, and you are no longer powerless, you must seek out and administer to such silly, vain persons and their lame cars the beat down they so richly deserve. Make sure to place wagers and take their money whenever possible so that you can give it to the higher Power.

10. Drive the wheels off of your modified, bad-ass Viper and continue to take a frank inventory of additional mods you may need.

11. Continue to improve your Viper to a level that is well beyond your capacity as a driver, and pray to Fred Kinder, Bonderant, Skip Barber and the other deities of driving skill, that they will will protect you during the learning curve of driving your now insanely fast machine.

12. Open a seperate checking account in your name only, and have the statements sent to your work address. Make all tithes and offerings to the higher Power out of this account. (This really should be the first step.)

P.S. I've spent more on go fast parts (just parts, not labor) than I did on my car.

Last edited:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The mere thought of pulling out my files, going through my "mountain of mod" receipts and learning the total is terrifying. I probably could have bought a house somewhere.....but..... every time I fire that beast up and take it out, it's hard to keep from grinning.....

Dan

PS Don't add a lightweight flywheel to your Paxton car. This will decrease your "driveability" on the street. With the power drawn by the Paxton at idle / low rpm, you'll want the stock flywheel. Did it, then un-did it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960