How much is your car cost? = rude

turbo5oh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
like everyone has been saying kids first.. i always let them sit in the car and now a days every kid has a cell phone and i take the pic with them in it. it always gives them a smile and i tell them stay in school and that seat will be yours someday. Now for the smart A** i tell them i walked into the dealer and drove it out and they look confused. Then you have the people say wow what do you do for a living and i respond with i am a fuel transfer technician (aka gas pump attendant ) thats always for a good laugh and others when they ask how do you afford it i say im single not maried and no kids lol.. then on a diff note the best is when you get the guy that says nice vette and you have to correct him lol i think thats more annoying then the how much.. along with the vette guys that wave to you thinking your one of them lol o well...

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends who is asking.

If it is a kid or teenager who is honestly digging the car I'll tell them what they are worth and generally give them a ride and talk about the car. That is fun. No problem there.

If it a ********* with big b---'s - I tell her it costs $450,000 and I have three of them...... "I like to spend lots of money on pretty things........wanna go for a ride?"

If a fat clueless male adult asks - I tell him my employer bought it for me. Clueless will ask what I do for a living...."Me.......*** ****.....and LOTS OF IT!!" Then I'll squeeze his bicep and say "Someone's been working out..........wanna go for a ride?"

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends who is asking.

If it is a kid or teenager who is honestly digging the car I'll tell them what they are worth and generally give them a ride and talk about the car. That is fun. No problem there.

If it a ********* with big b---'s - I tell her it costs $450,000 and I have three of them...... "I like to spend lots of money on pretty things........wanna go for a ride?"

If a fat clueless male adult asks - I tell him my employer bought it for me. Clueless will ask what I do for a living...."Me.......*** ****.....and LOTS OF IT!!" Then I'll squeeze his bicep and say "Someone's been working out..........wanna go for a ride?"

so are you in trouble if either one says yes :omg:

funny, lol, thanks

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I Agree!!! Did you find bumble bees to pass out? I am still looking for a case of Red/White stripe GTS matchbox or hotwheels to pass out while in the GTS. If you have Bumble Bee hotwheels can i have one for my collection?

PartsRack has a goodly supply of DOODADS. Email me!

Bumble-Bees 1/64 and 1/36.....[we show sending a couple to Tony last year]..... We also have stick-pens with yellow cars on top! And keychains and lapel pins, etc.

We also have Red/Silver 1/64 and 1/36.....the silvers LOOK white in 1/64. We also have 1/24 red/White.

And XLRASHN-Jim your 50 are on the way, tracking info provided THANKS 2 VIC and U.

Last edited:

smcosta90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't usually mind answering the question. Sometimes I say MSRP when it was new and sometimes I tell them what I paid.

Some guy asked me these four questions when I was at a gas station one night.

"Is it yours?"
"How much did you pay for it?"
"How much do you owe?"
"What's it worth now?"

I gave him the "what are you an a-hole" look, shook my head and got back in my car.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"If it a ********* with big b---'s - I tell her it costs $450,000 and I have three of them...... "I like to spend lots of money on pretty things........wanna go for a ride?"

John........................is your wife ok with that answer????

JackDud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading some of these stories! I'm glad to hear how nice you guys are to on lookers. I remember I went to a small car show with two friends four years ago (I was 15 then). We didn't expect much from the show, but boy was I FLOORED when I turned around and saw a red RT/10. After 15 minutes of oogling and drooling, my friend and I still couldn't work up the courage to ask the owner to open up the hood, and maybe rev the engine for us. We made a girl ask for us. The owner didn't even hesitate to do so, and even asked if we'd like to sit in the car. It was my first time sitting in a viper, and hell, four years later and I'm still trembling. Here she is, by the way
[media]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/jackdud1/CIMG1992.jpg[/media]
[media]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/jackdud1/CIMG1960-1.jpg[/media] Love the plate!

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I usually say about a hundred. It seems to surprise people that don't really know. I bet most people go straight to the internet and look it up anyway. It used to bother me, but it does not anymore. What really bothers me though is when they ask where I work. I tell them IRS and say now what was your name again... :lmao:

K

Kaya

People ask all kinds of questions.
Doesn't cost a thing to be nice and maybe influence a future viper owner in the making.

That's how I look at it! But also, I have had guys say things to me assuming it was my husbands car. I usually tell them that he has 4 cars of his own to drive.

I am always nice to kids, and adults who just seem curious. I often let kids sit in the drivers seat, because they get a big kick out of the car. I tell them that if they want a nice car they need to go to college.:drive:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depending on what type of person I'm dealing with, I have two answers.

If discussing a used unit, my response is "For the cost of a fully loaded new minivan, you could be driving a Viper...."

If I'm quoting cost on a new Viper my response is "About $158.00 per horsepower.."

The minivan analogy really screws with their minds. I first started using this answer when I bought a used H1 Hummer. When quized about how expensive it is, I'd always respond "would you rather drive a minivan or an H1 Hummer?....cost is about the same"

Cheers,
George

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a rude uncouth question, for sure. However, I don't want to come off as a snobby sports car owner. That will get your car, or someone elses car down the road, keyed.

I usually say " 1$, I won it in a raffel! " It just makes you look like the luckiest SOB that you won the darn thing! And you don't have to actually disclose what you spent. What's the old saying," I'ld rather be lucky than good" ?

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! I'd answer the question: You're right! You know I had to pull "X" many teeth, "X" many root canals & "X" bridges to pay for this thing. And you, my friend, paid for the personalized license plate, thank you!

I dont mind the question all the time but what does annoy me is when people say.. "Gee, dentistry must be treating you well". "No wonder you guys are so expensive" I just laugh and say.. Your right. I do one of the things for a living that you "do it yourselfers" wont tackle at home in your garages. See you for your appointment next week. And by the way. Dont forget to floss. LOL

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got sucker punched by this question a couple of Weeks ago....

I replied the the Mustang kid: Wow, that's quite a car! You'll eat my lunch on the road! Lets go cruisin for girls... $100 to the first one who gets a hottie in the right seat....

Usually ends the conversation and gets all his friends standing around him laughing at his small pulley...

The one question that is asked that I've learned is usually a trap...is "how much horsepower?" It's almost always a 20 something that owns a Mustang and changed his pulleys, added a Cold Air Intake, etc, and when I tell them 500 Horsepower, I get a "that's all? My Mustang is pushing 650 just with a pulley change". Now don't get me wrong, I think the Mustang is the best bang for the buck out there, but they just don't get it.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I give them an honest answer. " I don't know. My wife handles the finances."

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's spring time and time for my 08 viper to come out of the garage. The most annoying and I feel rude question I get asked anywhere I go is "how much is your car?" I just feel uncomfortable when someone screms that or asks at a drive thru. I just say the truth about 100.

Anyone get this question a lot or have a better response? I didn't get the viper to show off I just love sports cars.

I remember an old movie where a guy drives into a rural gas satation in a new Mercedes SL and an old hayseed in a beatup pickup asks what a car like that costs. The guy replies "about twice what you make in a year" and the guy looks at him in disbelief and says $10,000?"

benson8708

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like to say, "It cost me an arm and two legs!" lol and they giggle and realize I am not going to tell. I don't wanna say 28,000 dollars. You can't even buy a nice minivan for that. Look if you find the deal of a life time do you tell complete stranger where to find the same deal. Hell no only friends get to know the real price!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang